How to stop dogs cr"pping outside my gate?

james.d

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I feel sorry for you its so annoying dogs crapping next to your gate.

We had the same problem and my wife complained to the neighbours who lived opposite.

They said there dog never craps anywhere so i video taped it crapping then started piling it up next to there gate evertime it did.

They soon stopped. I also see signs on lamposts now saying dont let your dog crap in the streets.

...better than having an elephant do a dump outside your gate...dung beetles would be busy little chaps.

I sympathize with the OP. An old dog from my neighbourhood pooped in the yard and driveway and gate every morning at 5AM for years. Then I moved in one day, and tried to upset his routine. There were a lot of feral cats marking everything in the yard as well, 24 hours a day. It stunk. I repaired the gate several times, to no avail. One day he tried so hard to get into do his business, his head got stuck between the bars, and we had to pry him out to free him, after letting him think about it for a while. He didn't stop. I tried a lot of things, without much success. I caught and 'relocated' several problem toms 5 kms away, but couldn't catch the worst offenders. I found that water spraying seemed to get rid of the cats and dogs, so I raced outside for the sprinkler gun upon every meow or sight of a dog to get them to avoid the house. I was losing sleep, and the wife was frustrated beyond a healthy level that I could endure anymore. 

On my next flight home to Canada, I brought back one of these. Canadian Tire, about 1500 baht. It is a motion sensor water sprinkler, used for wildlife deterrence, using a 9V battery.  Upon detecting movement, it triggers for about 3 seconds, then resets and re-arms in 8 seconds. Connect it to a pressured garden hose, and you can set the sensitivity, and adjust the spray area. Since then there is not a poop to be seen in the yard or outside the gate ever since, and no cats come around anymore either. However, I do forget it is there once an a while, walk by, and get a cool shot myself. 

IMG_5297.jpg

Well I must admit we don't have that problem. there must be a reason they shit there constantly you can train a dog to shit in a certain space but I very much doubt the Thais around you have done this.So there has to be another reason is it only your gate?. have you upset the locals ?  reason I ask is it may not be the dogs themselfs shitting there.

Edited by Deepinthailand

I had same prob back in  UK, tried all sorts, an old woman told me just clean away then sprinkle washing powder in the area, keep doing it and eventually they stop crapping there... I tried it and after 2/3 weeks the dog crap stopped so that worked for me... and cost hardly anything with no animals hurt

On 09/12/2016 at 5:07 PM, fruitman said:

Just find the owner and bring it back to them.

I have several neighbours who just open the gate at night so the dog can do it's job at the neighbours gate. They have their favorit spots and never go far away.

They are hi-so people though, looking at their posessions. If they don't open the gate it will be all over the carport so they can't park there, the maid sprays it onto the street, right infront of the gate.....

I have cats crapping everywhere in my garden. Am building a robot to attack them, serious.

This note is not intended to hijack this thread.

Same problem here -the neighborhood cats think my yard is a sanctuary.. When you get the robot finished, please share the plans.

Now please return to the topic in progress.

You've heard of rubbing a dog's nose in its crap to stop the habit?  Well don't do that.  Find the owner and rub his nose in it.  That works.

Anti barking collars use citronella because dogs dislike the smell.  Thast's worth trying, natural product too.

3 hours ago, Gold Star said:

I sympathize with the OP. An old dog from my neighbourhood pooped in the yard and driveway and gate every morning at 5AM for years. Then I moved in one day, and tried to upset his routine. There were a lot of feral cats marking everything in the yard as well, 24 hours a day. It stunk. I repaired the gate several times, to no avail. One day he tried so hard to get into do his business, his head got stuck between the bars, and we had to pry him out to free him, after letting him think about it for a while. He didn't stop. I tried a lot of things, without much success. I caught and 'relocated' several problem toms 5 kms away, but couldn't catch the worst offenders. I found that water spraying seemed to get rid of the cats and dogs, so I raced outside for the sprinkler gun upon every meow or sight of a dog to get them to avoid the house. I was losing sleep, and the wife was frustrated beyond a healthy level that I could endure anymore. 

On my next flight home to Canada, I brought back one of these. Canadian Tire, about 1500 baht. It is a motion sensor water sprinkler, used for wildlife deterrence, using a 9V battery.  Upon detecting movement, it triggers for about 3 seconds, then resets and re-arms in 8 seconds. Connect it to a pressured garden hose, and you can set the sensitivity, and adjust the spray area. Since then there is not a poop to be seen in the yard or outside the gate ever since, and no cats come around anymore either. However, I do forget it is there once an a while, walk by, and get a cool shot myself. 

IMG_5297.jpg

Genius, pure genius - backs up my high pressure hose and you don't have to hold it.  Wish they sold them in Thailand, 

4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Genius, pure genius - backs up my high pressure hose and you don't have to hold it.  Wish they sold them in Thailand, 

Quick search on E-bay gave this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Animal-Repeller-Adjustable-Water-Spray-Sprinkler-Scarecrow-Sensor-Motion-Battery-/361395918849?hash=item5424e01801:g:goUAAOSw0HVWBQFU

I've ordered a lot of things on E-bay shipped to Thailand and never once had a problem with customs.

Cheers

Tiger's urine is the best you may get some from the Zoo I am not sure they will give you some if you tell them the reason.

Somehow domestic animals recognise the tiger's urine and they won't get near your front yard again.

I saw a cat sniff at the urine and all its hairs stood on end tail went straight, it gave a loud "meow' and ran off real quick.

20 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I feel sorry for you its so annoying dogs crapping next to your gate.

We had the same problem and my wife complained to the neighbours who lived opposite.

They said there dog never craps anywhere so i video taped it crapping then started piling it up next to there gate evertime it did.

They soon stopped. I also see signs on lamposts now saying dont let your dog crap in the streets.

I live in a relatively upscale gated moobaan.  I had a dog that crapped in my drive way for several days.  One day spot him doing his business, scooped the dog crap into a plastic bag, followed the dog home.  "This your dog?"  "Yes."  "Then this belongs to you." and handed him a bag full of dog crap.  Thai wife mortified and Farang husband indignant.  But it never happened again.

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

Vinegar, bleach or pepper.

If you know the owners, scoop it up and put it outside their gate........worked for me.

Bravo. I am surprised the owner of the dog did not complain to the police oblivious of the fact that his dog was responsible in the first place. Usually its a case of "I fought the law and the law won"

On 12/12/2016 at 6:33 AM, Gold Star said:

IMG_5297.jpg

@@@@in@ brilliant, i'm in tears here

This thread is comedy gold, can't remember the last time I laughed so much although I do have an over active sense of humour, anyway back to the problem,

How about buying some jars, put the dog crap in them and sell to a local chemist, you'll make a fortune.

A UK chemist put me onto this a long time ago, I had cracked and chapped lips and he advised me to rub dog crap on my lips, does that make them better I asked? No he said but it stops you licking them.