The New Citizenship Test/course

I have just been reading about the new citizenship test/course in order to get ILR. my wife has just got her S/V and is just about to come in to the uk. So where can she go to study for this citizenship test. Can she go to a college or something ? can she study or go to college for free or do i have to pay ?. Are there any books available on the test and where can i get them ?. And what is ESOL ? my wifes English is not realy that good and i would not have the time to teach her myself so home study is not an option for her thanks for any help

Edited by mazo

ESOL is a English as a second language course. I think she can qualify for it free, if lived here for more than 12 months. So you might have to pay. And yes, some colleges do it, you'll have to check your local one's. But make sure they have the citizenship material on the course or it doesn't qualify.

The citizen test. You buy the book (approx £10) she studies it and takes the test (£34) at a test centre.

I've only found this stuff out today as well, so someone might have better info. Wish my mrs luck as well, withh this stupid change ILR :o

ESOL is a English as a second language course. I think she can qualify for it free, if lived here for more than 12 months. So you might have to pay. And yes, some colleges do it, you'll have to check your local one's. But make sure they have the citizenship material on the course or it doesn't qualify.

The citizen test. You buy the book (approx £10) she studies it and takes the test (£34) at a test centre.

I've only found this stuff out today as well, so someone might have better info. Wish my mrs luck as well, withh this stupid change ILR :o

I do not think you need this test, only when appying for British citizenship after 3 years, i think you can get an indefinate stay visa after you have been here for 6 months on a fiancee visa and got married. not sure of other visas.

you must have lived in the uk, for 3 years or more to do the life in the UK test, my wife and thai stepdaughter have lived in the UK for 10 years, they both could of had a british passport after 3 years of being here, i did not bother, i must admit i should of, as now my daughter is 15 and go's to boarding school she needs a british passport, so now my wife has to sit this test, or alternative is to do an ESOL English Course,with certificate, on the application form you have to tick the one which is relavent, i believe the english course is easier than the test, that is my wifes opinion, these new laws came out in nov 2005, you can buy a practice cd off the net, here is the link. it has practice questions to give you some idea what its about,

http://www.britishcitizenship-test.co.uk/?...CFRh4EQodPHfBoQ

My wife can speak english perfect, and read a little, but she has to do the test as my daughter is under 16, if my daughter was doing it i think she would fly through, as she can speak, Thai, English, french and german.

Good luck,

Edited by Thaicoon

I do not think you need this test, only when appying for British citizenship after 3 years, i think you can get an indefinate stay visa after you have been here for 6 months on a fiancee visa and got married. not sure of other visas.

No Thaicoon. Unfortunately this all changes in april 2007. The test has to be done before you can get ILR now. Before, she just did the 2 years on a Settlement Visa and applied for ILR. Then do the test for Citizenship. Now (well from applications after april 2007) this is all change :D

Thanks for the help mrbojangles and i do Wish your mrs luck with the test.

Cheers buddy, same to your better half as well :o

If you were Bosnian or east european, they would let you in, with a crate of Vodka, 5000 Fags, and a bloddy big handout off Mr Blair. Proud to be British, not any more.

More stupid rules, the country has gone to the dogs, i did not know it had changed again, my wife is starting the esol english course after xmas, my fault as i say, should of got her uk passport 7 years ago, better late than never, once we have got all this sorted, moving to Thailand.

All the best to you and the Mrs.

Edited by Thaicoon

I have just been reading about the new citizenship test/course in order to get ILR. my wife has just got her S/V and is just about to come in to the uk. So where can she go to study for this citizenship test. Can she go to a college or something ? can she study or go to college for free or do i have to pay ?. Are there any books available on the test and where can i get them ?. And what is ESOL ? my wifes English is not realy that good and i would not have the time to teach her myself so home study is not an option for her thanks for any help

Hi mazo,

Mr Boj has answered your questions, I have only just heard of the change of rules, so not sure of their content.

I am not sure you will need the level three in an ESOL approved course as your other half already has an S/V.

At this time for Brit Cit she will need to do the Life in the UK test, you can buy the book at most good book stores, get her to study the book, only three relevant chapters and test her on a daily basis.

If you do the hard yards and she has a rudimentary understanding of the language, believe me she will get thru it, my wife passed it fter having the book for just a week, although she did have a fairly good, if not extensive vocab.

It is quite clear from other posters on other threads that say that they can't answer the 'stupid', questions, well niether could I, but I didn't need too, she does.

As it stands you don't need to pass a course, only a test and this can be done with a little hard work, in my opinion.

This is all qualified by the fact I don't know the new rules and not sure whether she will have to take and ultimately pass a language course to a standard of level 3 at your present immigration status.

Perhaps somebody can clarify, I havn't the time to check for myself, but good luck to you and your other half.

As for the colleges, mazo it will depend on where you are, in Oxford there are many courses of varying standards on learning English, a lot are free, I am not so sure all are so lucky.

Mr Boj, good luck I am sure with your guidance it will be a walk in the path for your better half.

Good Luck

Moss

This is all qualified by the fact I don't know the new rules and not sure whether she will have to take and ultimately pass a language course to a standard of level 3 at your present immigration status.

Perhaps somebody can clarify, I havn't the time to check for myself, but good luck to you and your other half.

Check rules about language and citizenship tests here

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/guideannew.pdf

You may also be interested in the following if you intend to apply for citizenship

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

It ain't getting any easier.

It's an either/or scenario: either the ESOL Entry 3 with Citizenship, or the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

Check rules about language and citizenship tests here

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/guideannew.pdf

You may also be interested in the following if you intend to apply for citizenship

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

It ain't getting any easier.

Hopefully, I don't really need too, as the wife should now have fulfilled all the criterion to get Brit Cit.

But thanks for the links, I think I will read them for clarity, because I have a bad feeling this is going to be a long running saga.

Good Luck

Moss

It's an either/or scenario: either the ESOL Entry 3 with Citizenship, or the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

Thanks, Scouse, I promise to read the rules :o

But as for Brit Cit, this is no change, I had a bad feeling from reading the post that kicked all this off, that they were going to insist on an ESOL G3 as well as well as a LITUK test, well obviously not.

Moss