Phom Kor Thot: 'My Mate Nate' does apologetic wai for offensive prank against Thais

webfact

1 hour ago, diddygq said:

He took it down off his YouTube channel ' MyMateNate ' .  I did watch the video to see what all the fuss was about.  He basically went around asking questions in English to students and teachers.  He basically exposed the lack of knowledge which means loss of face, particularly to the teachers who are Thai English teachers.

The video is still on his site, dated 25/11/16, although the Thai faces have now been blurred out. In the original they were visible. Not sure if he did that by re-editing the original and reposting, or Youtube has an online editor with a pixellation function.

He also did a video recently where he liaised with Thai police using his drone to film and catch a couple of villagers in the middle of nowhere passing the time in a small stakes gambling game, which in the grand scheme of things seemed like overkill. If it wasn't staged, it was almost made to look like America's Most Wanted in the dramatic way it was presented.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the protesters also got the message he (insensitively) put out - that their grasp of the international business language is pathetic? I read that Thailand is ranked the second worst in SE Asia for English proficiency.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

22 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Or there again a complete knob who thinks because he posts videos in the internet he's a "star".

Got 5 mins of fame for being ridiculous then another 5 for making a sickly sweet apology. Yeah, win/win for this clown.

Reminds me of my of Andrew Biggs who was a bit of a <deleted> when younger but has done alright for himself now.

Good luck to him, of course there will be some who despise him the way guys like him despise them.

43 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Awe, go away to the temple with your Thai wife and learn some humility and manners.

I am assuming your wife is a Buddhist, correct me if I am wrong. :smile: Ah, wait a minute if she is religious, then your avatar...... ah never mind.

yeah ...................never  mind

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hey, look, I was the first to jump on him for being culturally insensitive and totally unaware and rude when the clip first came out... thankfully, he seems to have genuinely understood that what he did was wrong - he apolgized... 

sure, he feels smart because his Thai is good and got a little full of himself... 

Well, I'm glad he apologized, but I found the original clip very offensive. He also made some mistakes in the Thai he spoke that even I noticed, and I'm not proud of my own level of Thai  I was wondering how he learned Thai, and how long he's been speaking it, because he **is** quite fluent, but very contemptuous of people who don't have his advantages. If you don't have some way to speak a language a lot you're not going to get good at speaking it, and very few Thai students have any chance to actually use English.

Well go head Nate....

mhhh for me seems thais have a problem to realize what is "black humor" and to make jokes about  their own inadequacies....

they should laugh about it ...so now they point themself with the finger on their inadequancies

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hey, look, I was the first to jump on him for being culturally insensitive and totally unaware and rude when the clip first came out... thankfully, he seems to have genuinely understood that what he did was wrong - he apolgized... 

sure, he feels smart because his Thai is good and got a little full of himself... 

Terrific publicity stunt

9 hours ago, kenk24 said:

A very sincere sounding apology from a young man who has the courage to acknowledge a mistake... 

Nate, trust me, we all made mistakes when we were younger and I am sure others will forgive you too... 

Best of luck to you moving forward... 

wow ,....you must be natty nates  head of P.R. to babble on about understanding his foibles & wanting forgiveness for being a ugly white person in a country of color .  did you say courage ? really ? tell us how about his   courage  again , i need a good laugh 

Edited by mikiea

Sickening. His 'apology' is as fake as that of many Thais who get caught out in something and put on a  phoney act of contrition. And that is what this is: an insincere act

In my books, this guy remains an arrogant, insincere self-server.

He wins no respect from me.

Edited by Eligius

9 hours ago, kenk24 said:

A very sincere sounding apology from a young man who has the courage to acknowledge a mistake... 

Nate, trust me, we all made mistakes when we were younger and I am sure others will forgive you too... 

Best of luck to you moving forward... 

No he's realised he's put his foot in his smart arsed mouth and succum to the Thai way by kissing arse.why don't he shave his head and hide out in a temple until the dust has settled.the other day he tried explaining himself,now he's just trying the old kissy kissy thing.its the thought of losing fame,followers and fortune and getting kicked out of the country that's brought this on.

50 minutes ago, mikiea said:
51 minutes ago, mikiea said:

wow ,....you must be natty nates  head of P.R. to babble on about understanding his foibles & wanting forgiveness for being a ugly white person in a country of color .  did you say courage ? really ? tell us how about his   courage  again , i need a good laugh 

If not his P.R. head, then maybe his sweet buddy :wub:

A post containing a derogatory slur toward Americans has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

For someone who speaks Thai so well, he must've known full well that humiliating and causing loss of face to Thai students on YouTube was wrong.... he's a very arrogant young man and I believe the 'apology' is nothing more than an insincere damage limitation exercise.

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, atyclb said:

the thing is your "ror rua"     transliterated should be "rau" because after the single consonant there is only a single vowel thus the "r" does does repeat as in "ror"       correct me if i am wrong

the guy in koen kaen that complained about the muffler ticket has better command of thai even with the local accent.

There are different transliteration systems out there. Here's another one that spells it as raaw reuua- http://www.thai-language.com/id/196805

Even Thai place names don't follow the same systems. Like Pattaya and Phuket both having a hard P sound. 

11 hours ago, freebyrd said:

A Farang who thinks he's a Thai because he can speak the language.....

Why would he want to be a Thai? The guy made a mistake, he apologised so that's the end of that.

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Once he goes a few rounds with this thing called "life" it will bring him down a peg or to. If he does not learn well then life will knock the snot out of him. 

Are you listening grasshopper?

Doesn't everyone make stupid mistakes once in a while during their life (including you), I wish people would give this guy a break. He did something wrong, he apologised, he did the right thing. What else can he do?

9 hours ago, Johnniey said:

LOL, an American makes a jackass(is that the right word?) of himself with his cultural insensitivity and people start criticizing the Thais :cheesy:

Are you American by any chance, "Chip"?

I am American, but I LOATHE "American Exceptionalism" and its Thai counterpart. "U no Thai....U no unnerstan."   Thais are the crowned heads of butthurt.

36 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Next thing you're going to tell us is Nate Bartling has a religion based on a "mysterious" language written on "golden plates" that no one has ever seen before, except for the founder of his religion?

Can anyone really be dumb enough to believe that? ?

sadly  billions  do

15 hours ago, kenk24 said:

very sincere sounding apology from a young man who has the courage to acknowledge a mistake... 

He is already a millionaire in baht thanks to his videos posted on Youtube with more than 100 million views so I don't think he's sorrry , it's just a game to him .  More viewers means more baht in the pocket.  

No taxes to pay , no work permits to worry about , life is great for Nate. 

10 hours ago, Grubster said:

How could he have learned near perfect Thai language without learning how you should never embarrass or make a Thai lose face?

That's courtesy of the very impressive Mormon missionary Thai language programme in Utah. It's a combination of linguistic fluency and hard sell, though once over here the Mormon bit tends to drop away. He's not the first... 

13 hours ago, atyclb said:

were there not a fair % of thais that liked his video?  they know it is important to face reality and at some point will need to look in the mirror

Facing reality is not a staple of Thai society.

you no tie.jpg

Edited by Chip Allen