West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Zola speaks..

Gianfranco Zola has expressed his delight at capturing Savio Nsereko from Brescia.

Nsereko was confirmed as Zola's first signing as West Ham manager earlier this morning and could go straight into the team to face Hull at the Boleyn tomorrow night.

But Zola also pleaded with the club's supporters to show patience with the 19-year-old, who signed a four year contract last night.

"We have high expectations of him," said Zola, "but we musn't forget that the boy is only 19 years old and is one for the future. We will try to improve him, to make him a better player. We know that he's got great potential and can become a real top player but the crowd and everybody needs to be patient with him.

"He's only 19 and he's very much willing to improve, and we're going to help him. We also need to allow him some time to settle down. The reason we bought Savio is because we see in him the potential that belongs to very good players, special players. We'll be looking forward to working with him and making him a better player.

"I don't think that the money they are talking about in the newspapers is the money we have spent on Savio, it's much less than that. We like to gamble but I don't think Savio is a gamble. When I see certain things in a player it's not a gamble, I know what he can do. Obviously I know that I have to add something to his game but I'm pretty sure it's not a gamble."

Zola also retireated the club's desire to continue to bring in the best young players from around the globe, thereby rubbishing recent media reports claiming that United are unable to bring in any new faces due to financial concerns.

"There were a lot of worries around the club [with regards to] the club selling," he added, "but as you saw we confirmed what we said - we sold the players that were not playing regularly here. Some of them went because they wanted to go.

"The club wants to achieve something here, we want to improve. We want to do that working with the players we've got here, to improve young players and make them better. That's the plan we have and we are sticking to it."

he's really highly rated by the way. be interesting to see how he settles.

Yeah it's exciting i suppose just so long as the Fans don't expect too much too soon, he's only 19 but if you're good enough, you're old enough ..

Time will tell, fingers crossed... :o

Yeah it's exciting i suppose just so long as the Fans don't expect too much too soon, he's only 19 but if you're good enough, you're old enough ..

he could be the new florin raducioiu.

he could be the new florin raducioiu.

:D

Good Player was Radacioiu, not for us but he was a good Player.. :D

Preferred Shopping in Harvey Nichols though than playing Football.. :D

Juts so long as he isn't a Titi Camara i'll be happy...

Edited by MSingh

Interesting Duxbury Interview 1..

Craig Bellamy was refused permission to talk to Tottenham about a potential move, according to Hammers CEO Scott Duxbury.

Bellamy completed his switch to Manchester City last week despite having initially expressed a preference for a move to Tottenham - a move vetoed by the club in the wake of Harry Redknapp's comments on the possibility of signing Bellamy at the beginning of January.

And Duxbury, talking to SkySports this lunchtime, confirmed that rumours of Bellamy going on strike were wide of the mark.

"I'm not sure that it was a sale because a sale implies that we wanted to do it - and we didn't," he said. "We made it quite clear to Craig that we wanted him to stay. I forget the number of bids that we turned down.

"I wouldn't say there was animosity but we didn't want him to go and he left, so that's never a comfortable situation. But as far as I am concerned Craig is no longer a West Ham player, he's not my concern.

"On the Friday that we had the meeting he made it quite clear to me that he wanted to leave and join Tottenham. He was in no frame of mind to train so we both agreed that it was probably best he went home and considered his position.

"At that point I was still hopeful he would reconsider and continue to play for West Ham, but as the days went on it bcame quite clear that wasn't a possibility.

"I made it quite clear to Craig that there wasn't any possibility of him joining Tottenham. I think he understood that that transfer was never going to be a possibility - and he thought again."

Bellamy also denied reports that he refused to play against Fulham, a game won 3-1 by the Hammers.

"I've heard all this talk about me going on strike but I have absolutely no idea where it has come from," he said. "I cannot understand it.

"Maybe in the past I have done some things that I shouldn't have - but this one is not true."

Very interesting Duxbury Interview number 2 & if he keeps saying this kind of thing, he'll win me over quick enough... :o

West Ham United CEO Scott Duxbury has told SkySports that the club are back on the up following the signing of Savio Nsereko.

Duxbury, talking in the wake of Nsereko's unveiling this morning reiterated that the club are determined to hang on to their key players despite constant media reports claiming an imminent firesale due to Chairman Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson's finanicial difficulties.

And he repeated claims, first published in the Independent last week that the days of selling star players to local rivals Tottenham are well and truly over.

"The January transfer window is perplexing," said Duxbury. "You're in the middle of a race and then suddenly you've got to lose some of your players. You should be able to get to the end of the race with the squad you've got - and we're doing well.

"We didn't want to lose any players because I think we can achieve something quite special this season. There is a change of philosophy at this football club; I keep referring to the football project, it's a business plan that we stick to [in order] to deliver success.

"Part of that is that we need to be aware of our fans expectations, and we need to be aware who our local rivals are. There's a masssive rivalry between ourselves and Tottenham. As I've said, it's nothing against Tottenham but why on earth should we sell any player that would strengthen their team? It just makes no sense to me.

"We're competitive, we're in a competitive league. I want to finish above Tottenham year after year and I want to deliver success - so I won't be selling any of our players to our local rivals, it just makes no sense to me."

Good to the see the club making postive moves in the transfer market today with the caputure of Savio, and l really hope the boy does well, but could someone tell me what Freddie Sears has done wrong he has'nt had a sniff since Zola arrived apart from 10 minutes against Fulham. Sears might not have strength in the air because of his size, but he has 2 quick feet and good ball skills and he he's not afraid to run at players, looking at Savio this morning at the press conference he looks smaller than Zola, so what does he have to offer that Sears does'nt ????

Sears was born in Hornchurch supports the club and has been here since he was 11, and just like Zamora he is West Ham through and through and one of the few players at the club who is here for the football not the money. We need players who really want to play for the club, not just someone looking to make a name for himself and move on.

Duxbury talked alot today about the ' future plan ' and the way forward, surely building a solid base around the home - grown talent like Collinson, Tomkins and Sears is the way forward, not taking a club record gamble on a player who has proved nothing, for me with the club in financial meltdown this was the wrong move, if we were going to spend this kind of money bring in a proven goal scorer.

Good to the see the club making postive moves in the transfer market today with the caputure of Savio, and l really hope the boy does well, but could someone tell me what Freddie Sears has done wrong he has'nt had a sniff since Zola arrived apart from 10 minutes against Fulham. Sears might not have strength in the air because of his size, but he has 2 quick feet and good ball skills and he he's not afraid to run at players, looking at Savio this morning at the press conference he looks smaller than Zola, so what does he have to offer that Sears does'nt ????

Sears was born in Hornchurch supports the club and has been here since he was 11, and just like Zamora he is West Ham through and through and one of the few players at the club who is here for the football not the money. We need players who really want to play for the club, not just someone looking to make a name for himself and move on.

Duxbury talked alot today about the ' future plan ' and the way forward, surely building a solid base around the home - grown talent like Collinson, Tomkins and Sears is the way forward, not taking a club record gamble on a player who has proved nothing, for me with the club in financial meltdown this was the wrong move, if we were going to spend this kind of money bring in a proven goal scorer.

I understand what you're saying Mate 100% but something i say to my Pals every day about Players is relevent.

We don't see them every day in Training, who knows what the problem with Sears is, it certainly doens't seem obvious when he does have time on the Pitch though, you're right..

But i trust Zola & Clarke's judgement 100% & if they don't think he's worth a place evene, when they watch him for hours upon hours per week, then that's it if you ask me..

& i'd love our Players to all be local etc but it doesn't cut it with me personally, Konchesky's from Barkign, West Ham through & through, but i wanted to throw a Party when we got rid of him as he was pony, embaressingly so towards the end too for us..

With regards to the signing, again, i trust Zola & Clarke & also Nani's judgement on Players..

This Signing i can't see being a Signing as being a direct Bellamy replacement, but surely he'd be one for the future, next Season i'd say as he needs to settle into the League, the Country, London, etc..

I do agree though & wished we would buy a starting Striker to partner Cole but again, have faith in the Management, they obviously know what they're doing.. :o

I understand what you're saying Mate 100% but something i say to my Pals every day about Players is relevent.

We don't see them every day in Training, who knows what the problem with Sears is, it certainly doens't seem obvious when he does have time on the Pitch though, you're right..

But i trust Zola & Clarke's judgement 100% & if they don't think he's worth a place evene, when they watch him for hours upon hours per week, then that's it if you ask me..

& i'd love our Players to all be local etc but it doesn't cut it with me personally, Konchesky's from Barkign, West Ham through & through, but i wanted to throw a Party when we got rid of him as he was pony, embaressingly so towards the end too for us..

With regards to the signing, again, i trust Zola & Clarke & also Nani's judgement on Players..

This Signing i can't see being a Signing as being a direct Bellamy replacement, but surely he'd be one for the future, next Season i'd say as he needs to settle into the League, the Country, London, etc..

I do agree though & wished we would buy a starting Striker to partner Cole but again, have faith in the Management, they obviously know what they're doing.. :o

For sure Zola has done a great job, he stuck with his system after a shaky start and it's starting to pay dividends, Clarke is a first-class coach and why Chelsea let him go l will never know, so l will trust in their decision to bring this boy in, obviously they've done their homework and they see something in him ......

One thing that has worked out well for us was changing the backroom staff, our injury problems seemed to have cleared up and that takes alot more than luck.

Talking of luck, bad luck for Bowyer that is, did you see him get floored by the blackpool player at the weekend, what a peach of a shot, as they say in Thailand ' somme na na '

For sure Zola has done a great job, he stuck with his system after a shaky start and it's starting to pay dividends, Clarke is a first-class coach and why Chelsea let him go l will never know, so l will trust in their decision to bring this boy in, obviously they've done their homework and they see something in him ......

One thing that has worked out well for us was changing the backroom staff, our injury problems seemed to have cleared up and that takes alot more than luck.

Talking of luck, bad luck for Bowyer that is, did you see him get floored by the blackpool player at the weekend, what a peach of a shot, as they say in Thailand ' somme na na '

I didn't see it Mate..

What, the Fella knocked him out ??

& what you said about the Injury stuff & Backroom Staff was bang on, Dyer, who has pulled his calf ( no joke ) doesn't count though...... :D

Best performance of the Season that & the only complaint was that we were too wasteful in front of Goal..

The Pass & Move was excellent..

We are actually starting to look like a decent side, we are due an absolute tonking at the Emirates on Saturday to bring us back down to Earth.. :o

Best performance of the Season that & the only complaint was that we were too wasteful in front of Goal..

We are actually starting to look like a decent side, we are due an absolute tonking at the Emirates on Saturday to bring us back down to Earth.. :o

Have to agree with you, thought we were blinding last night. Carlton Cole should'nt beat himself up l thought is effort and commitment were first-class, he held the ball well and his link up play and runs were very intelligent.

Di Michele done himself proud what a performance, from a very clever player. Earlier in the season when Bellamy and Cole were not scoring l thought we should have played him, because he has'nt had too many bad games for us, and for man of 32 the amount of running he does from start to finish is amazing.

l'm loving watching the quality of football we are playing right now, and l see no reason why we can't get something out of the next 2 games, nobody is going to fancy playing us right now so here's hoping ............................................................ come on you irons !!!!!!!!!

Have to agree with you, thought we were blinding last night. Carlton Cole should'nt beat himself up l thought is effort and commitment were first-class, he held the ball well and his link up play and runs were very intelligent.

Di Michele done himself proud what a performance, from a very clever player. Earlier in the season when Bellamy and Cole were not scoring l thought we should have played him, because he has'nt had too many bad games for us, and for man of 32 the amount of running he does from start to finish is amazing.

l'm loving watching the quality of football we are playing right now, and l see no reason why we can't get something out of the next 2 games, nobody is going to fancy playing us right now so here's hoping ............................................................ come on you irons !!!!!!!!!

Something i said earlier to a Friend about Cole is the fact that when he doesn't seem to need to think about a chance, he's fine & would generally score, but give him a one on one & solmething to think about & he's terrible...

His all round play though as you said, was superb last night..

Di Michele's no mug either, you don't play regualry in Serie A if you are so for anyone to write him off after 2 full Games & a few Subs appearences in a very, very different League to what he's played all of his career in, was foolish..

He's starting to learn that he won't have the time on the ball that he may have got in Italy, he's starting to realise that he has to give the ball quicker & overall he's begininng to understand how we play much better too..

We're alright at the minute & i'm finally enjoying our Football again, i'm feeling very posetive & SO MUCH credit has to go to Zola & Clarke in my opinion..

3-0 to Le Arse it is then on Saturday... :D

Czech midfielder Radoslav Kovac has been talking about his impending move to West Ham United.

The 29-year-old Czech international is joining the Hammers on loan for the rest of the season with view to making the deal permanent in the summer, as revealed on KUMB.com yesterday.

Kovac, who is set to fly to England in order to rubber-stamp his move within the next 24 hours could be involved in the squad that faces Arsenal at the Emirates this coming weekend alongside United's other new boy Savio Nsereko, who made his debut in last night's 2-0 win against Hull City.

Talking to Sovietsky Sport, Kovac confirmed that he rejected a number of other offers in order to play in the Premier League.

"The last decision was for me to choose West Ham over Celtic, but my decision was because of the Premier League.

"West Ham's manager and executives want me. West Ham love Czechs, they already have Jan Lastuvka and Marek Stech in their squad.

"This year I will be 30 and I only have a few years left before I become known as a veteran, so I want to realise my dream of playing in one of the main championships.

"Everyone whom I have asked for advice have told me to go, and the examples of Vidic and Pavlyuchenko gives me the motivation - they have both moved to England and succeeded there."

Kovac - who has been on Gianfranco Zola's hit-list for some time - confirmed that the deal had been completed in little more than a day - less than 72 hours after the Hammers sold Hayden Mullins, whom Kovac will effectively replace, to Portsmouth.

"Everything happened on Wednesday," he added. "My agents recently started to actively work and they found a few options, but I never really thought my pre-season with Spartak now would be my last one.

"I haven't even had chance to say goodbye to my team-mates, but I have had a call to say everything is ready and my ticket to London is booked."

I don't think either of them are really that good as strikers, but they are playing well. I'm hoping Tristan can get fit and find his old magic, but am not that optimistic. We really need some goals from midfield because not every team will be as generous as Hull.

We are actually starting to look like a decent side, we are due an absolute tonking at the Emirates on Saturday to bring us back down to Earth.. :D

I don't think either of them are really that good as strikers, but they are playing well. I'm hoping Tristan can get fit and find his old magic, but am not that optimistic. We really need some goals from midfield because not every team will be as generous as Hull.

As individuals, you're right, they ain't great BUT..............They seem to play well together & compliment each other..

Cole's confidence is sky high & at the end of the day the Fella's sored 6 in 7 so is doing something right..

Di Michele can do a job too, as i've said previously, i don't really expect Tristan to actually start a Game this Year if i'm honest unless Cole gets a bad injury & Ashton.........Who knows..

We're alright though, don't worry... :o

I think we can just about write Ashton off unfortunately.

Cole seems to have a knack for being in the right place to get the tap ins these days. I think his new found confidence is leading him forward instead of moping.

Maybe we'll make a last minute announcement tomorrow night about a new hitman.

I've got a joke for you, in fact, it's not a joke, it's one of the craziest things i've ever read or heard about, in my life !!!!!!!!! :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/7862210.stm

West Ham midfielder Julien Faubert is on the verge of joining Spanish giants Real Madrid on loan.

The Frenchman has been given permission to talk to Real after struggling to secure a first-team place this season.

Real must pay a £1.5m fee for the loan move, with the option of buying Faubert at the end of the season.

Faubert, 25, joined West Ham in 2007 from Bordeaux for £6.1m, but soon ruptured his Achilles tendon, which kept him out until January 2008.

Madrid have been searching for a right winger during the transfer window had been linked with Jermaine Pennant, Aaron Lennon and Antonio Valencia.

The Hammers signed midfielder Radoslav Kovac on a loan deal on Friday and have also signed striker Savio Nsereko during the transfer window.

West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury: "I was first contacted by Madrid on Friday and after extensive negotiations, we have agreed in principle a deal that would see them paying us a £1.5m fee to take Julien until the end of the season. o.gif

"His long-term future would then be reviewed in the summer, with a significant transfer fee payable should Madrid want to take up their option.

"If Julien does go on loan, then we will look to quickly bring in a replacement.

"Julien has struggled to get into Gianfranco Zola's team this season and, despite the high hopes we had for him when he joined us 18 months ago, he has not had the best of times. "He had asked the manager about a possible move and we felt it right to let him talk to Real Madrid. If it does not happen, then we will of course welcome Julien back into the squad.

West Ham midfielder Julien Faubert has completed his loan move to Real Madrid for the rest of the season.

Empics

Julien Faubert: Has struggled with injury.

The Hammers gave the Frenchman permission to talk to the Spanish champions after he struggled to secure a sustained run in the first team and he has moved to the Bernabeu until the end of the season.

Faubert passed a medical in the Spanish capital on Saturday morning and will be officially presented on Sunday.

Madrid have been searching for a right winger during the transfer window and were linked with the likes of Jermaine Pennant, Aaron Lennon and Antonio Valencia. However, they now seem to have settled for Faubert.

''Real Madrid and West Ham United have reached an agreement for the loan of the French player Julien Faubert until the end of this season,'' read a statement on the club website.

''The signed deal establishes a loan move until June 30, the date in which the technical staff of the club will decide if it suits them to exercise a right to buy the player for the next three years.

''Faubert, who successfully passed the medical this morning, will be presented in the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on Monday February 2 at 11 o'clock.''

West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury told his club's website: "Julien has struggled to get into Gianfranco Zola's team this season - and despite the high hopes we had for him when he joined us 18 months ago, he has not had the best of times.

"He had asked the manager about a possible move, and we felt it right to let him talk to Real Madrid.

"I was first contacted by Madrid on Friday morning - and after extensive negotiations, we have agreed in principle a deal that would see them paying us a £1.5million fee to take Julien until the end of the season.

"His long-term future would then be reviewed in the summer, with a significant transfer fee payable should Madrid want to take up their option.

Faubert joined the London side in 2007 from Bordeaux but soon suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, which left him on the sidelines for the first half of last season.

I'm there, COYI !!! :o

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... in_america

Chelsea, West Ham, Hull City to Contest Asia Trophy in Beijing

Email | Print | A A A

By Tariq Panja and Wing-Gar Cheng

Feb. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Chelsea, West Ham United and Hull City will probably contest the Premier League’s Asia Trophy in Beijing in July, Hull Chairman Paul Duffen said.

The fourth edition of the biennial soccer tournament may be held at the Chinese capital’s Bird’s Nest Stadium, which hosted the 2008 Olympic Games, or the Workers Stadium, where the Chinese national team plays many of its matches.

“The details are yet to be confirmed but it looks very likely Hull City will be playing in Beijing,” Duffen said. A local team will complete the pre-season competition.

Premier League spokesman Dan Johnson said a decision has yet to be made on the location of the 2009 tournament.

Liverpool, Portsmouth and Fulham played in Hong Kong in 2007. The first two editions were held in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.

Chinese interest in soccer has dwindled as its national team has struggled to compete on the world stage and the English Premier League, which attracted a regular television audience estimated at more than 30 million, was pulled from free-to-air television in 2007.

WinTV, run by state-owned Guangdong Provincial Television, won the broadcast rights for three years on a pay-per-view format. The channel has only managed to attract about 20,000 subscribers, according to a British Broadcasting Corp. report.

Asia is seen as a growth market by the Premier League and many of its clubs. Chelsea is sponsored by South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co. and champion Manchester United will make its fifth visit to the continent in a decade following the end of the English league season.

To contact the reporters on this story: Tariq Panja in London at
; Wing-Gar Cheng in Beijing at