Aussie Soap.........

redrus

Just cast my eye over this Aussie soap, Headland. Looks a bag o **** but, I caught this saying and wondered what the....?

"You maybe a bloody genius but, sometimes, you're as thick as a Greek."

Am I missing something, or is this a normal saying in a country I've never been to. Lest us not forget the ridiculously "PC" UK I live in but, it sounds well racist to me and on a day time TV show/soap too....!

redrus

"Thick as a brick" sometimes with the add-on "and twice as dense." is a fairly standard Aussie line - but given the quality of headLand's overall production I would not be surprised that the sound was off, the actor misread his line during the single take filming or that the script had an error and no-one picked it up till now. Possibly a combination of all three. That said Channel 7 has its main roots in Melbourne, the world's third largest Greek city so I really can't see such a line being deliberate.

The show was rubbish and was quickly canned.

As a form of reverse Transportation Aussies send these shows back to England to see out their remaining days in exile.

Certainly there are TV shows in Oz that if seen outside the context of local understandings would appear racist - "Pizza" springs to mind with its totally non-PC approach to most things - the "Police are now targetting LEBANESE." signs being one example. Poking fun at yourself, "taking the piss" as we say, is still standard fare on Aussie TV, most of us have ancestors from somewhere else so the world, as well as ourselves is fair game. :o

"Thick as a brick" sometimes with the add-on "and twice as dense." is a fairly standard Aussie line - but given the quality of headLand's overall production I would not be surprised that the sound was off, the actor misread his line during the single take filming or that the script had an error and no-one picked it up till now. Possibly a combination of all three. That said Channel 7 has its main roots in Melbourne, the world's third largest Greek city so I really can't see such a line being deliberate.

The show was rubbish and was quickly canned.

As a form of reverse Transportation Aussies send these shows back to England to see out their remaining days in exile.

Certainly there are TV shows in Oz that if seen outside the context of local understandings would appear racist - "Pizza" springs to mind with its totally non-PC approach to most things - the "Police are now targetting LEBANESE." signs being one example. Poking fun at yourself, "taking the piss" as we say, is still standard fare on Aussie TV, most of us have ancestors from somewhere else so the world, as well as ourselves is fair game. :D

Nice one Matt.... :o

redrus

Good, accurate post Matt. :D

Hedland!!! That was years ago. Only lasted a few episodes from memory. Can't believe anyone would buy it.

Channel 5, of the 5 in England did. They've now got Home and Away too............... :D:o

redrus

I thought it was "As Thick As Two Short Planks"!!

There were two Greek Lads and a Girl who called herself Effie one of the guys was Ninno

They did a Series called <deleted> Out Of Work.. and Acropolis Now..

The Girl did a Greek Version of Khumas at No 42..

So it was the ethnics in OZ who were responsible not the Australians being racists..

I thought it was "As Thick As Two Short Planks"!!

There were two Greek Lads and a Girl who called herself Effie one of the guys was Ninno

They did a Series called <deleted> Out Of Work.. and Acropolis Now..

The Girl did a Greek Version of Khumas at No 42..

So it was the ethnics in OZ who were responsible not the Australians being racists..

<deleted> out of work also became a stage show. :D

HUGELY popular. Every second genaeration Aussie I know took their Greek / Italian / Malteese / european parents to it and all enjoyed the humour. It poked fun at everyone, the aussies, the parents and the kids who tried to exist in both worlds. A spin off was a Vietnamese guy who joined th cast at one time, another new audience. :o