Phom Kor Thot: 'My Mate Nate' does apologetic wai for offensive prank against Thais

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

He's just an immature idiot making a lot of money from his youtube site and no doubt this is ALL a good publicity stunt for his online presence. He is laughing all the way to the bank

Funny enough, whenever i see this guy I do think what a banker...something like that anyway.

21 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Agreed - it is not my place to get offended on behalf of the Thai people over another you tube 10 minute wonder

Meanwhile back in the real world looks like there could be a drop of rain ..........

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Where is the original video

He took it down off his YouTube channel ' MyMateNate ' .  I did watch the video to see what all the fuss was about.  He basically went around asking questions in English to students and teachers.  He basically exposed the lack of knowledge which means loss of face, particularly to the teachers who are Thai English teachers.

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Agreed - it is not my place to get offended on behalf of the Thai people over another you tube 10 minute wonder

Meanwhile back in the real world looks like there could be a drop of rain ..........

Another youtube 10 minute wonder.

it would seem that you have no idea how lucrative a few million hits on an established youtube channel can be.

The first thing anyone should learn about Thais- never, ever make them lose face. He did the unthinkable. His apology will be accepted but the Thais don't ever forget. He may speak Thai but he obviously knows little about the country.

1 minute ago, HooHaa said:

Another youtube 10 minute wonder.

it would seem that you have no idea how lucrative a few million hits on an established youtube channel can be.

So he is making a few dollars on You tube - hardly original, and certainly does nothing to make him more noteworthy in my world, perhaps if he used the funds to open a free education centre for English, he may inch into a level of recognition.

3 hours ago, waldroj said:

"...The video caused an uproar in the Thai realm of social networks, as netizens condemned Bartling for intentionally “humiliating” Thai people to make the point that their English-language education seriously needs improvement..."

Pic1.jpg

So did their choice of "annotated" clothing before black became the preferred color !!!

Last week i saw a shirt for sale in the mall with the text "Do me!" 5555.

Today i passed a barber who had a billboard outside with a farang lady on it and the text "Witch her".

1 hour ago, Crash999 said:

And his Thai isn't as great as people are making it out to be. He sounds like he is reading from a script and there's a jump cut every sentence or two. Plus those exaggerated ror ruas may get a wow from someone who thinks foreigners can't roll their r's but it sounds like he's trying way too hard. 

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

the thing is your "ror rua"     transliterated should be "rau" because after the single consonant there is only a single vowel thus the "r" does does repeat as in "ror"       correct me if i am wrong

the guy in koen kaen that complained about the muffler ticket has better command of thai even with the local accent.

Ah, the old Thai Visa men getting upset as a foreigner learns the language. How dare these youngsters show up the codgers who aren't allowed to learn :cheesy: 

Who said his Thai was great Crash 999? His Thai sounds fine to me.

atyclb, the guy in Khon Kaen said way too little to judge his Thai fluency. IMHO, he could have learned that in a year, living in Khon Kaen. Nate's Thai is much better.

10 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Ah, the old Thai Visa men getting upset as a foreigner learns the language. How dare these youngsters show up the codgers who aren't allowed to learn :cheesy: 

Who said his Thai was great Crash 999? His Thai sounds fine to me.

atyclb, the guy in Khon Kaen said way too little to judge his Thai fluency. IMHO, he could have learned that in a year, living in Khon Kaen. Nate's Thai is much better.

part of learning is "listening" rather than concluding others do not want you to learn.

He may have had a rather crass way of going about it did young Nate, but he has spotted a real issue here. Not just with English but the universally lousy nature of the education system here in Thailand. I can tell you that the finest universities in the land would takehigh flying Thai kids at the age of 16 from International schools becasue their knowledge was good enough to get in. And I am talking Thammasart and Chulalongkorn. Says it all really and also says why Thais are prepared to pay a fortune to get their children into international schools.

1 minute ago, munchlet said:

He may have had a rather crass way of going about it did young Nate, but he has spotted a real issue here. Not just with English but the universally lousy nature of the education system here in Thailand. I can tell you that the finest universities in the land would takehigh flying Thai kids at the age of 16 from International schools becasue their knowledge was good enough to get in. And I am talking Thammasart and Chulalongkorn. Says it all really and also says why Thais are prepared to pay a fortune to get their children into international schools.

Do you think random people in a foreign country should know what, "are you on your period" means said with an annoying yank accent?

I could hardly understand him.

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

A very sincere sounding apology from a young man who has the courage to acknowledge a mistake... 

Nate, trust me, we all made mistakes when we were younger and I am sure others will forgive you too... 

Best of luck to you moving forward... 

Or there again a complete knob who thinks because he posts videos in the internet he's a "star".

Got 5 mins of fame for being ridiculous then another 5 for making a sickly sweet apology. Yeah, win/win for this clown.

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hey, look, I was the first to jump on him for being culturally insensitive and totally unaware and rude when the clip first came out... thankfully, he seems to have genuinely understood that what he did was wrong - he apolgized... 

sure, he feels smart because his Thai is good and got a little full of himself... 

Once he goes a few rounds with this thing called "life" it will bring him down a peg or to. If he does not learn well then life will knock the snot out of him. 

14 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Do you think random people in a foreign country should know what, "are you on your period" means said with an annoying yank accent?

If he tried that same antic in many other countries he would not get the same degree of politeness shown here.

Go ask those silly things to strangers, with no greeting or chat before, in many countries and see how well it works out.

Many of those Thai people he asked randomly looked very embarrassed for him and tried to be polite. Like he was a bit simple. Guess they were right.

"Culturally insensitive"....code for "I refuse to overlook grinding stupidity even if it offends your culture."  Thais cannot ingest criticism on even the most conservative scale. It is the reason they are frozen at the third world level when experience would indicate that they should be at the level of Singapore, at least. Numpty culture.

4 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

"Culturally insensitive"....code for "I refuse to overlook grinding stupidity even if it offends your culture."  Thais cannot ingest criticism on even the most conservative scale. It is the reason they are frozen at the third world level when experience would indicate that they should be at the level of Singapore, at least. Numpty culture.

LOL, an American makes a jackass(is that the right word?) of himself with his cultural insensitivity and people start criticizing the Thais :cheesy:

Are you American by any chance, "Chip"?

13 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Exactly, You cant expect a Thai to understand some random d'head white guy spouting off on the street.

It sometimes take a while to process the persons accent (Us,Brit,Aus) before they tackle what English was spoken.

The period question is a nonsense  to Thais, they never heard it before .

Even if they did understand, what response can you accept for such a idiot question?

Probably Thais to polite anyway but he should have got a good smack in the kisser for the answer