Opticians?

MickeyMaow

I plan on going to Runtin for an eye check anyway , so I will get the perscription and PD and give it a try

I "think" I only need reading glasses , but have not had an eye check-up in years , so I will bring my Drug store reading glasses with me and have them checked ,

they are "200" and I guess they only go up to 300 strength or so ......

But I go thru them quick, a couple a month , breaking them by sitting on them etc , so I hate to have real expensive ones ,

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of glasses from Vision several years ago,was duly impressed with the examination.I was talked into going with the "superior scratch-proof lenses". I must of been so be-dazzled or be-fuddled by the experience that when I got the invoice I could of sworn I calculated the price difference around 3,000baht less.

2-days later picked-up the glasses/frames and they were fabulous in clarity. A year later my lenses were so scratched that the glasses became uncomfortable to wear,unusual from just normal wear'n tear .While in my home country I had to buy a new pair and asked the optometrist what kind of lens I had,she said they were the very basic type that would easily scratch. So, who knows,could of been an oopse in the Vision lab that day and a mis-calculation on my part,but I remember walking away with that nagging feeling that things weren't as they appeared,in spite of the clarity.

I would still go to Vision for a prescription if need be, however,after drinking chlorophyll for more than a year my eye sight has improved dramatically, thankfully I don't need to purchase over-priced glasses...at least for the foreseeable future.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:35 AM, oldcarguy said:

any comments on the terrible reviews Zenni seems to be getting lately ?

they are cheap enough to be throw away , but not worth the hassle if you need the glasses and keep getting "duds"

Had two pairs delivered to my condo here a few months ago...perfect.  They ship 7000 pairs to 80 countries...per day.  Thailand is the land of smiles...not the land of good vision..corrected or not.  The place by Zoe wouldn't give me an exam at any price..but maybe I got the wrong person on the wrong day.  Tokyo gave me a script that was waaay off.  Waited an hour at Ram and bailed...had an appointment, too.  Had a bad experience at their dental clinic too, but had a superb job the first time.  Hit or miss is a rule at immigration that I can't change, but when there are choices, I avoid bozos.

On 12/7/2016 at 1:22 PM, oldcarguy said:

I plan on going to Runtin for an eye check anyway , so I will get the perscription and PD and give it a try

I "think" I only need reading glasses , but have not had an eye check-up in years , so I will bring my Drug store reading glasses with me and have them checked ,

they are "200" and I guess they only go up to 300 strength or so ......

But I go thru them quick, a couple a month , breaking them by sitting on them etc , so I hate to have real expensive ones ,

Hi

I went Monday for check-up , it was good , they run a lot of customers thru the place ,

overall took 2 hours ,  3 sets of tests ,

all went well, walked out with a 1500 baht bill and a perscription for  reading  glasses which was all I needed,,,,

I  will return in a year or 2 for  a repeat :)

There seems to be a tad of confusion about the respective roles of an ophthalmologist and an optician.  An optometrist (like Dr. Rachada) diagnoses and treats diseases of the eye.  She does not provide prescriptions for glasses - with one exception.  After you have had treatments from her - such as glaucoma or cataracts - if you ask long enough, she will provide you a TEMPORARY prescription and make it clear to you that that is a temporary prescription.  Is you ask, she may set-up an appointment with her assistant who DOES check your prescription and will give you that prescription and you can have that filled wherever you wish - they do not sell glasses.    Dr. Rachada is an extremely capable ophthalmologist.

An optician does not check for diseases of the eye, for optic nerve damage, etc - his role in the scheme of things to to check the degree to which your  eyes focus correctly and is not, prescribe and provide corrective lenses, either glasses or contact lenses.  The Vision Center are extremely capable opticians.  They will check your prescription free and sell you glasses.  They will not give you your prescription to have filled elsewhere.

Each have a role to play.  Use them for what was intended.  After all, you wouldn't take your broken foot to a podiatrist; and you wouldn't go to a surgeon for a bad toe-nail.

Sorry but above is incorrect.  An optician has no business testing eyesight (full stop).  That is for either an optometrist (of which there is a severe shortage in Thailand as it is a new degree field) or the full medical doctor ophthalmologist.  The optician makes and can fit the lens but should not be doing any vision testing.  

Below is a good explanation of there functions.

https://www.aapos.org/terms/conditions/132

I do think this is a Thailand forum, and we are talking about THAI practices.  That link MAY be correct for the USA, it is NOT correct for Thailand where the distinction between optometrist and optician has blurred to the point they are indistinguishable.  This is partly due to your comment - that there is a severe shortage of trained optometrists.

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry but above is incorrect.  An optician has no business testing eyesight (full stop).  That is for either an optometrist (of which there is a severe shortage in Thailand as it is a new degree field) or the full medical doctor ophthalmologist.  The optician makes and can fit the lens but should not be doing any vision testing.  

Below is a good explanation of there functions.

https://www.aapos.org/terms/conditions/132

But it does not qualify an optician to test eyesight in Thailand any more than anywhere else.  It is the ophthalmologist that takes on the testing role in hospital setting here and would strongly advise anyone with eyesight issue to use a qualified medical doctor.  

Archived