Part time working affecting retirement extension

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Retirement is not synonymous with waiting to die!  I spent 40+ years working, just waiting to live!

I've always pitied people who think work is all there is.  I've seen two people keel over at their desks because they didn't know when to stop the grind and start living.

I've seen several others return to work after retirement because they didn't have the mental skills to live without the crutch of the workplace.

Unless you have monetary problems get on with retired life!

Thank you for agreeing with me? It's a very refreshing change? 

9 hours ago, laislica said:

A little bitterness there?

I took early retirement but if I'd stayed until normal retirement age, the company I worked for sent soon to retirees on special courses - How to retire successfully.

I know a number of folk who retired and then dropped dead in a very short time.

Being retired is work - trust me!

You get the time (and hopefully enough pension/savings) to do many of the things you wanted to do when you were working.

This is why you can see old men in sports cars LOL

Didn't have the time for one when working (and or couldn't afford it then).

or old chaps like me with their lovely young Thai wife and taking care of my lovely large Thai extended family IS a full time job!

Happy to be on a retirement extension so can't work like can't do the washing up, or paint the house or anything that is a Reserved for Thai job LOL

(Only joking, I make regular trips to the ATM! - well, what else are we for?)

Lighten up and have a great day.

You can see I need to retire my brain so people can get what I'm saying better, so I guess there is a bit of bitterness

Edited by silent

10 hours ago, Grubster said:

And when you get the appropriate visa/ extension your retirement extension will be cancelled. No work not even for charity allowed on retirement extension.

Under the Labour Law, if you want to work in Thailand, whether full-time, part-time, volunteer, etc., you will need a Work Permit and you are required to have the appropriate immigration visa.  The Thai Immigration will grant you the appropriate permit to stay.  Permit to stay for Retirement is meant exactly for that purpose.

Op clearly states quite openly he works and has no WP so he doesn't need to be told 50 times he's working illegally.  he asked  certain questions. First three answered questions quite well. My advise for what it's worth mate open a new bank account. And carry on enjoying what your doing on the quite. QUITE being the operative word.

12 hours ago, silent said:

Am I that difficult to comprehend in conjunction with a few others it appears again. I'll try and keep it down to one syllable  from now on

Its simple.. If your working, for some additional spending money, for mental stimulation, for whatever reason.. Then defacto your not retired. 

Saying your retired, but working, is just not logical, its one or the other. 

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Its simple.. If your working, for some additional spending money, for mental stimulation, for whatever reason.. Then defacto your not retired. 

Saying your retired, but working, is just not logical, its one or the other. 

That's exactly what I said and you're confirming the definition of being retired to some is the same as being in a nursing home waiting to die. This place is getting to be like life with a hundred of my ex always arguing about the same thing, but not saying it the way she needed to hear it in one syllable words

if we are gonna get into stuff like what the word "retirement" means and talking about nursing homes..... then what about the other words the OP used? i.e. "working" and "teaching".....

here retirement means not working.  it doesn't mean what it means outside Thailand any more or less than these other words do.. and they mean something very very different here than elsewhere.

the whole story is like that. maybe only "Thai" can really understand this.. you have heard that one before, yes?

Edited by maewang99

31 minutes ago, silent said:

That's exactly what I said and you're confirming the definition of being retired to some is the same as being in a nursing home waiting to die. This place is getting to be like life with a hundred of my ex always arguing about the same thing, but not saying it the way she needed to hear it in one syllable words

You seem to equate not working with being a nursing home waiting to die. Not me.. 

Retired at 28.. Spent the last 15 years sailing, dirtbiking asia, travelling, surfing, and having a ball... 

This year decided to come out of retirement, started a new business, already going gangbusters and should be making a mil baht a month late next year. 

Retirement is simple to understand.. Working / not working... Your the only one who seems to want to make it complex. 

35 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You seem to equate not working with being a nursing home waiting to die. Not me.. 

Retired at 28.. Spent the last 15 years sailing, dirtbiking asia, travelling, surfing, and having a ball... 

This year decided to come out of retirement, started a new business, already going gangbusters and should be making a mil baht a month late next year. 

Retirement is simple to understand.. Working / not working... Your the only one who seems to want to make it complex. 

Sorry I'm reminded of my wife telling me I should buy a new car because their reliable, (higher status) , and I couldn’t know as much as I profess from a hobby that keeps me thinking'. Besides if I don’t know Thai I can’t repair a Thai car. Then had to worry if I was breaking the law when I did because I’m on a retirement visa and don’t have a work permit.  

Edited by silent

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

I can't resist http://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/how-bad-is-it-to-pick-your-nose/ar-AAlaMo0?li=AAggFp5

According to one poster I am mentally deficient :wink:. I sometimes get bored at the weekend if I haven't already made plans. I need to be doing something, and that does not include sitting around watching television. I honestly can say I am not looking forward to retirement, but at the same time I do not wish to be stuck at a desk 5 days a week either.

Luckily for me, part time work while retired is an option. Needs to be thought out in more detail for those on extensions though.  

For me retirement means I can decide if and when I want to do something without having to follow instructions or idiot suggestions from others.

If it takes me 3 days to do a 1 hour job on the car( to a previous poster, yes, a sports car) that I've had for the past 20 years then that's not working, it's fun.

If SWMBO and self to go somewhere and lie on a different beach we just do it when we feel like it.

If a friend needs a hand I'll help because I have 'time' to do it now.

etc etc etc.

"teaching English" is a special thing.  in Thailand.  that is missed out in much of this thread...

comparing teaching with other occupations is not apropro, here.

and it's ****not**** at all because being a native speaker of English is a special skill.... blah blah blah.  think about ****why**** it is a special thing.  i.e. about the only thing you can do as employment without any difficult legal issues.  why.  it is not the same kind of thing.  

and it has nothing to do with "native language" speaking skills.. or knowledge of idioms... give me a break... that one belongs with "farlang means foreigner", "Thai students are very shy" and "Thailand is a poor country".  get real.  oh yeah... and the real biggeee... "the Thai Baht is overvalued". wow!!!!!

Edited by maewang99