West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

He's done well this season, West Ham had the potential to be in the mix for relegation when he took over, he seems to have got that bit extra out of his players. He's one of the few managers that seems to want to get on with the job nice and quietly and not be a celebrity manager. ie his lack of USA style wrestling slanging matches that SIR Alex embarresses himself in all too frequently shows he's a bit more dignity.

Just a pity he cant get deny those years at Chelsea that blight his CV.

Edited by sanmiguel

He's done well this season, West Ham had the potential to be in the mix for relegation when he took over, he seems to have got that bit extra out of his players. He's one of the few managers that seems to want to get on with the job nice and quietly and not be a celebrity manager. ie his lack of USA style wrestling slanging matches that SIR Alex embarresses himself in all too frequently shows he's a bit more dignity.

Haha don't make me laugh son, those Chelsea years are the best he ever experienced, we both know also he will one day be back "home" to manage us, after he gets more experience from managing a small club. :o

Haha don't make me laugh son, those Chelsea years are the best he ever experienced, we both know also he will one day be back "home" to manage us, after he gets more experience from managing a small club. :D

They might be poorer but they certainly arent a smaller club! It was always Tottenham and Arsenal as the big 2 London clubs followed by WestHam then your mob, as everyone knows West Ham and the other 2 clubs mentioned have a decent local loyal following that Chelsea havent had.

Lets be honest why would Zola want to leave a club where they dont chop and change their manager every 6 months to go to one that does?

Chelsea are like that wealthy 48 year old male now living in Thailand who was once a bit of a jack the lad in his day, that thinks because he can pull aesthetically pleasing birds over here that he's somehow in the elite of Thailands male bachelors and a bit of a gods gift to the female species. Whereas those of us watching from the outside know its only his money thats distorting his place in the natural pecking order! :o

Edited by sanmiguel

Haha don't make me laugh son, those Chelsea years are the best he ever experienced, we both know also he will one day be back "home" to manage us, after he gets more experience from managing a small club. :D

They might be poorer but they certainly arent a smaller club! It was always Tottenham and Arsenal as the big 2 London clubs followed by WestHam then your mob, as everyone knows West Ham and the other 2 clubs mentioned have a decent local loyal following that Chelsea havent had.

Lets be honest why would Zola want to leave a club where they dont chop and change their manager every 6 months to go to one that does?

Chelsea are like that wealthy 48 year old male now living in Thailand who was once a bit of a jack the lad in his day, that thinks because he can pull aesthetically pleasing birds over here that he's somehow in the elite of Thailands male bachelors and a bit of a gods gift to the female species. Whereas those of us watching from the outside know its only his money thats distorting his place in the natural pecking order! :D

San, i love you, marry me ??? :o

Chelsea are like that wealthy 48 year old male now living in Thailand who was once a bit of a jack the lad in his day, that thinks because he can pull aesthetically pleasing birds over here that he's somehow in the elite of Thailands male bachelors and a bit of a gods gift to the female species. Whereas those of us watching from the outside know its only his money thats distorting his place in the natural pecking order! :D

During my formative years I had west ham along side QPR ..size wise :o

During my formative years I had west ham along side QPR ..size wise :o

I always saw Spurs and Arsenal as the biggest, with Spurs being the bigger of the 2 as they stole Gazza and Waddle and had a bit more razzamataz about them when i were a boy.

Then West Ham and Chelsea of a similar size, but West Ham had the better away following back in the early 80s.

Then Palace and QPR again of a similar size, the other London teams including Fulham didnt make it on the scale.

Nobody involved in the weekend's events surrounding the Chelsea game has walked away from the affair smelling of roses.

Whilst the reputation of West Ham United's fanbase was further besmirched the inflammatory post-match comments made by England captain John Terry will have done little to change the minds of those who feel he was an inappropriate choice for the job. Meanwhile the attack on Hammers fans by Lampard associate and Chelsea fan Ian McGarry in the Sun could have been straight out the pages of a partizan fanzine; it was copy far from worthy of a paper that prides itself on its sports coverage.

The irony is that those media outlets currently criticising the United supporters for their chanting are the ones responsible for breaking the story which led to the songs in the first place. Sun writer McGarry's anti-Hammers rant in Monday's edition comes almost a month to the day after the same newspaper featured the (non) story of Mrs Terry's arrest on their front page. No story = no chant, right?

Yet despite this, it's through the same channels that Terry chose to attack Hammers fans following the match, which Chelsea won 1-0. The Chelsea captain is quoted as saying: "I think West Ham's fans cross the line but I'm not going to give them the chance to have a whinge. When we get stick like that we are more determined to shut them up. We did that."

Well, yes he did. Chelsea won the game and Terry enjoyed celebrating the victory in front of the home fans. Fair play to him, for as he also said: "I will take it and I will give it back." Nobody could deny him that; after all, banter between fans and players is something long associated with the English game (even if Eric Cantona thought otherwise).

But banter is what it was on Saturday - not 'vile and hateful ... abuse' as described by Lampard associate McGarry in the Sun. There was no real nastiness or malice. Given that Frank Jnr had placed himself in the spotlight by calling TalkSport live on air last week to answer criticism relating to his personal affairs (something for which he received much credit by many Hammers fans, it should be added), it is almost inevitable that the story would have been referred to by opposing fans - regardless of the venue.

The fact that it came ahead of this particular match was simply a pure coincidence. The same can be said in Terry's case given the story's recent widespread exposure.

What strikes me as a little odd however is that the Chelsea captain is happy to continue to work with those who 'outed' his mother (for what after all was a fairly insignificant offence in the grand scale of things). Given that, it could be argued that the story is fair game for the subject of banter. One could be forgiven for thinking that were Terry as offended as he claims by the chanting, he would have refused to work with those particular organisations any more. That doesn't appear to be the case.

There also seems to be some inference that this kind of dialogue is something new in the game - which is patently untrue. On the KUMB.com forums this week one member recalled a time back in the mid-1970s when QPR's Rodney Marsh, recently seperated from his wife was jovially asked by a member of the crowd where his good lady was. Marsh shrugged his shoulders, replied 'I don't know mate' before smashing home a penalty - for which he received a warm ripple of applause. A classier and wittier response, some might say.

More recently (2006) Sheffield United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny was ridiculed by opposition fans after it was revealed in the papers (guess who?) that his wife had left him for one of his close friends. Then-Wigan manager Paul Jewell too. Undoudtedly it would have riled them, possibly upset them too - but neither Kenny, Jewell nor Bowles saw fit to use the press as a vehicle to express their hurt in the manner which Terry (who, don't forget was accused of upsetting American tourists in the wake of 11/9 with 'inappropriate comments') has.

Of course, there is an argument as to what is and is not acceptable in the current climate. West Ham fans have this week been placed on a parallel by at least one mischievious journalist with those Spurs fans who chanted vile abuse at Sol Campbell recently. Regardless of whether singing 'John Terry, your mum's a thief' is as outrageous as claiming Campbell has a terminal disease and should swing for his defection to Arsenal (that's the PG version by the way) are we, as a nation, now at a stage in our cultural development where traditional banter no longer has a place in football?

Already this season fans have been arrested for singing certain songs and using offensive language; smoking has long been outlawed (not to mention those bloody noisy wooden rattles that everyone had as a kid until some bright spark discovered they may have alternative uses) - perhaps banter of this nature is another bastion of the game that is outdated and better left in the past?

With all that in mind, there's little than can be said about those who, it has been claimed, sunk to the depths of making reference to the late Pat Lampard (although there still appears to be some argument whether or not any actually did) during Saturday's game (which, on the positive side, is said to have been drowned out by a chorus of boos from decent fans). It doesn't need me to say that this is abhorrent behaviour of the lowest kind, after all no right-thinking individual would ever entertain the notion of joining in with a song of that nature. Sadly, every team has their elements of those who would.

But every cloud has a silver lining .. and so we move on to Tony Carr's forthcoming testimonial, and the opportunity to heal - or at least narrow - the rift.

If for one brief moment we can look at the situation from John Terry's perspective, the invite to pull on a West Ham shirt given recent events can hardly be the most enthralling prospect - not to mention the fact that he is an Academy product in the loosest possible sense, having left for West London at the age of just 15.

But regardless of Terry's current low standing amongst the United faithful his presence on the night as the current captain of England will only serve to enhance the (yet to be confirmed) game's attendance figure, and therefore Tony Carr's purse. Regardless of any previous misdemeanours for this Terry is to be applauded, and one hopes that for the night at least, his (planned) appearance will be warmly welcomed given that the beneficiary is one of West Ham United's most loyal and important servants ever.

The same can be said for Frank Lampard, who despite recent history remains West Ham through and through - even if he hates himself for it. Since the sad passing of his mother a year ago it has been generally felt that Lampard's mood regarding West Ham has been more conciliatory; certainly (until Monday morning at least) there had been a welcome lack of anti-WHU sentiment, unlike in recent years. It would be a shame if that process was to be derailed.

Perhaps next time John Terry will opt to laugh off the banter or simply flick the bird to his detractors (after all, many of us used to find it amusing when Paolo Di Canio did it). That way he'll earn a lot more respect than he has by crying to the press. In the meantime our supporters would probably be better served concentrating on supporting West Ham (which, with due credit given, was suggested by Ian McGarry) rather than criticising the opposition, which almost always has a negative effect.

After all, that's what supporters are supposed to do. Feel free to join in at home ...

You are my West Ham,

My only West Ham,

You make me happy,

When skies are grey.

You'll never notice,

How much I love you,

'Til you've taken my West Ham away.

La la la la la ...

Given that Frank Jnr had placed himself in the spotlight by calling TalkSport live on air last week to answer criticism relating to his personal affairs (something for which he received much credit by many Hammers fans, it should be added)

Myself included.

A fair enough and balanced article. Do you have the link ?

Judging by the song at the end it was probably written by an 'old school' West Ham.

Happy memories :)

Given that Frank Jnr had placed himself in the spotlight by calling TalkSport live on air last week to answer criticism relating to his personal affairs (something for which he received much credit by many Hammers fans, it should be added)

Myself included.

Judging by the song at the end it was probably written by an 'old school' West Ham.

Happy memories :D

I'm having connection problems tonigth HH & i can't open 2 Internet sessions at once to give you the link but it's written by the Guv of KUMB, Graeme Howlett, & is on KUMB in article called " When Skies are Grey " i think..

To the right hand side on the Home Page... :)

Me too for the record with regards to the Lampard thing..

Myself included.

Happy memories :D

shouldn't this thread b in the lower league thread for small clubs :)

I'm having connection problems tonigth HH & i can't open 2 Internet sessions at once to give you the link but it's written by the Guv of KUMB, Graeme Howlett, & is on KUMB in article called " When Skies are Grey " i think..

To the right hand side on the Home Page... :D

Me too for the record with regards to the Lampard thing..

:D

Well if it should be, what the <deleted> would your Mob be classed as seeing as we've been above you now for ohhhhhhhhh, approximately 13,000 hours i think it is now, all bar one ??? :D

Give up Mate, trust me, i'll make you look like a complete Lemon if you give me a chance, regulary... :D

:D

Well if it should be, what the <deleted> would your Mob be classed as seeing as we've been above you now for ohhhhhhhhh, approximately 13,000 hours i think it is now, all bar one ??? :D

Give up Mate, trust me, i'll make you look like a complete Lemon if you give me a chance, regulary... :D

ur already the lemon of all lemons and im surprised uv not been banned as u usually put the "f" word in most of ur drivvle

Who needs Swine Flu when the Football Forum has caught Lemon Flu with one definate case diagnosed already & Jimbo being given the all clear.... :)

Sorry JS, no more from me, promise..

Edited by MSingh

Who needs Swine Flu when the Football Forum has caught Lemon Flu with one definate case diagnosed already & Jimbo being given the all clear.... :)

That's a bit much coming from HAMMER Ms.

Who needs Swine Flu when the Football Forum has caught Lemon Flu with one definate case diagnosed already & Jimbo being given the all clear.... :D

:)

With som many Lemons Robinsons will be turning up soon.

sorry, i am the lemon - you can be the lime.

haha that makes me a cheap charlie :D

If the Shoe fits Y****..... :):D

Only <deleted> about anyway, peace & love to all...

Found this, made me chuckle...

I was at Upton Park the other day to watch a game, as I was climbing over the wall a copper spots me and shouts oiii sonny get back in there!! :D

Last time I went to see a game at West Ham I goes to the bloke beside me........Ooooiiiiiii :)

I was at Upton Park the other day to watch a game, as I was climbing over the wall a copper spots me and shouts oiii sonny get back in there!! :D

Last time I went to see a game at West Ham I goes to the bloke beside me........Ooooiiiiiii :)

Dreadful Seapok, dreadful... :D

• 4 weeks later...
New Away strip is out.

Another black away shirt in the Premiership

It's not black mate, but two-tones of blue. But I suppose the important thing is that it hasn't actually got any claret and blue. Oh for the days of white away shirt with one claret and one blue hoop. This one is more reminiscent of the Blackburn away shirt of a few seasons ago in fact.

As for plastered-on advertising logo. :)

Not that i'd ever wear a Football Shirt unless playing Football but i think it's alright to be honest..

It's a long time that I've worn one as well. But to my credit I've never worn one with an advertising logo, but used to wear retro 30's and 60's shirts bought from Toffs. Although after the XL crash, some supporters did produce an unofficial Bobby Moore Cancer Research shirt - after the club had reused to do so - and it didn't look too bad.

But fair play to both Barcelona and Aston Villa who both wear logos that either highlight international or local charities and see that there is life beyond greed.

Not that i'd ever wear a Football Shirt unless playing Football but i think it's alright to be honest..

its an improvement in my books, looks alot like arsenal's away kit.

An improvement on what exactly ?

PS

Got to admit that it looks a lot like the Arsenal away shirt though.

post-20082-1244025865_thumb.jpg

Do keep up, James :)

Edited by Happy Hammer

It's a long time that I've worn one as well. But to my credit I've never worn one with an advertising logo, but used to wear retro 30's and 60's shirts bought from Toffs. Although after the XL crash, some supporters did produce an unofficial Bobby Moore Cancer Research shirt - after the club had reused to do so - and it didn't look too bad.

But fair play to both Barcelona and Aston Villa who both wear logos that either highlight international or local charities and see that there is life beyond greed.

Well did have that Dark/Navy Blue Kit when we wont at OT on the last day a few Years back..

HH, can i ask you a question, are you aware what were the Club's ( WHUFC i mean, not TI ) first ever Colours & if so or if not, could i interest you in one ?? :)