Banning Baby Bikers: Kids told not to drive motorcycles

webfact

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

Few years back my wife and I were visiting some friends who live on a small soi off the main highway.  Everyone sitting outside on the front patio talking.  Woman across the soi yells at her young son (later found out he was 10) to go to the market for something.  Kid hops on a Click, roars up the soi, turns RIGHT, against the flow of traffic, and smack into the grill of a Hilux.  Dead before his body hit the pavement.  Mother went ballistic screaming at the driver of the truck.  

That's the mentality here, and when you  say something negative about it, you get accused of Thai bashing.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As long as the economic picture puts 80+% of the population on 2 wheelers or unbuckled in the back of pickup trucks, the numbers are going to be grim.  I can't imagine parents tossing the keys of the Corolla to a 12 year old kid.  Or even a 1200 cc Goldwing.

Scooters are so much like bicycles, the transition is too easy.   At least the mechanics of it.  Sadly, the mental transition is harder to judge.

I'll approach from a slightly different view as most of the other points have been said. We all know what the law is, enforced or not. If we choose to break those laws well, blah, blah....A Doctor or Hospital is not quite the same. These are the people that have to try and put things back together again and I dare say a lot of us wouldn't be able to stomach it. Seeing an operation is one thing but when they have to bring the saw out...If people won't listen to this authority then breaking the law isn't even second place. Some years ago Udo(r)n General did a rally with floats etc showing motorbikes and (artificial) casualties but I understood (my wife being a Head Nurse at the time) that it didn't get much attention. 

There are only two things important here and that is Money and, as some else pointed out, losing face. Perhaps if parents had to pay for their children's 'aside the law fatality' then...yes I know, it ain't gonna happen. 

22 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

I remember I got Young Driver Licence at the age of 14. It allowed driving a normal car while accompanied by a Driver Licence holding adult in the other front seat. Never heard of 10-speed bicycles back then.

My first 10 speed was in the early '70s.  Gasoline prices had skyrocketed to $0.49 a gallon, there were long lines at the pumps and I got in just ahead of one of the many bicycling crazes.   Could have easily bought a nice 2nd hand scooter (dirt bike) for what I paid for that 10 speed.   Mom reminded me that I was bigger than her, but I had to sleep sometime.

On 11/30/2016 at 2:40 PM, trogers said:

Cost of a funeral is less than the cost to bring a kid up to late teen and then bearing the extra cost of the wedding and bringing up grandchildren...

Now you know why they let Darwin takes its course.

dont forget the possible "cash  bonus" on death also

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Few years back my wife and I were visiting some friends who live on a small soi off the main highway.  Everyone sitting outside on the front patio talking.  Woman across the soi yells at her young son (later found out he was 10) to go to the market for something.  Kid hops on a Click, roars up the soi, turns RIGHT, against the flow of traffic, and smack into the grill of a Hilux.  Dead before his body hit the pavement.  Mother went ballistic screaming at the driver of the truck.  

aint  that  the  truth, she'd  have  been  better  of  having  a  long  hard  look  in  the  mirror

22 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Let's not get too "western" over this.  Happens in most third world countries and besides how would the little darlings get to school every day?  I think in some states in the US it is legal to drive at 14?  It is often a matter of needs must.  If you look at most of the alcohol fuels motorbike accidents everyday on Thai roads then this really is small beer (excuse the pun)

wife  cycled 10  miles  daily,  no  motorbikes in 1988 for  her,  no  money either

9 hours ago, George Graham said:

Notwithstanding the fact that the story (I read) is in English, perhaps you might be good enough to translate it for all us biased people.

We have learnt that if the govt. says they will do something it tends to happen so we reduce the behaviour.

Thais learn that nothing will be done and the police are just putting it out there for the world to see.

So the way we interpret this news is different. We get upset when it is not actually followed up on, but Thais know it is just an empty gesture and they do this over and over and over. So when a thai sees this they just smile knowing that it will be forgotten in a week. So what you think the meaning of these police statements are is not what thais think they mean.

So no need to get excited nothing will change.

9 hours ago, bandito said:

My daughter learnt to ride a motor bike at age 10. My son at 15 and is the only one, in our extended family, who has a license because of the frequented police checks. About my wife and me, the cops could'nt care less as we are very old people but still riding a motor bike. Never had a license in the 40 jrs I live here. 555, any comments?

Yes,that not something to be proud of

10 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Geeze I got a problem following this statement. Translation please. 

You need a explanation?  It is very simple!

If they do not die by 15 years old, sooner of later the way they been taught to drive they will kill themselves one way or another.  If they are lucky not to die will continue through life teaching their children how to kill themselves. Their peers, parents, leaders of their government come from the same school of driving which has ranked them to be second if not the worse in the world for driving.

They come up with these nonsense rules and statement currently  " telling them "  when it is already the Law of the land and their own driving rules and law which comes from the West isn't being applied across the board.  Apply the current law and fairly and the problem will slowly be reduced. 

How does the government going to fix the problem when they are the problem!

On 11/30/2016 at 1:40 PM, webfact said:

Yesterday was the official launch of the "Don't Ride if you are under 15" campaign. It was launched at the Thai Health Office in Sathorn, reportedBangkok Post.

Amazing news , they are actually trying to do something about it.   But as we all know , it will never happen .  Maybe they can save a few lifes out of a million. 

23 hours ago, Keesters said:

It's a long time since I got my kid (then 15) a motorcycle license but at that time he was allowed up to 90cc only. Had to wait till he was 18 for a larger bike.

Anybody know the current (legal) situation?

Could start with the schools. They are supposed to be educators after all. 555. Don't let anyone onto school grounds with a motorbike unless licensed and helmeted.  Or as a real surprise, start with a can't leave unless.......the same rules

When my son started college ( I won't say the name and location of the school) the police came, in his first year there, at his school to give advice about riding motorbikes.

The advice, as given by the police?

Always wear a helm and never mind about a license.

No helm will be a fine, no license is mai pen rai.

12 hours ago, docspinoff said:

I think Falang;s should start the whole process by driving correctly show an example . but that will never happen . they all just moan about thai drivers/ riders  but they do the same .

When in Rome.....................!

23 hours ago, trogers said:

The police don't care less because they know you will probably upgrade to a big bike soon - motorized wheelchair...

I drive around here on motorbikes approximately 30 years, daily.

Never had an accident and no one in my family did.

So your stupid remark will be seen for what it is, stupid.

What people like you do here in Thailand is beyond me.

Complain about everything the Thais do or not do.

What the Thais do in there own country is of no concern to you or any foreigner for that matter.

42 minutes ago, bandito said:

I drive around here on motorbikes approximately 30 years, daily.

Never had an accident and no one in my family did.

So your stupid remark will be seen for what it is, stupid.

What people like you do here in Thailand is beyond me.

Complain about everything the Thais do or not do.

What the Thais do in there own country is of no concern to you or any foreigner for that matter.

Of course it is of no concern to many of us here like you have said, if we have no weeping hearts. And after 30 years of living here, your heart seems to have hardened. That's why it does not matter an iota to you to see the bodies of kids under the wheels of trucks.

Our bashing can be seen to be like a parent chastising a child to try teaching them to grow to be upright.

4 minutes ago, trogers said:

Of course it is of no concern to many of us here like you have said, if we have no weeping hearts. And after 30 years of living here, your heart seems to have hardened. That's why it does not matter an iota to you to see the bodies of kids under the wheels of trucks.

Our bashing can be seen to be like a parent chastising a child to try teaching them to grow to be upright.

I live here for 40 years but started driving motorcycles when I got living upcountry.

Never had an accident and neither had my son or other family members, not in BKK or upcountry.

Never saw a kid under the wheels of a truck, pathetic reply of you designed for bleeding hearts.

Your and others bashing is seen as meddling in Thailands affairs.

You are allowed to stay here and thats all there is to it.

Thailands affairs are Thailands affairs, not yours.

18 minutes ago, bandito said:

I live here for 40 years but started driving motorcycles when I got living upcountry.

Never had an accident and neither had my son or other family members, not in BKK or upcountry.

Never saw a kid under the wheels of a truck, pathetic reply of you designed for bleeding hearts.

There is none so blind as he who would not see...

tmp_16239-14094897_1251726294866945_1508211534_n1561706840.mp4

Edited by trogers

Just now, bandito said:

You've certainly settled into the Thai way of things with Me, Me Me so it's ok for you and yours to do whatever they like as long as they get away with it.

Maybe you and your family have never had an accident but have you ever caused any ?

On 11/30/2016 at 2:21 PM, dhream said:

In one area of a northern city, the police regularly have a roadblock.

They nab decrepit pick up trucks, and helmetless riders, usually wave everyone else through. 

At least those guys seem to be doing their job.

Don't forget how the BIB find the time to harass the Tourist that come here to spend their hard earned cash to get harassed and humiliated .

16 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

You've certainly settled into the Thai way of things with Me, Me Me so it's ok for you and yours to do whatever they like as long as they get away with it.

Maybe you and your family have never had an accident but have you ever caused any ?

No and none.

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

You need a explanation?  It is very simple!

If they do not die by 15 years old, sooner of later the way they been taught to drive they will kill themselves one way or another.  If they are lucky not to die will continue through life teaching their children how to kill themselves. Their peers, parents, leaders of their government come from the same school of driving which has ranked them to be second if not the worse in the world for driving.

They come up with these nonsense rules and statement currently  " telling them "  when it is already the Law of the land and their own driving rules and law which comes from the West isn't being applied across the board.  Apply the current law and fairly and the problem will slowly be reduced. 

How does the government going to fix the problem when they are the problem!

Thank You I get your drift now. It is simple if you explain it properly. You have to flesh things out when posting. I am not a mind reader though I wish. Looking forward to your next indepth post. 

Be interesting to see a breakdown of the stats, showing how many babies, toddlers and infants died as passengers.

It is commonplace here to see adults riding while holding babies in their arms, on their laps or perched on the pillion seat, looking over mum or dad's shoulder, or standing in the well of a machine. 

Needless to say, there is usually not a crash helmet in site.

In the event of an accident or emergency, these kids have little chance of surviving without serious injury.

The police, for understandable reasons, are pretty pragmatic about this kind of parental responsibility, but with such horrendous accident figures Thailand really can't afford to look the other way much longer.

4 hours ago, bandito said:

Ah.... someone without knowledge of the world outside Thailand, and thailands position in that world, or the fact that the aforesaid position does matter, and effects the lives of every Thai, in many many ways.

thailands affairs are everyone's affairs, as a member of several geopolitical organizations.... that's irrefutable.... I wonder were one plants ones head to be in any way oblivious to that ... extreme example... tsunami relief (that's ok... no need for thanks... your geopolitical allies, and others, wanted to help)

but more worrying is the seeming lack of concern for fragile children, more prone to bone injuries during development, and less prone to common sense, having not been sufficiently exposed to it.

i wonder to what extend this argument happened in west, with baby seat carriers in cars... but usually, nowadays, common sense, concern for the baby / childs welfare, AND LEARNING, over ride such comments as "shut up, dis my cuntry"

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

Ah.... someone without knowledge of the world outside Thailand, and thailands position in that world, or the fact that the aforesaid position does matter, and effects the lives of every Thai, in many many ways.

thailands affairs are everyone's affairs, as a member of several geopolitical organizations.... that's irrefutable.... I wonder were one plants ones head to be in any way oblivious to that ... extreme example... tsunami relief (that's ok... no need for thanks... your geopolitical allies, and others, wanted to help)

but more worrying is the seeming lack of concern for fragile children, more prone to bone injuries during development, and less prone to common sense, having not been sufficiently exposed to it.

i wonder to what extend this argument happened in west, with baby seat carriers in cars... but usually, nowadays, common sense, concern for the baby / childs welfare, AND LEARNING, over ride such comments as "shut up, dis my cuntry"

@bandito...You've been going around with your eyes blinkered?

11 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Thank You I get your drift now. It is simple if you explain it properly. You have to flesh things out when posting. I am not a mind reader though I wish. Looking forward to your next indepth post. 

My post are brain twisters?  has nothing to do with reading minds...  even I have to figure it out myself at times?