Frenchman jumps to his death in Pattaya

webfact

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There was a (locally) unreported story about an old British guy hanging from the railing in Central Festival last week. He didn't jump but was not far from it.

Maybe mall management need to get the security guys at the entrances to do some profiling of the coffin dodgers. In the meantime, I have ordered my "I am a happy farang and promise not to jump" t-shirts (in Thai) to wear when I go shopping just in case I get profiled.

Typical "put a plaster" on it proposed solution.

Can't stop people from jumping if they want to, so focus on the root causes, plus measures to detect early on within close community circles.

Can't profile potential jumpers at the the mall entrance. Ridiculous.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Summerviking said:

Yeah thats sad.   So its a real thing?  This jumping in Pattaya.."flyers club"?  Read about it....Has anyone done any research about how many jumpers there have been in last year, 5 years?  I bet its more than most cities?

Suicide in Pattaya is pretty common as in The Netherlands, USA, Germany, Indonesia, Australia..........and the rest of the World.

Everywhere you will find distrssed people who decide to take their life. 

Unfortunately Thailand is one of the countries that is reporting (almost) every single suicide. 

Most other countries don't report suicides in order not to encourage people. 

Why "flying" is so popular.......no idea. It must take a lot of guts/courage to take this desperate last 'step'. 

I believe in a person's right to end their life, but people should not do this in such a manner (i.e., publicly and messily). I can only imagine how traumatising it would be to see such a thing, especially for any children who may have been about. That is the selfishness in this particular act... 

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Well the suicide rate in Florida, which has a high population of elderly retired, is around 8 per day.

http://www.floridasuicideprevention.org/the_facts.htm

And Thailand is nowhere near as bad as South Korea in suicides generally, but especially among the elderly.

suicide rates.png

Question is are they even recording foreigners in these statics, or counting on official  police reports and not just their own success at surplus population reduction ? 

Ah yes,  a newly minted member of the Pattaya Fliers Club.  My girlfriend's auntie tells me they are condemned to the half life between this world and the next, continually jumping into bottomless voids. 

Here's to the balcony jumpers and hangmen of old Jomtien.

Sorry but I don't buy this. I think there must be a lot murdered Westeners that have been put down as jumpers.

I think a check into any insurance policies or potential payout recipients would tell a more truthful story. The only problem is the Thai bib don't give a toss as its only another dead Farang.

Not the first time someone has jumped in Central Festival, didn't a Russian do the same from the top floor a couple of years back ?

I really think that they need to increase the height of the glass screens or whatever you call them to prevent this in the future, not good advertising for the Central group.

But having said that there was the case of the guy in Bangkok who walked into a shopping mall and either shot or stabbed his wife/girlfriend to death, so I don't really know what the answer is.......................Sorry.

2 hours ago, Docno said:

I believe in a person's right to end their life, but people should not do this in such a manner (i.e., publicly and messily). I can only imagine how traumatising it would be to see such a thing, especially for any children who may have been about. That is the selfishness in this particular act... 

I don't think that in his state of mind at that time he could give a monkey's toss about anyone else, his universe was about to end.

3 hours ago, khunJeroen said:

yep, always keep in touch with reality living in Thailand. Once you have nothing more left it's a cold and lonely place.

That could be said for anywhere, right where you are told, ''i'm afraid it's terminal.there is nothing we can do for you''.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

How will the witnesses feel?

Hope there were not too many.

Sorry, but completely unreal.

They are not even able to watch all entrances for those who want to take others with them (those with the belt/backpack).

3 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

Typical "put a plaster" on it proposed solution.

Can't stop people from jumping if they want to, so focus on the root causes, plus measures to detect early on within close community circles.

Can't profile potential jumpers at the the mall entrance. Ridiculous.

No sense of humor today? Of course they can't tell who's going to jump.

Anyway, now Central Festival has a whole new niche clientele. The swimming pool on the top of Mike's Department Store was the Pattaya Flyers favorite destination but maybe they have better security or some other deterrent there now.

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Well the suicide rate in Florida, which has a high population of elderly retired, is around 8 per day.

http://www.floridasuicideprevention.org/the_facts.htm

And Thailand is nowhere near as bad as South Korea in suicides generally, but especially among the elderly.

suicide rates.png

We are not on about per head of Thai population but per head of western expats.

That figure has to be way way higher even after deducting the "suicides" by murder.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There was a (locally) unreported story about an old British guy hanging from the railing in Central Festival last week. He didn't jump but was not far from it.

Maybe mall management need to get the security guys at the entrances to do some profiling of the coffin dodgers. In the meantime, I have ordered my "I am a happy farang and promise not to jump" t-shirts (in Thai) to wear when I go shopping just in case I get profiled.

Story was reported on Pattaya One and Bangkok Jack

http://bangkokjack.com/2016/11/25/video-british-tourist-pattaya-threatens-jump-central-festival/

I have to disagree  with most of you. While it is sad, that the gentleman is gone, he went out on his own terms. He did not suffer in hospital for years like so many. He grabbed death by the balls and met it head on.  I find it honorable; who are we to tell another, when they can die!

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I don't think that in his state of mind at that time he could give a monkey's toss about anyone else, his universe was about to end.

Of course ... but that's completely irrelevant to matters of right and wrong. That's where the selfishness comes in. (People kill others out of 'passion' also). I've been in dark periods myself, but have contemplated bringing down the curtain, but I never lost sight of the impact on others...

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah. I'm sure it is. 

yes obviously they dont fly ! and gravity takes over , it must have been a loud bang landing on an escalator could have scared alot of people , it would have woke up the night watchman zzzz, you would think they would do a less painful end like taking an overdose and a bottle of scotch , or maybe he did not like whiskey . such a shame if someone could have talked to him maybe it would have calmed him down , maybe he went to the atm at the bank as its on the 4th floor and not had any money and decided to end it , dont know what he would have done if he had money in sterling as its gone down so much 44 to baht now that would have really frightened him !!

Edited by hottrader77

5 hours ago, SEEDGER said:

I have to disagree  with most of you. While it is sad, that the gentleman is gone, he went out on his own terms. He did not suffer in hospital for years like so many. He grabbed death by the balls and met it head on.  I find it honorable; who are we to tell another, when they can die!

Who are we....we're the public who see the splatted remains with a drop of blood on our cheek.

15 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

thailand is a crazy place. many people who come here dont want to leave, me included. easy to get sucked into believing many things that are not true here and sobering up to the truth can lead to a big downfall. wonder if there are any support groups for  expats in need in thailand. seems there are plenty who require assistance.

I have been saying that for years!!! I don't know of any support group for expats in need,maybe all those organizations that support all these Thai foundations etc,should start channeling some funds towards that,and let the Thais do something for themselves for a change,there's plenty of rich Thai's.

Farangs  give generously to (Myself excluded ) charities,then get shit on by the Bureaucracy in anything official that's required...F Nose how many photo's and passport copies of me they have,and the BIB,handing out bogus  fines on the roads,and getting ripped off with their double pricing system at National Parks etc etc. It all bodes well for Tourism and future investment....NOT!!!!!!

TIT...

Edited by Jimbo53

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Frenchman Jumps To Death At Central Festival Pattaya

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

IMG_2827.jpg

Patrons in front of CentralFestival Pattaya in this May 15, 2015 file photo.

PATTAYA — An elderly French national fell to his death at Pattaya’s largest shopping mall Thursday night, according to police, who ruled it a suicide.

The 71-year-old man made the plunge at about 11:30pm from the sixth floor of CentralFestival Pattaya and landed on an escalator of the second floor, according to Col. Apichai Krobphet, chief of Pattaya police.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/12/02/frenchman-jumps-death-central-festival-pattaya/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-02

A permanent answer to a temporary problem.

1 hour ago, howbri said:

A permanent answer to a temporary problem.

Interesting to note Khaosod, a media company based in Bangkok not only says which mall this happened in but is even brave enough to publish a photo of it. Contrast that to the formidable Pattaya Mail which could still only describe it, coweringly, as: "the sixth floor of a famous shopping centre in Pattaya."

And fair enough. Why should you want someone to make life difficult for you as a journalist or media owner here? But paranoid local censorship of the reporting of bad news means people who live here really don't know what's going on, crime-wise, by looking at a bullied local news feed.

16 hours ago, silent said:

Question is are they even recording foreigners in these statics, or counting on official  police reports and not just their own success at surplus population reduction ? 

oh for sure. If a stat, study, research or official report don't agree with our preconceived delusions...it must be rigged