Using Master Card Or Visa Electron?

JoneL

Hi!

Is it very common/easy to use Master card or Visa Electron in Bangkok's shops? :o

I think I will do most of my shoppings in MBK shopping mall :D

edit:

and do they take some extra price if I use Master or Visa Electron? :D

Edited by JoneL

I read somewhere that MBK had a reputation as being one of the worst places in Asia for the cloning of credit cards. My understanding is that they do add a small charge if you use the credit card instead of paying cash.

A lot of places will add 3% to the total charge to cover their merchant account charges even though it is frowned upon by CC companies.

My advice would be to use cash.

Get your cash out at an ATM located inside a bank, not on the street.

On a recent trip to Phuket, i was not too wary about what ATM's i used.

I do not use my visa anywhere (when overseas) except to get cash.

Someone got hold of my Visa card details :D , and cleaned out about 1 Million Baht from my bank accounts within 7 days. :o

Fraudulent expenses included airfares, Shopping in Hong Kong, Dubai, Lots of gold, and other expensive things.

Visa covered the loss, but it is a headache while it is getting sorted.

Cash is safe, and you can bargain a little harder.

I read somewhere that MBK had a reputation as being one of the worst places in Asia for the cloning of credit cards. My understanding is that they do add a small charge if you use the credit card instead of paying cash.

BE AWARE: Some USA credit card companies are charging a fee for converting the USD to the Baht or any other currency.

The following is a statement that is provided one each billing period statement that includes a purchase in other than the US dollar on a Mastercard from "CITI CARDS."

"Your card provides the convienience of transacting in foreign currencies

worldwide wherever Mastercard is accepting without having to exchange and carry

more foreign currency that you need for your transaction. Each purchase you make in a foreign currency is subject to a one-time transaction fee. This fee will cause your Annual Percentage Rate to exceed nominal Annual Percentage Rate listed on this statement."

I did not know about this fee until I purchased an item using my CITI Card Mastercard in Japan.

The purchase was 2,400 Japanese Yen.

Converted it cost $20.78 in US currency.

:o The fee for converting from US dollar to Japanese Yen was $57.45 in US currency.

Of course I went through the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!

I no longer have the Mastercard from CITI Cards!!

When travelling to places other than the US and Thailand, we take enough American Express Travelers Checks and cash to cover our expenses.

When in Thailand, we (wife and I) have accounts in The Bangkok Bank.

If you were not aware, The Bangkok Bank has an affiliate bank in New York.

Beware, credit cards are looking everywhere to get more of our money.