Phom Kor Thot: 'My Mate Nate' does apologetic wai for offensive prank against Thais

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On December 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM, freebyrd said:

So  you're saying it's OK to do anything you want and then a simple 'sorry' absolves you?! Not in the world I grew up in.

No, of course I didn't say that.

Look, if someone does something wrong then the punishment fits the severity of the mistake. In this case he said something silly that could have caused offence, however blowing things out of proportion is simply not required. He humbled himself, made an apology for his error now everyone should just move on...It's not as he he murdered someone or hurt a child in some way,, not need to over inflate it.,,,,That's how it is the World I grew up in..

27 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

No, of course I didn't say that.

Look, if someone does something wrong then the punishment fits the severity of the mistake. In this case he said something silly that could have caused offence, however blowing things out of proportion is simply not required. He humbled himself, made an apology for his error now everyone should just move on...It's not as he he murdered someone or hurt a child in some way,, not need to over inflate it.,,,,That's how it is the World I grew up in..

Insulting people on the street, even if done with a smile on your face, isn't just saying something silly. Humbled himself? You and I obviously grew up in very different worlds.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:03 PM, freebyrd said:

Not so. When I lived in Thailand, my Thai was a s good as his, it had to be given that I was working closely with many Thai people on a daily basis. And why would I be jealous of some baby faced Yank barely out of nappies diapers, a creature of the Youtube generation who needs to get some time in before giving others the 'benefit' of his wide experience.

And by the way, his accent is poor. Really working with Thais, mine was far more polished.

All that said, I kept my head down and didn't spend my days taking the pi*s out of them.

Fair enough, I believe you when you say his accent is better than his. So is mine. I simply said his was "fairly good" in other words much better than that of most foreigners (westerners) who can speak some Thai but by no means excellent, just better than average. I also agree that he is more interested in trying to be the centre of attention than doing anything productive or useful. It's just that I have seen so many bitter expats posting here (clearly you're not one of them) who seem to be jealous of any "Thaier than Thai" expat even if they can only speak a little bit of Thai yet they make no attempts at integrating themselves.

17 minutes ago, jimster said:

Fair enough, I believe you when you say his accent is better than his. So is mine. I simply said his was "fairly good" in other words much better than that of most foreigners (westerners) who can speak some Thai but by no means excellent, just better than average. I also agree that he is more interested in trying to be the centre of attention than doing anything productive or useful. It's just that I have seen so many bitter expats posting here (clearly you're not one of them) who seem to be jealous of any "Thaier than Thai" expat even if they can only speak a little bit of Thai yet they make no attempts at integrating themselves.

I've seen his videos, mainly because my son enjoys watching him on youtube. I think he appeals to teenagers and not adults. To me he seems like he's selling the "I'm a farang" card just as other celebs have such as Andrew Biggs.

The one thing that is different about this guy though is his interest in Thai bad language. This could get him into alot of trouble. Some of the stuff he talks about is very adult talk. Not the sort of thing I want my son learning in Thai. But as I look at how many views each video gets hundreds of thousands. I think, well others watch it, leave it.