Screw extractor, 'easy-out' set.

NanLaew

I regularly scour the DYI shelves for different and interesting gadgets I'd like to use but which usually end up in the bottom of the drawer, and I can't say I've ever seen them. But thanks for the idea - onto aliexpress.

PS: Under "screw extractor" in aliexpress, there are 1,140 listings. Looks like a lot of interesting gadgets that will never get used for me to buy.

Edited by Dexlowe
addy

I have not seen but you could give a try at the screw shop on thepparasit. They have all kinds of stuff related to screws and related tools incl machining tools. I had luck finding some tools there I could not find elsewhere. 

North side of thepparasit, i recall somewhere between soi 8 and suk. Clearly visible sign stating 'screws'. 

I am trying to find the street view for you but running out of time, I bought a set in there exactly as your illustration so unless they have run out should be good.

EDIT

Got it here it is, they work well, I extracted several bolts out of a lawn mower that had sheared right off

2016-12-07_131353.jpg

On December 7, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Rimmer said:

I am trying to find the street view for you but running out of time, I bought a set in there exactly as your illustration so unless they have run out should be good.

EDIT

Got it here it is, they work well, I extracted several bolts out of a lawn mower that had sheared right off

2016-12-07_131353.jpg

I think I have bought the very last pack in this shop. But you can get them on aliexpress. However, if your need is urgent - and what need isn't - then PM me and you can borrow mine. 

On 07/12/2016 at 11:37 AM, Dexlowe said:

I regularly scour the DYI shelves for different and interesting gadgets I'd like to use but which usually end up in the bottom of the drawer, and I can't say I've ever seen them. But thanks for the idea - onto aliexpress.

PS: Under "screw extractor" in aliexpress, there are 1,140 listings. Looks like a lot of interesting gadgets that will never get used for me to buy.

How about one of these impact drivers which does a similar job.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/impact-drivers-wrenches/cat830838

A bit expensive for a one off job though.

Not really the same thing, Bill. More for drilling into concrete. Usually for stubborn screws on the old motorbike, I'd use an impact screwdriver, lot of fun belting it with a hammer. But for screws with the heads ruined, these extractors solve the problem pretty quick. 

My next gadget will be a bit sharpener. 

Boy's toys - they keep you sane. :passifier:

On 12/12/2016 at 3:56 PM, Dexlowe said:

I think I have bought the very last pack in this shop. But you can get them on aliexpress. However, if your need is urgent - and what need isn't - then PM me and you can borrow mine. 

You bast**d!... I still haven't got a new battery on the motorbike yet!!

No worries and thanks for the offer. I actually needed these about 6 months ago for a stripped bolt on the front-end of my truck and I managed to carefully drill out the bolt and retap the threads in the captive nut... that's why I now have a hardly used tap and die set! I remembered I had a easy-out set in my toolbox in the garage in Texas (that apparently has since been stolen) so I guess i can wait for a buddy coming over from Houston for Christmas.

But good find from Rimmer on yet another 'toy' emporium for the lads.

21 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Not really the same thing, Bill. More for drilling into concrete. Usually for stubborn screws on the old motorbike, I'd use an impact screwdriver, lot of fun belting it with a hammer. But for screws with the heads ruined, these extractors solve the problem pretty quick. 

My next gadget will be a bit sharpener. 

Boy's toys - they keep you sane. :passifier:

I don't bother with re-sharpening the low-cost drill bits on most local hardware shelves. They are useless and I reckon they are disposable and masonry bits are a total joke. I have two quality sets of drill from overseas and a drill sharpener makes sense for keeping them in top condition.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I don't bother with re-sharpening the low-cost drill bits on most local hardware shelves. They are useless and I reckon they are disposable and masonry bits are a total joke. I have two quality sets of drill from overseas and a drill sharpener makes sense for keeping them in top condition.

Absolutely right -- bits are cheap (and shoddy for the most part) -- but like the good boy scout that I am, I like to be prepared, come that day when all 4 tyres on the car are burst, the motorbike is out of gas and the missus won't jump on the cycle and go down to the hardware store for you.

The masonry drill bits are terrible, I had a set of Bosch bits I bought with a Bosch drill many years back and they lasted well but ones I buy now I use them a few times and they end up in the 'maybe can use in an emergency' box  :sad:

I also seem to have monumental problems matching wall plugs with the masonry drill bit sizes available

I think part of the problem with masonry drills bits here ( apart from the generally very low quality )  is that quite often there will be bits of

"something" other than masonry  ( metal I suspect )  in the wall that  almost immediately blunts the drill bit, it then gets hot and even more blunt

sometimes even melts the bit !

@Rimmer   at the Hardwarehouse/SCG  in Bahn amphur  they sell an assortment of wall pugs and drill bits to match,  some drill bits where out of stock  last time I went  a couple of weeks ago  7mm diameter seems to be very popular only the very expensive  one left.

The wall plugs will very often have the size written on them   so 7  needs a 7mm hole to be drilled   if not then get the tape measure out and

measure the width of the front ribbed part of the plug ..not the end with the hole in  that will be too wide and your shelf will fall off the wall !

40 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

The masonry drill bits are terrible, I had a set of Bosch bits I bought with a Bosch drill many years back and they lasted well but ones I buy now I use them a few times and they end up in the 'maybe can use in an emergency' box  :sad:

I also seem to have monumental problems matching wall plugs with the masonry drill bit sizes available

My Bosch masonry bits came from the UK after wrecking several local sets including one that had 'Bosch' on the packaging.

Point to note if you are ever drilling ceramic tile that came from Vietnam; it will murder any locally-forged masonry drill bit faster than a regular breeze block will. Vietnamese ceramics are becoming very popular here but their tiles are much harder than the old local SCC and Cotto <deleted> that gets chipped and cracked while being brought from the shop to the site.