Are all proper bikes geared in Isaan?

mrblonde

Am looking to visit Isaan next year (time of year, duration and locations to be decided) with my girlfriend (a lot of you helped out on my other post r.e. her skin colour) and we hope to hire bikes to explore further.  She's never ridden a bike before, so will be doing a day CBT over in the UK to learn the basics. I'm guessing she will prefer an auto bike/twist and go.  Can you get larger bikes (not moped style) that are auto in Isaan to hire?  I'm comfortable with gears as I ride in the UK, just guessing she wont be so great with gears.

Or can you recommend a bike thats auto that will be best for exploring on?  

I do not ride motorbikes, but have lived in Isaan a long time.

You will be able to find a bike of that spec to hire, but believe me, it is not a good decision at all, as the proficiency of most of the Thais on the road is practically nil.

She is doing a 1 day course to learn the basics, and you think she will be able to handle it over here !

It is a disaster waiting to happen, and it could all end in tears. 

Isaan is 33 % of the country Thailand. If you can be more precise where you're looking it might be easier to give you a helping hand.

I see some huge problems for your gf when she'd never driven a motorbike here. It's not about the gears, it's about the dangers on the roads. from dogs to buffaloes, basically, everything can happen.

After I got my twice completely redone Pick Up truck back, I was confronted with an airborne Honda CBR 125 cc heading towards my windshield. Only a fast reaction hitting the brakes saved the life of my wife and mine. And I'm not kidding. There's no law on the roads. 

I made my own pretty sad experiences but fully recovered. If you love her, just don't do it. The hospitals are not really a place to find professional help, especially after a motorbike accident. 

Cheers- 

Edited by lostinisaan

7 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Don't forget the potholes, wrong way driving, entering from side roads without looking, no headlights at night, inoperative tail and brake lights and kids age of 8 operating bikes.

And the vigilant police force !

If she's never ridden before, you might want to do the riding and just have her as a passenger instead of renting a bike for her too. I mean, she can't ride. It doesn't make sense for her to see if she can do it in traffic, especially not in the traffic in Thailand. 

42 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Skydiving is safer for a novice.

(From a biker in Thailand for the last 11 years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I went to Pai in Mae Hong Son Province I saw plenty of guys who rented a scooter, or a half automatic motorbike, but they hardly made it out of the shop around the corner. First time on a bike...

I've seen quite a few only days later with a bandage, or even a cast around an arm, or a leg. Or face injuries. 

Of course, did I not see the ones who didn't make it out of the hospital. Poor maintenance of bikes in general usually does the rest. 

Trucks don't stop for a motorbike, nor do cars. The bigger vehicle usually has (takes over) the right to drive first, a real weird fact in Thailand.

When you come to a crossing, nobody really knows who may drive first. Most people don't know what a Stop Sign really means. 

Hit and run accidents are quite normal here, please don't expect that someone will stop and help you when you're unconscious on the road after an accident.

A very important part is that the motorbike insurance usually only covers 12 K, no matter how long the patient has to stay in a hospital. 

I was lucky to have the Thai social security that paid the "other 90 K".

And if you rent a bike at a shop a lot of bikes don't even have insurance, nor a license plate.

Would my wife not know how to ride a bike here I wouldn't allow her until I taught her how to drive safely. And that's not done in a one-day crash curse.

All the scooters are fully automatic with two handbrakes for the front and rear brake. 

The acceleration of a Honda PCX 150 cc automatic happens quite fast and can be dangerous for freshies. 

I prefer a semi-automatic where you switch four gears without a clutch.  Good luck with your tour. 

Please make sure that you've got full insurance coverage. 

P.S. Never leave your passport at a shop, plenty of them are trying to let you pay for a damage that was already before. 

And if you don't pay they don't give you the passport back. Drive safe. 

Edited by lostinisaan

The cool thing about bikes in Thialand is you get to drive on the side of the road that you prefer, left , right, middle. Makes it fun in a car pulling out to a main road. Look left. Look right, then look left again for bike on the wrong side.
Safest thing to drive here is a Sherman Tank.

The last time I went to Pai in Mae Hong Son Province I saw plenty of guys who rented a scooter, or a half automatic motorbike, but they hardly made it out of the shop around the corner. First time on a bike...

I've seen quite a few only days later with a bandage, or even a cast around an arm, or a leg. Or face injuries. 

Of course, did I not see the ones who didn't make it out of the hospital. Poor maintenance of bikes in general usually does the rest. 

Trucks don't stop for a motorbike, nor do cars. The bigger vehicle usually has (takes over) the right to drive first, a real weird fact in Thailand.

When you come to a crossing, nobody really knows who may drive first. Most people don't know what a Stop Sign really means. 

Hit and run accidents are quite normal here, please don't expect that someone will stop and help you when you're unconscious on the road after an accident.

A very important part is that the motorbike insurance usually only covers 12 K, no matter how long the patient has to stay in a hospital. 

I was lucky to have the Thai social security that paid the "other 90 K".

And if you rent a bike at a shop a lot of bikes don't even have insurance, nor a license plate.

Would my wife not know how to ride a bike here I wouldn't allow her until I taught her how to drive safely. And that's not done in a one-day crash curse.

All the scooters are fully automatic with two handbrakes for the front and rear brake. 

The acceleration of a Honda PCX 150 cc automatic happens quite fast and can be dangerous for freshies. 

I prefer a semi-automatic where you switch four gears without a clutch.  Good luck with your tour. 

Please make sure that you've got full insurance coverage. 

P.S. Never leave your passport at a shop, plenty of them are trying to let you pay for a damage that was already before. 

And if you don't pay they don't give you the passport back. Drive safe. 

That road from Chiang Mai to Pai is lethal! I've done it many times on a 650cc bike. Seen backpackers on small twist and go scooters, loaded up with huge backpacks etc, shorts on, no helmet, trucks and minivans cutting them up, not a road for the novice. IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

What type of gearing depends a lot on how you are going to use the bike. For road use the twist and go are hard to beat. The pure clutch type are mostly available on larger bikes and are difficult for novices. I have a Yamaha 135 Elegance.

My wife is an avid mushroom hunter and she says the Yamaha cannot go up the mountains. She says not enough power. It has plenty of power but is not geared for steep climbing. She uses the semi automatic Honda Wave 110. First gear is geared pretty low and the bike itself is smaller and lighter. I went up a path that her Wave went up easily. I had the Yamaha belt drive smoking by the time I got to the top.

Until u r used to the 'idiosyncracies' and illegal conventions of Thai driving and Thai roads I would stick to daytime buses, taxis and tuktuks....Avoid minibuses unless no other option........In town rent bicycles as I reckon Thai drivers, in Isaan anyway, give u more room and respect than on a motorbike...........Later rent a car.......Last of all, in terms of safety, I would rent a motorbike.

Until u r used to the 'idiosyncracies' and illegal conventions of Thai driving and Thai roads I would stick to daytime buses, taxis and tuktuks....Avoid minibuses unless no other option........In town rent bicycles as I reckon Thai drivers, in Isaan anyway, give u more room and respect than on a motorbike...........Later rent a car.......Last of all, in terms of safety, I would rent a motorbike.

You've obviously never been chased by a pack of (possibly rabid) Soi Dogs when cycling.

Overwhelming amount of advice for one thing, and I agree.

If however, OP decides to ignore all the advice here, I hope he will be a long time member here, and keep us in the loop when time comes to hire the bikes.

No, that was naughty of me.

Joke aside, listen to the vast majority here, and also do some research online about traffic in general here in Thailand. 

On 11/12/2016 at 10:02 AM, DILLIGAD said:

You've obviously never been chased by a pack of (possibly rabid) Soi Dogs when cycling.

Been chased many many times  but, touch wood, never bitten, in 10 yrs. One caught me once and I felt its wet lips on my heel. More of a kiss than a bite....555.

........Not so many soi dogs in NE Isaan anyway as most have been eaten....555.

Been chased many many times  but, touch wood, never bitten, in 10 yrs. One caught me once and I felt its wet lips on my heel. More of a kiss than a bite....555.

........Not so many soi dogs in NE Isaan anyway as most have been eaten....555.

I must have been living (& riding motorbikes) in the wrong places (x5) over the last 11years in N.E. Isaan.

Biker for 40 years in the UK and 10 in Thailand,i did have a 1200 Yam here but sold it quickly,im very glad i didnt bring my ZZR1100 from UK with me,we just have a honda scoopy now, and even that in our small town in NE Issan is plenty,the roads are good now, its just the people who use them.

Please dont call them names like retards,idiots,ect, they have never been taught road safety or have any idea what a Highway Code book is,the police are useless as far as training goes,  anyway, heres a link from last year..

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/10/21/thailands-roads-second-deadliest-world-world-health-organization  

Thanks everyone, looks like a unanimous decision not to let the other half ride a bike in Isaan, I'll just tell her to pack lighter and put her on the back of whatever I end up hiring.  I spent my younger years whizzing around Pattaya on a twist and go so should be OK in more rural Thailand, once we've sorted our route and places to stay will be back for suggestions on rental places

Thanks again everyone