Need Info From Teachers

penzman

I am presently having a conflict with my employer (private school) and need to know if any of you have to be present at school these days, until May 17th.

I was previously told that I did not have to be present between the end of summer camp and the beginning of the new school year, May 17th. I teach conversational English. I am not required to prepare any exams or do any corrections, only classroom reports after each class.

I was asked 2 days ago where I was going on vacation and yesterday the manager (with an exagerated smile) announces that I have to be there every day until May 17th from 7:30 am to 5 pm! :o "You have Saturdays and Sundays off :D " I already have Saturdays and Sundays off! :D

I did not go to work today (too angry) to show that I will not accept any changes to what we had agreed to previously, whatever the consequences...

Thai schools seem to have funny ideas about school holidays.

My son's teachers tell me that just because the kids are on holiday

does not mean that they are.

I agree holidays are holidays, inless you agree to "Camp", Summer School, for extra pay, but that is a Brit view.

In the Condo I occupy during the working week are many teachers from TCIS (Thai Chinese International School), as well as other schools in the area with farang teachers.

All have been catching their bus every morning at 06.30, for the entire time my daughter has been on vacation from her (Thai) school.

Don't know if the TCIS has had pupils, but certainly all the teachers have been on duty.

Hi penzman

As you’re aware summer school officially ends tomorrow and the new school year begins on the 17th of May. At my school all staff are required to return on the 10th and spend that week planning lessons, activities, tests, etc. However, I know teachers at other schools who have the entire two weeks off (in which they still have to do these things) – think it just depends on the school.

In my experience foreign teachers can get away with not coming in for these pointless days. They pay you little enough as it is and you will not be easy to replace. If you are any good they will not want to lose you.

• 2 weeks later...

They've managed to pull a few more fast ones on me last thursday and friday ( decided to end the strike and see what happens). So I packed my stuff and left early Friday pm.

I am resigning tomorrow, the gf and me came up with some ideas for work.

How's this for a resignation letter?

Dear manager,

I would like to confirm my status as the latest rodent to vacate your increasingly leaky vessel.

Yours,

PENZMAN :o