Phom Kor Thot: 'My Mate Nate' does apologetic wai for offensive prank against Thais

webfact

Phom Kor Thot: 'My Mate Nate' does apologetic wai for offensive prank against Thais

By Coconuts Bangkok

my_mate_nate_sorry.jpg

Photo: My Mate Nate/ YouTube

BANGKOK: -- American expat and internet star “My Mate Nate” released an apologetic video to the Thai people last night, in which he spoke for five minutes in Thai about how terrible he felt.

Internet prankster Nate Bartling previously posted a social experiment video where he tested Thai people’s level of English by saying random, bizarre things to them on the streets such as “You look terrible today!” or “Are you on your period?”

The video caused an uproar in the Thai realm of social networks, as netizens condemned Bartling for intentionally “humiliating” Thai people to make the point that their English-language education seriously needs improvement. He conveniently ended the video with a sales pitch for an English language course.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/12/01/phom-kor-thot-my-mate-nate-does-apologetic-wai-offensive-prank-against-thais

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-12-01

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

A very sincere sounding apology from a young man who has the courage to acknowledge a mistake... 

Nate, trust me, we all made mistakes when we were younger and I am sure others will forgive you too... 

Best of luck to you moving forward... 

And as you move forward get both feet on the ground and get some adult thinking and words, and reactions in place. 

43 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

A very sincere sounding apology from a young man who has the courage to acknowledge a mistake... 

Nate, trust me, we all made mistakes when we were younger and I am sure others will forgive you too... 

No matter what age you are, no one should behave like a bull in a china shop in a foreign country. It's called basic common sense.

1 minute ago, freebyrd said:

No matter what age you are, no one should behave like a bull in a china shop in a foreign country. It's called basic common sense.

Hey, look, I was the first to jump on him for being culturally insensitive and totally unaware and rude when the clip first came out... thankfully, he seems to have genuinely understood that what he did was wrong - he apolgized... 

sure, he feels smart because his Thai is good and got a little full of himself... 

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Hey, look, I was the first to jump on him for being culturally insensitive and totally unaware and rude when the clip first came out... thankfully, he seems to have genuinely understood that what he did was wrong - he apolgized... 

sure, he feels smart because his Thai is good and got a little full of himself... 

You have your point of view, I have mine.

I don't see much difference in what he's now doing to the Thais who do bad deeds and then say they are going into a temple to make merit etc, which usually gets lambasted on this site, rightly so. He gave little or no thought to his actions and as angelic as he may look, he comes across as very arrogant. He needs to get some time in and towel behind his ears before he teaches anyone anything.

Edited by freebyrd

"...The video caused an uproar in the Thai realm of social networks, as netizens condemned Bartling for intentionally “humiliating” Thai people to make the point that their English-language education seriously needs improvement..."

Pic1.jpg

So did their choice of "annotated" clothing before black became the preferred color !!!

2 hours ago, freebyrd said:

A Farang who thinks he's a Thai because he can speak the language.....

And his Thai isn't as great as people are making it out to be. He sounds like he is reading from a script and there's a jump cut every sentence or two. Plus those exaggerated ror ruas may get a wow from someone who thinks foreigners can't roll their r's but it sounds like he's trying way too hard. 

13 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

And his Thai isn't as great as people are making it out to be. He sounds like he is reading from a script and there's a jump cut every sentence or two. Plus those exaggerated ror ruas may get a wow from someone who thinks foreigners can't roll their r's but it sounds like he's trying way too hard. 

the thing is your "ror rua"     transliterated should be "rau" because after the single consonant there is only a single vowel thus the "r" does does repeat as in "ror"       correct me if i am wrong

the guy in koen kaen that complained about the muffler ticket has better command of thai even with the local accent.

Edited by atyclb

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

His Thai is not that good and he certainly doesn't know how to make a respectful wai.

The lower the hands the less respect.  His thumbs should be under his nose at least.

I think this is why I'm much more of an introvert nowadays. I like to keep myself to myself and carefully select people who I'd like to see again or become friends with. I feel with most people they think their lives are on show and they should be acting-up or pretending to be someone they're not. 

People can get way too easily offended. It's as if some people get offended merely because they wanna feel special or unique. I don't get offended by much, but the things I do get offended by could make a real difference. I get offended by corruption, bald-faced lies that insult my intelligence and sanctimony. This isn't just referring to Thailand, but everywhere. 

Life is a lot easier when you're honest with yourself. If some 'foreigner' went around the UK exposing locals for their lack of skills in another language, I'd completely agree. We in the UK can be pretty awful when it comes to speaking a second language - why? Laziness, arrogance, zero motivation to do so, etc. Yea, I'd agree with that. 

His apology reminds me of the fun run guy. The guy who runs a marathon for cancer, etc. It's for a great cause we we'll gladly use the money - but the need to tell everyone and post pictures, is that also a little bit for you? The people who post a message of how sorry they are for victims of an earthquake, etc. Is this also a little bit of "I'm a little bit sad too. Feel bad for me also"

Anywho, he's apologised, so let's hope he never does it again. Not because what he did warranted an apology, but because until now I never knew who this guy was. And I never want to hear about him again. 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Maybe you think he should go to temple.

Too late to say sorry.