TrueOnline Fibre internet in high-rises in Bangkok?

wpcoe

Here in Pattaya, the standard answer to an inquiry at a True office about getting True's fibre internet in a condo is "Cannot.  No condo.  Only houses."  Occasionally they will concede that they can do fibre up to 3F, but no higher.  

I've heard, but not confirmed, that in Bangkok TrueOnline does, in fact, install fibre internet access in condo high-rises, so I'm asking for confirmation of that:  Can anybody here unequivocally say they've had TrueOnline fibre in their high-rise condo unit in Bangkok above the 3F?

(Mods: I posted this in the Bangkok Forum vs the  IT and Computers Forum section to reach out specifically to Bangkokians.  However, if you really feel it should be in the other forum, go ahead and move it.)

There was a similar thread running a couple of weeks ago, The main issue with condos is getting the cable from the pole on the street into the riser shafts inside the condo building, older buildings may not even have riser shafts. Electrical and phone cables etc were installed (underground) when the building was constructed. When they do run fiber its on the outside of the building direct into a condo, often only to condos close to the street. The 3rd floor thing is simply the limit of a ladder or cherry picker. Thats why adsl is often the only choice as the phone cables are already there. 

On 12/1/2016 at 8:23 PM, Peterw42 said:

There was a similar thread running a couple of weeks ago, The main issue with condos is getting the cable from the pole on the street into the riser shafts inside the condo building, older buildings may not even have riser shafts. Electrical and phone cables etc were installed (underground) when the building was constructed. When they do run fiber its on the outside of the building direct into a condo, often only to condos close to the street. The 3rd floor thing is simply the limit of a ladder or cherry picker. Thats why adsl is often the only choice as the phone cables are already there. 

In the Pattaya building in which I just bought a condo, the building maintenance staff work with two local internet providers to install fibre.  They are SBNNET (Sophon) and TMN (Thipmanee.).  They say they would equally work with True Online, but True just flat out says:  "No internet in condos."  That includes DOCSIS (cable) for which every unit already has coax wire installed.  As I understand it with Sophon/TMN, I pay a normal installation fee to them, and then a fee (based on how high the condo unit is?) to the building front desk (and get a receipt.)

Re: the similar thread, by any chance do you have a link?  I'm hopeless when doing forum searches...

Hello,

We live in Bangkok, Soi Ekkamai area. Our condo is on the 11th floor. I received an offer to switch from ADSL to Fibre which I accepted. True made an appointment and the Technician installed the service. He had to run a coaxial cable from the electrical service access which is part of a shaft for cables. Service installed and working well.

When I made the appointment I looked at the method used for providing fibre channel. The article stated that a phone line is used from the exterior Fibre Channel connection. Not how True does it.  Possibly the provision of an accessible building shft is required.

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

In the Pattaya building in which I just bought a condo, the building maintenance staff work with two local internet providers to install fibre.  They are SBNNET (Sophon) and TMN (Thipmanee.).  They say they would equally work with True Online, but True just flat out says:  "No internet in condos."  That includes DOCSIS (cable) for which every unit already has coax wire installed.  As I understand it with Sophon/TMN, I pay a normal installation fee to them, and then a fee (based on how high the condo unit is?) to the building front desk (and get a receipt.)

Re: the similar thread, by any chance do you have a link?  I'm hopeless when doing forum searches...

A couple months ago I took BKK True's offer to update to fiber and signed for a full package (Internet, new fixed line tel nr, SIM card for mobile, and TV).

Lucky me I live in a corner studio lane side on the top 5th floor of a small apart building set on a quiet lane off Sukhumvit Soi 22 with a balcony on the corner.

Technician came to have a look and then ran the new fiber cable from the street to my place outside the building and then onto the balcony.  He only had to drill a passing hole for the cable to my room on top of the balcony door.

So the "damage" to the building is only that small hole which considerately the tech even plugged with ready made cement.

I didn't ask the landlord.