Chinese woman drowns at Koh Samet beach

webfact

Chinese woman drowns at Koh Samet beach

ch.jpg

Image: Daily News

RAYONG:-- A Chinese woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming off Koh Samet on Monday.

Chen Mengyuan, 23, was with five friends when began shouting for help before disappearing under the water.

Friends and rescue workers rushed to save her and administered CPR on the beach before she was taken to Samet hospital for treatment. She was then transferred to Rayong hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

The official cause of death is yet to be determined.

Thai media reports the deceased was an intern at the UN in Thailand.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-06

I don't know if there are rip tides there but if there are I wish that fact could be pounded into the heads of tourists from abroad and Thailand.  I got caught in one on my first trip to the ocean, I was a very strong swimmer and 17 years old or would have been dead for sure. I swam straight against it as I didn't know better. I'm not sure I could have made it back if I didn't get some luck as it quit when I was really wearing down but winning the battle. When it stopped I was in five feet of water and able to stand up but no way I could have stood up against that current. It was years later that I found out what that was. It wouldn't be a very long course in school to teach of this risk. It seems swimming lessons are out of the question. No child of mine would not learn to swim. 

42 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I don't know if there are rip tides there but if there are I wish that fact could be pounded into the heads of tourists from abroad and Thailand.  I got caught in one on my first trip to the ocean, I was a very strong swimmer and 17 years old or would have been dead for sure. I swam straight against it as I didn't know better. I'm not sure I could have made it back if I didn't get some luck as it quit when I was really wearing down but winning the battle. When it stopped I was in five feet of water and able to stand up but no way I could have stood up against that current. It was years later that I found out what that was. It wouldn't be a very long course in school to teach of this risk. It seems swimming lessons are out of the question. No child of mine would not learn to swim. 

Adopt me?

10 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Do Chinese even no how to swim? Seems a awful lot of them drown. Rip to the young girl.

Having lived there for 6 years and swimming almost daily in pools around Shanghai there were very few that could swim. Not unlike Thais either, many can't save themselves if they get into trouble. It is a huge issue and it can happen very, very fast. 

I've been to Ko Samet  five times and on two of those occasions I've seen people pulled out of the water lifeless and looking slightly blue. This has been over a period of 16 years. I can't remember the name of the places we stayed the two times I've seen this, but both incidents occurrred a couple of beaches north of Tubtim. There is an undercurrent there sometimes that can easily drag you out. I moved to Thailand last year and it was one of the things that put me off Ko Samet. My kids are now well aware of what to do if there is an undertow.