Part time working affecting retirement extension

I have been working as a part time teacher in a Language school for the past 5 years and like a lot(or most)teachers do not have a work permit.

I want to apply for a retirement extension as I have over 800k in my account.But my worry is will the immigration officers know when they look at my bank passbook and see money going in every month that I have been working?

I don't know what to do.

Any good advice would be most helpful.

Open a second account put 800,000 + a little bit more in it and then over the next few months put in and take out enough to live on from your first account.

Use that for your extension.

More importantly don't get caught working illegally. It will be world of hurt no matter what others tell you.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the rule for a retirement visa/extension is retirement means not working in Thailand.

You can work on a retirement visa/extension but NOT in Thailand.

Therefore you can be retired and still work outside of Thailand

You could even recieve a salary for working outside of Thailand and legally have that money sent to a Thai bank.

But that might mean immigration wanting to see some verification of your true status.

Anyway working in Thailand even without a retirement visa/extension would require a work permit to be legal.

• Like 1

In November 2009, I was on a marriage extension and also had a work permit.  Although my residence was in Nakhon Sawan Province, I was working in Pak Chong and living in a rental during the week. The expiration dates of the work permit and the extension were not tied together.  When my extension was about to expire I decided to apply for the next one in Korat rather than travel all the way to Nakhon Sawan.  I got all of the paperwork together including my income affidavit from the embassy in Bangkok and my wife and I went to do the extension .. All of the paperwork was in order except the Kor Ror 2 form was missing, I never had to supply one before.  The immigration officer gave me two options, get a 60 day extension and return with the form or do an retirement extension that day since my income was more than 65k baht/month.  I reminded her that I was working and had a valid work permit issued by the Korat Labor Office.  She said that immigration didn't care whether I was working on the retirement extension, it was the labor office that had problems with it.  So I got a retirement extension and worked until the end of the contract but did not renew so I don't know what the labor office would have required to renew the work permit.  So in my case immigration had no problem with me working on a retirement extension.

I hope I can open new bank account.Last time I tried to have second account in my bank Siam and they refused my request saying I needed work permit.

I just want to try different bank and transfer the 800k from Siam but some of my friends say it is not easy to open a new account now.

Which banks would you recommend?

I stay in Ratchada in Bangkok

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

you know you can't work on a retirement visa do you? oh what, you don't care about that any way. Go to the TMB bank

In another thread, I read that there is no Immigration Law stating you cannot work while on a retirement extension.  However, should you want to work, you should get a Work Permit which requires you to have the appropriate visa.

Probably ubonjoe will be able to confirm this.

4 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

In another thread, I read that there is no Immigration Law stating you cannot work while on a retirement extension.  However, should you want to work, you should get a Work Permit which requires you to have the appropriate visa.

immigration laws is about getting in the country, the labour law is about working

On extension based on marriage obtaining a WP is possible, on extension based on retirement it is not.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

32 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I'm pretty sure a few years back when I first looked into the Retirement extension that the words "Working is strictly prohibited" were in there somewhere and I also think that was from an official Thai site, but I could be wrong.

But lets face it, the basic meaning of "Retired" means you no longer work for a living.

By the book I suppose....but lets say you privately bought cars and resold them...then that is considered income by the authorities and taxable and said to be working also.

They just want you spending your money here while retired.

Those are the rules and regulations and laws ...if you go strictly by the book.

Meantime...most of them do not really care and or strictly enforce the laws....well OK.......occasionally.

Cheers

You can work on a marriage visa/extension even if you are 50 years or older and COULD qualify for a retirement visa.

But you can not work on a retirement visa if you are working in Thailand.

If you are on a retirement visa you still CAN work outside of Thailand

Being on a marrige visa/extension dos NOT stop you from working in Thailand.

You can get a Work Permit when married.

You do NOT need a non B visa to get a Work Permit.

So if you are married to a Thai spouse, and your visa is a Non immigrant O maarriage visa/exension due to mariage to a Thai spouse you COULD legally get a Work Permit if your Thai emploter submitted the right paperwork to the Department of Labor and offeed a job

The immigration and the Labor Ministry are different organizations and they have different functions.

You do NOT need a retrement visa/extension becaus you are over 50, it is entrirelly possible to be in Thailand legally and be here beause you are married to a Thai spouse.

All these statements abov are true and not mutally exclisive.

When prblems arise it is often because of misconceptions that arise from officials in either the Labor or immigration departments that have "always" done their job their way, and insist that you must follow their way by their misunderstanding of their presumed "rules".

Edited by IMA_FARANG
corect typos

As my old Mum would say: It sounds easy when you say it fast - Get a work permit!

but there's many a slip twixt the cup and lip!

I have seen many posts before about people who would like a WP but the employer refuses to co-operate with them.

I have never worked in Thailand so I have no experience of the procedures for a WP.

Does the employer have much to do?
Is there a cost to the employer/employee?

I read about the Labour office raiding schools and finding teachers without a WP.

Do the employers/employees get fined/deportation etc?

I would love to do voluntary work for no pay but even that requires a WP I think.

Working part time in a nearby International school would help me to practice the Thai language and that would be payment enough.

Well, along with being a short term diversion and hopefully helping to motivate the students.

My Thai is so bad that they would quickly want to speak English LOL

What do I have to do to get a WP?

2 hours ago, Pungdo said:

I'm pretty sure a few years back when I first looked into the Retirement extension that the words "Working is strictly prohibited" were in there somewhere and I also think that was from an official Thai site, but I could be wrong.

But lets face it, the basic meaning of "Retired" means you no longer work for a living.

I don't know. I know lots of people who retired after 25 years to do another job that their experience qualified them more for and can't stand being a vegetable or couch potato, (present company excluded). Let's face it, does retirement have to be synonymous with waiting to die or just here? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Retirement is not synonymous with waiting to die!  I spent 40+ years working, just waiting to live!

I've always pitied people who think work is all there is.  I've seen two people keel over at their desks because they didn't know when to stop the grind and start living.

I've seen several others return to work after retirement because they didn't have the mental skills to live without the crutch of the workplace.

Unless you have monetary problems get on with retired life!

He he, I'm in my 17th year of retirement!

Left the UK to live in Spain in 2000.

Now half half Spain and Thailand and loving every minute of it.

A part time job to help me learn Thai would be just great.

I learned to read Thai at the beginning of this year but I do not understand what I read.....

Well unless it's an English word like แบตเตอรี่  = battery (for a car)

but I fail miserably with say, การทำร้ายร่างกาย = battery (unlawful attack)

My wife helps me somewhat but it's not focused because her English is not so extensive.

7 minutes ago, laislica said:

He he, I'm in my 17th year of retirement!

Left the UK to live in Spain in 2000.

Now half half Spain and Thailand and loving every minute of it.

A part time job to help me learn Thai would be just great.

I learned to read Thai at the beginning of this year but I do not understand what I read.....

Well unless it's an English word like แบตเตอรี่  = battery (for a car)

but I fail miserably with say, การทำร้ายร่างกาย = battery (unlawful attack)

My wife helps me somewhat but it's not focused because her English is not so extensive.

Studying the language is not working.

I hope Brexit doesn't stuff up your life in Spain.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, silent said:

I don't know. I know lots of people who retired after 25 years to do another job that their experience qualified them more for and can't stand being a vegetable or couch potato, 

Then your not retired though are you ?? 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Studying the language is not working.

I hope Brexit doesn't stuff up your life in Spain.

It could have made me mad if I had let it!

The value of the Pound dropped about 20% just as I was about to buy a flat in Spain.

So the purchase price increased by 20% for no good reason. It was still a bargain though.

But you can't take it with you so why drive myself (and er indoors) crazy with worry?

Worry don't fix anything, it only ruins now!

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:
1 hour ago, silent said:

I don't know. I know lots of people who retired after 25 years to do another job that their experience qualified them more for and can't stand being a vegetable or couch potato, 

Then your not retired though are you ?? 

A little bitterness there?

I took early retirement but if I'd stayed until normal retirement age, the company I worked for sent soon to retirees on special courses - How to retire successfully.

I know a number of folk who retired and then dropped dead in a very short time.

Being retired is work - trust me!

You get the time (and hopefully enough pension/savings) to do many of the things you wanted to do when you were working.

This is why you can see old men in sports cars LOL

Didn't have the time for one when working (and or couldn't afford it then).

or old chaps like me with their lovely young Thai wife and taking care of my lovely large Thai extended family IS a full time job!

Happy to be on a retirement extension so can't work like can't do the washing up, or paint the house or anything that is a Reserved for Thai job LOL

(Only joking, I make regular trips to the ATM! - well, what else are we for?)

Lighten up and have a great day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

And when you get the appropriate visa/ extension your retirement extension will be cancelled. No work not even for charity allowed on retirement extension.

• Like 1

@laislica,

From the information you've now posted, if you had an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, you could get a WP.

Being married to a Thai national automatically affords the right to work.

Providing the school/company will supply the relevant documentation to the Labour Office, you could work albeit voluntary whilst you enjoy your time in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

@laislica,

From the information you've now posted, if you had an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, you could get a WP.

Being married to a Thai national automatically affords the right to work.

Providing the school/company will supply the relevant documentation to the Labour Office, you could work albeit voluntary whilst you enjoy your time in Thailand.

I know but the timing of the renewal of my ext would cause me to be in Thailand until the end of May to get the last 11 months ext.

It's too hot then and we would have to arrive a month later and December can be cool in Spain.

So in practice, I'd have to leave Thailand without a re-entry permit and get a new Non Imm O visa in Spain and start again.....

Too much BS to be sure.

Our Imm is about 30 odd Km away, we have to take a taxi, there arn't taxis where we live so it's a songtaw to the city and taxi from there.....

A proper PITA! Almost 2 hours to get there if you include waiting for the songtaw, then half an hour or so in the heat getting to the city...

But, what is involved for my possible employer, effort/cost?

What about me, what do I have to do, effort/cost?

Cheers