What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

Because property *never* goes down, the banks are too big to fail (only this time we have no money left to bail them in except the population's savings, just like Cyprus) Oh and a million other things stretched to the absolute limit, apart from investing here right now being somewhat optimistic to say the least. Now if you were looking at investments like, medicinal weed, pure water, alternative energy and traffic technology, I might put more faith in your optimism.
It takes an airline about an hour or two to change a route, just saying.

Silly silly boy this happened already in 2008 but in the USA not thailand!!
The banks failed properties we blown to pieces up to 80%drop through out the USA

Thailand was completely unaffected! And remains so

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourism figures all over the world are down. Still quite a few young people and backpackers around everywhere, but older people , indépendant travellers and families are feeling the pinch. The economic climate of Europe and most other countries is not good, so people are careful. Holidays closer to home. Nearly all the people  I talk to know thailand already, and have moved on. Older people who have condos here for the winter months are usually faithful, that's a different type of tourism. My neighbours cycle about, go to the market, and eat on their balconies with friends . Normal life. I would say that the exchange rate in Thailand is not helping to attract tourists either, and that it has nothing special to offer anymore. The beaches are not idyllic as they used to be, and there's a lot of competition world wide. Being a country far away from the Americas and Europe, i think the tourism figures will slowly blend into something much more reasonable, and the hoards of tourists will rapidly dwindle. 

27 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Silly silly boy this happened already in 2008 but in the USA not thailand!!
The banks failed properties we blown to pieces up to 80%drop through out the USA

Thailand was completely unaffected! And remains so

And you know this how? My property went down about 15% and it is now about 20% higher than ever. My rents are higher than ever.

Be careful with sweeping statements. Where exactly dropped 80%?

And you know this how? My property went down about 15% and it is now about 20% higher than ever. My rents are higher than ever.

Up to 80 % 10's of thousands of them!! NOT sweeping but spend a few minutes googling, Thailand has out performed the USA in real estate for the last 8 years!!

Any way it's getting off topic now.. Do some research, I can't do it for you

Good luck trying to sell it! On average they went down 50%

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

Good point.  I had dinner with a friend last night at a nice place not a dive, filled the table with many dishes of excellent Thai food, and drank many large Leos.  The total bill was less than 1000 baht.  How many of those reading this can do that in their home countries?

Trip Advisor, who should know a bit about tourism, came out with a survey only today to say that Bangkok was the cheapest holiday destination in SEA.You can extend that to the north,south east and west of this nation without fear. Anyone who says that Thailand is geting too expensive has to be joking.,CM has so many new hotels, GH's, restaurants.coffee shops its an incredibly competive market which keeps prices down and for some, unless they have very deep pockets or are good operators, go under.

As for not being able to hang out until early morning what percentage of tourists or locals for that matter want to be drinking after midnight, 5% ?

If you do on a regular basis suggest you may have a problem:smile:

12 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

As for not being able to hang out until early morning what percentage of tourists or locals for that matter want to be drinking after midnight, 5% ?

I do not know about percentages, but most over 60's like to be in bed by midnight

Under 50's tend to like to stay up a bit later and under 30's tend to stay up until the morning ,   Zoe and Spicy used to get going about 1 AM - 5 AM and Lucky used to get going about 3 AM- 9 AM .

I've seen hoards of young felangs at 1 AM between Spicy and Zoe looking for a place to drink and dance and they all go home disappointed

You can tap on a number of the LK bar's doors and they will let you in after hours....still not a good value, and it makes me feel like I am 15 drinking in somebody's parents basement, and the pickins are slim (and often fat).  There are a few places openly selling inside the moat, and those beer stores near CM Gate Market are selling beers with impunity..albeit not cold enough.  Has anyone else noticed the new Leo Bottles are do you all only drink old ones?

Just now, KhonKaenKowboy said:

You can tap on a number of the LK bar's doors and they will let you in after hours....still not a good value, 

You may get the occasional bar that puts the shutters down and lets the people inside finish off their drinks , but if you go in there , theres usually four drunken people standing at the bar whispering  in the dark with no music on .

Wandering the streets at 1 AM knocking on doors isnt my idea of a night out.

Theres also the possibility that if the RTP do show up, they could start asking for I.D. and as I dont carry my PP around with me , I could end up getting carted off the the Police station , I havent heard of that happening so far , but theres always the possibility .

8 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

To address the comment about the Rivermarket in Chiang Mai.

The Six year leased has expired. Owner of the land wanted 3-4 times the amount of rent to renew.

Owner felt it made better sense to open a new Dukes in Lampang and let the Rivermarket go.

thks for that,very interesting indeed, that The River Market is closed

its a Doors good evening to all

4 hours ago, dhream said:

Because property *never* goes down

Indeed it doesn't.  But even if it did then it doesn't matter all that much because it still brings in money.   This is also why buying a little on the high side isn't actually something to worry too much about;  over 10 years or so it doesn't really matter if you bought something for 2 million, 1.5 million or 2.5 million.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Spotlight closes about 1 AM  and thats a Go-go bar , not for most people to enjoy a drink .

Which other bars stay open in CM legally until 4 AM ? Let alone 4 AM , which bars stay open legally after 2 AM ?

4am on weekends.  Recently after Spicy closed, Spotlight was still going just fine.

But erm.. what's this legality you speak of?  :)  

Thailand cultivates a semi-legal corruption-harvest zone in all kinds of areas and nightlife is no exception.

8 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

To address the comment about the Rivermarket in Chiang Mai.

The Six year leased has expired. Owner of the land wanted 3-4 times the amount of rent to renew.

Owner felt it made better sense to open a new Dukes in Lampang and let the Rivermarket go.

Lamphun, not Lampang.

4 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This topic feels like an alternate world.. I saw the headline and thought it would be about the large numbers of people around town.    It's a GREAT high season, in face I didn't even notice much of a low season, at all.

A smattering of gems:

Spread some of your optimism to the many hotel employees who have lost their jobs, have had salary cuts (2% maximum allowable by the government), are getting a fraction of the 10% monthly service charge, etc., etc.

Also have you noticed all the tour guides advertising on FB to drive people around for the day using their personal automobile? That's unusual.

4 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Spread some of your optimism to the many hotel employees who have lost their jobs, have had salary cuts (2% maximum allowable by the government), are getting a fraction of the 10% monthly service charge, etc., etc.

Also have you noticed all the tour guides advertising on FB to drive people around for the day using their personal automobile? That's unusual.

You must not know many Thais.  The ones I know all have paid for cars and drink300 THB, flat, german beer, around Nimman three nights a week.  There is no possible way median household income is only 27000 per month in Thailand...must be at least 27,100.

14 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I had trouble booking a place recently for some visiting customers..   And they stay at big hotels too, the Meridien, Anantara, etc. 

And just walking around town you see lots and lots of tourists... anyone remember what it was like 5 or so years ago?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

On 11/18/2016 at 2:56 PM, seedy said:

Info has been received that Uber is no longer Illegal. but posting links to sites offering this service is covered by this Forum rule -

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.

Discussion of this service may Resume. But no contact info as per this Forum Rule -

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Indeed it doesn't.  But even if it did then it doesn't matter all that much because it still brings in money.   This is also why buying a little on the high side isn't actually something to worry too much about;  over 10 years or so it doesn't really matter if you bought something for 2 million, 1.5 million or 2.5 million.

4am on weekends.  Recently after Spicy closed, Spotlight was still going just fine.

Thailand cultivates a semi-legal corruption-harvest zone in all kinds of areas and nightlife is no exception.

Well done to the new updated website, why is Uber showing on this reply, Tech team - I hope you haven't paid for the upgrade.

Anyway, WTK,  Trying to include the quote that you replied to regarding property prices never go down.

Property prices DO go down but because of the mentality of the Thais, they will leave property empty for many years rather than discount them. 

How many empty properties are there for sale in CM at stupid prices and empty for many years, I've spent the last 6 months looking for a house and no one would budge on price. It was cheaper for me to have a house built.

2 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Sitting there watching girls on stage in bikinis looked bored and leaning against posts and moving their arms around a bit gets a bit dull after about 2 minutes .

Its a Go-go bar for a specific clientele , its for middle aged men, usually on their own to sit and leer at females in bikinis , not for everyone

12 hours ago, Grubster said:

I'm only afraid that they will decide less golfers equals higher prices to make up for it.  One Khon Kaen course is  600bt for a beat up old cart, won't be golfing there much if they don't raise the price. I think most of the long term stayers will stay here if they can, just because of the superior infrastructure and medical care, when compared to other SE asian countries.  Tourists will save a ton by choosing Cambodia. No good for golf there though.

There are three courses around PP and some interesting investment projects popping up.

Give it a few years.

10 hours ago, rogeroc said:

I think you mean Mike's Burgers! It was a bit of a landmark for the entrance to the boxing ring wasn't it?  Now it is just another typcal boxing ring bar, agree very uninspiring.

But Mike's disappeared all over the place didn't it? I heard he sold up and went to more lucrative climes.

Let's face it, it wasn't that good, just a bit of tasteless gut luggage for late night partygoers with the munchies.

Hasn't the boxing ring one turned into a pizza or kebab place or something?

7 minutes ago, Chicog said:

But Mike's disappeared all over the place didn't it? I heard he sold up and went to more lucrative climes.

Let's face it, it wasn't that good, just a bit of tasteless gut luggage for late night partygoers with the munchies.

Hasn't the boxing ring one turned into a pizza or kebab place or something?

Mike Pizza and Mikes Burgers were two different things , not the same . Although now all have gone .

The boxing ring one is now a bar and the other one opposite loco Elvis  still sells burgers, just a different name .

38 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Sitting there watching girls on stage in bikinis looked bored and leaning against posts and moving their arms around a bit gets a bit dull after about 2 minutes .

Its a Go-go bar for a specific clientele , its for middle aged men, usually on their own to sit and leer at females in bikinis , not for everyone

Long long time ago Spotlight was the place to go for a boys night out. Now it`s become like a dark cave deep in the abyss of the city. Nowadays it`s not my idea of fun and apparently the Spotlight is suppose to be the creme de la creme of Chiang Mai nightly entertainment, that really says just how much the rest of it sucks, what`s left, is overpriced and not good value for money. But obviously, bars are not the be all and end all for entertainments, but even the choice of real western style restaurants are limited and besides that there is hardly anything. It`s no wonder tourists are giving Chiang Mai a miss.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

There are three courses around PP and some interesting investment projects popping up.

Give it a few years.

From what I've seen and read, no sport suffered more because of the GFC than the game of golf.  Golf was closely tied to real estate markets and the supply was increasing as the number of players was decreasing.  A lot of golfers who gave it up because money was tight, realized they could do fine without it.  I have owned two GC homes and my parents one....neither of us would buy in a GC community again...the courses often hemorage money, be cause the people running them know about playing everyday; not running a sustainable business.  If your moo ban owns it; the homeowners could be on the hook for huge losses.  Trespassers and broken windows are another amenity.  Multiply a large swimming pool nightmare times 80 and you have a golf course.  A golf management company is often hired, but they can make things worse. Then there was World Class Hamburgers at the CR Airport Course..finally put out of its misery.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

6 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Trip Advisor, who should know a bit about tourism, came out with a survey only today to say that Bangkok was the cheapest holiday destination in SEA.You can extend that to the north,south east and west of this nation without fear. Anyone who says that Thailand is geting too expensive has to be joking.,CM has so many new hotels, GH's, restaurants.coffee shops its an incredibly competive market which keeps prices down and for some, unless they have very deep pockets or are good operators, go under.

Back in the 90s loads of people wanted to drink till dawn and after. I was there then.

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

1 AM now, I shall go for a look around LK

Most places had closed and locked up, a few places had a few people finishing off their drinks . One place was open, behind closed doors , but that is quite a hostile place , people in there are hostile and aggressive , if you dont buy them a drink 

SAM_3456.JPG

SAM_3451.JPG

SAM_3453.JPG

5 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

You can tap on a number of the LK bar's doors and they will let you in after hours....still not a good value, and it makes me feel like I am 15 drinking in somebody's parents basement, and the pickins are slim (and often fat).  There are a few places openly selling inside the moat, and those beer stores near CM Gate Market are selling beers with impunity..albeit not cold enough.  Has anyone else noticed the new Leo Bottles are do you all only drink old ones?

I'm not stimulated by any of the prospects in the bars on Loi Kroh, and I've looked often enough in the past 4 weeks. I can't imagine actually wanting to sneak around hoping for an open place after midnight just to drink overpriced suds. I did wander down at midnight the other day, not to drink but in case there were some attractive freelancers hanging around. However it was not to be so back to the hotel I went.

I'm not surprised that Pattaya regulars regard C M "nightlife" with scorn.