2017 Yamaha R1.....

JAFO

Tonight I happened by a small auto show at the Mall in Korat. As I walked around I saw the Yamaha moto section. They had the new R1 sitting there with my name on it...LOL. Of course making it harder to walk away was my wife saying, "If you like it,  you should buy it". The price tag was 890,000 baht. LOL!!

The R1 is an extremely high tech bike with tons of GP technology in it. Adjustable everything for the rider looking to dial it in. As I sat on the bike I was thinking about the R1 I had in the US. The 2005 limited anniversary special. I loved that bike and road it hard for almost 5 years before selling it as I wasn't riding it anymore as I was here in Thailand. It had factory Marchesini wheels, upside down front shocks, special paint etc. I could leave a  stop light and carry the front end easily through 3rd gear with a slight twist of the throttle. But here I am in Thailand with an R3. Hmmmm. But let me be honest, in the US many buy bikes because of marketing hype or to have the biggest HP moto available never really knowing what to do with it. Many never ride them very much to their potential. Back to my R3, while short on HP by likely 150HP (LOL) I am having more fun on it then I did my R1. Why? Because honestly here in Thailand there is simply no need for an R1. The R3 is a fun little deal for 180,000 baht which leaves me 710,000 baht to go buy something else I do not likely need like maybe a ATV quad deal. LOL!!

11 minutes ago, Still Living said:

My buddy had an R1 in the states. The thing is a track ready weapon. Way overkill even for the states! Sexy beast though. 

300 is perfect for Thailand. 650 for the States. Just my opinion. 

I absolutely agree. My R1 was a street legal track bike for all intents and purposes. I did 1 track day with it at Laguna Seca. The rest of the time I waited to find open stretches of street roads to spin it up. I could zing it to 140mph with virtually no effort. The brakes on the liter bikes are absolutely outstanding.

The 600 glass is a perfect bike for the states. Plenty of power, all the latest technology and they are making upward 150+ hp now which is still an overkill. My R3 is really a fun little bike. I always laugh when people see it and call it a big bike here. Its far from a big bike as we know it but as for fun, its blast for the cost. One other comment,, as I sat on the R1 at the mall I was reminded how heavy that thing is. I remembering having to muscle my R1 around in the mountains on skyline road from Saratoga to San Francisco and Coyote trail outside Napa to Clear lake. The R3 is easy to flip back and forth and I find after a day of riding I am as not even tired.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I absolutely agree. My R1 was a street legal track bike for all intents and purposes. I did 1 track day with it at Laguna Seca. The rest of the time I waited to find open stretches of street roads to spin it up. I could zing it to 140mph with virtually no effort. The brakes on the liter bikes are absolutely outstanding.

The 600 glass is a perfect bike for the states. Plenty of power, all the latest technology and they are making upward 150+ hp now which is still an overkill. My R3 is really a fun little bike. I always laugh when people see it and call it a big bike here. Its far from a big bike as we know it but as for fun, its blast for the cost. One other comment,, as I sat on the R1 at the mall I was reminded how heavy that thing is. I remembering having to muscle my R1 around in the mountains on skyline road from Saratoga to San Francisco and Coyote trail outside Napa to Clear lake. The R3 is easy to flip back and forth and I find after a day of riding I am as not even tired.

I was a new rider back when I was in the states but my old beat up 650 was plenty fast for me. Shocked I didn't get any tickets honestly haha. 

My dream bike now is the R3! Love the blue 2017. Funny to say that out of all bikes but I think it's perfect for the driving conditions here. Enough power for some fun but still makes a good light weight bike for the city. I laugh when I see guys riding ducatis in saigon and the damn thing never leaves 2nd gear. What a waste! 

Ok I'll stop rambling now so you can post some pics of that R3. ?

On 12/9/2016 at 7:55 PM, JAFO said:

The price tag was 890,000 baht. LOL!!

And here you are trying to convince everyone how much cheaper Thailand is than Cali in other threads lmao. 

Ive had a few R1's here in Thailand. Sold them all. It is not possible to ride a bike with that kind of speed on Thai Roads. Chickens, Dogs, other people being idiots. Its not even fun to white knuckle the throttle keeping ur head on a swivel looking out for all the other dangers. 

Im not even gonna mention service on the bike because I am going to assume you plan to take personal responsibility over that. 

Edit:

Yeah R3 probably better but not as much fun. 

Edited by Strange

7 hours ago, Still Living said:

I was a new rider back when I was in the states but my old beat up 650 was plenty fast for me. Shocked I didn't get any tickets honestly haha. 

My dream bike now is the R3! Love the blue 2017. Funny to say that out of all bikes but I think it's perfect for the driving conditions here. Enough power for some fun but still makes a good light weight bike for the city. I laugh when I see guys riding ducatis in saigon and the damn thing never leaves 2nd gear. What a waste! 

Ok I'll stop rambling now so you can post some pics of that R3. ?

Here are a few pics. I posted one in another thread. 5 of us went on a ride to Khao Yai area

20161126_080757_zps3n2afvqn.jpg

20161126_090555_zpsdduzmk8v.jpg

And no the little scooter that snuck in between us was part of the riding group.:smile:

11 hours ago, Still Living said:

My buddy had an R1 in the states. The thing is a track ready weapon. Way overkill even for the states! Sexy beast though. 

300 is perfect for Thailand. 650 for the States. Just my opinion. 

I don't quite agree with you on 300cc versys 650cc.

Much depends where you live I would say, if in the mountains, yes a good 300cc will be great fun.

I live in Pattaya and it's quite flat here so power is what get my juices flowing, so my 650cc is fun with (just) enough power but I rather not have less than that.

My 2cents

7 hours ago, Strange said:

And here you are trying to convince everyone how much cheaper Thailand is than Cali in other threads lmao. 

It is cheaper here to live here in Thailand by a bunch. I look at the R1 as luxury type toy like we look at the Aston Martin, Porsche and Ferrari in the US. You want to play, you got to pay for certain toys and those come at a premium. No different.

Ive had a few R1's here in Thailand. Sold them all. It is not possible to ride a bike with that kind of speed on Thai Roads. Chickens, Dogs, other people being idiots. Its not even fun to white knuckle the throttle keeping ur head on a swivel looking out for all the other dangers. 

The R1 as is any liter bike an overkill for Thailand IMHO. Of course a lot depends on where you are riding it. In the North and through the mountains they would still be a fun ride but a lot of work. Just not as user friendly. 

Im not even gonna mention service on the bike because I am going to assume you plan to take personal responsibility over that. 

I always service my own stuff. Did in the US as well. 

Yeah R3 probably better but not as much fun. 

I disagree. The R1 whether here or in the US isn't as much fun. In the US I never got to use the R1 nor my FZR750RR to anywhere near its potential. Sure those once in awhile blasts breaking 3 or 4 laws, risking having my insurance triple, paying outrageous speeding ticket fines and having to spend a weekend in traffic school were fun at the time I twisted the throttle, there are way too many cops and on "Any road USA" there are too many unknowns to go at speed. The insurance was already outrageous for something you ride sparingly. Only at the track was it fun because you weren't always driving defensively and worried in your mirror but that comes at an expense for track days and all the tech and safety check-ins.  Here in Thailand it is different in many cases. I find what makes the R3 more fun is because I am not overpowering the road and the situation and while Yes there are likely more road hazards then the US one thing extremely nice is I never worry about the police and the moto is very inexpensive fun:smile: 

14 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I don't quite agree with you on 300cc versys 650cc.

Much depends where you live I would say, if in the mountains, yes a good 300cc will be great fun.

I live in Pattaya and it's quite flat here so power is what get my juices flowing, so my 650cc is fun with (just) enough power but I rather not have less than that.

My 2cents

I concur Guzzi850m2. It does completely depend on where ones lives here or anywhere. I doubt I would enjoy the R3 as much in flat road city life but in the mountains it quite a fun lil moto. Its kind of like if you lived on a dirt road. I would never buy anything but an enduro type moto or at least a dual sport model and likely a 450cc to split the difference.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

It is cheaper here to live here in Thailand by a bunch. I look at the R1 as luxury type toy like we look at the Aston Martin, Porsche and Ferrari in the US. You want to play, you got to pay for certain toys and those come at a premium. No different.

The R1 as is any liter bike an overkill for Thailand IMHO. Of course a lot depends on where you are riding it. In the North and through the mountains they would still be a fun ride but a lot of work. Just not as user friendly. 

I always service my own stuff. Did in the US as well. 

I disagree. The R1 whether here or in the US isn't as much fun. In the US I never got to use the R1 nor my FZR750RR to anywhere near its potential. Sure those once in awhile blasts breaking 3 or 4 laws, risking having my insurance triple, paying outrageous speeding ticket fines and having to spend a weekend in traffic school were fun at the time I twisted the throttle, there are way too many cops and on "Any road USA" there are too many unknowns to go at speed. The insurance was already outrageous for something you ride sparingly. Only at the track was it fun because you weren't always driving defensively and worried in your mirror but that comes at an expense for track days and all the tech and safety check-ins.  Here in Thailand it is different in many cases. I find what makes the R3 more fun is because I am not overpowering the road and the situation and while Yes there are likely more road hazards then the US one thing extremely nice is I never worry about the police and the moto is very inexpensive fun:smile: 

Quoting someone I heard online - "it's more fun the ride a slow bike fast, then to ride a fast bike slow." I agree with that. 

Even my 650 never really got ridden hard. Sure I would get it up to 100mph+ on the high way at times. Accelerate fast from lights and quickly be doing 65 in a 35... But you can't be doing that all the time. Especially here with all the weird shit wandering into the roads. 

I have a 150 now and I enjoy ringing it's neck through all the gears. It covers my needs but it's a dog 2 up. I think I would be content with a 300. If you ride on highways then 650 for sure. 

Edited by Still Living
Spelling

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Im jerkin ur chain a bit man. You and me are into the same junk, and those hobbies are almost un-obtainable here, even with stupid money. I mean we can debate the semantics of cost, but there is no comparison to what you gave up hobby-wise in the US to here. The US is no doubt the cheapest place in the world to be a gear head and that statement is undeniable. In my 9 years here its been about "making it work" with a selection of stuff we could easily find at a Napa at home. In this context, there isn't another country that can compare to the US. An R1 aint a Ferrari but I get what your saying.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

R1 plenty fun lol. I get what your saying but nothing can compare to a high RPM throttle twist of a liter bike. 

I dunno, so many US roads where you can wind out a bike its incomparable but the end of the day its all about what makes a person happy. R1 or R3 or a scoopy. 

I had a crash on an R1 in Issan at night due to some idiot pick-up driver with no lights at all driving in the motorbike lane. Broke 2 fingers, wrist, shattered a collarbone, and herniated a disc. Totaled the bike. Road rash scars everywhere and I was wearing jeans, boots, jacket, and helmet. 2 days in private hospital getting casted, rocks scrubbed out of my legs, etc... Not a single painkiller to be had. Apparently you have to be dying. Went home, they missed the collarbone, went back, it was in 4 pieces. They don't do repair surgery in Thailand for this bone unless you go to the big BKK hospitals. "Let it heal on its own" they said. "Could take 1 year to heal", they said. 

I work offshore and chest x-rays are part of the medical. That would be me out of work "waiting" for 4 bone pieces to do something. Bumrungrad quoted me at around 250K++ for surgery. I ended up taking that 250K++ and flying my busted ass back to the states, picking up some obamacare, and having "Open Reduction Internal Fixation" with 14 screws and titanium plate through my collarbone & shoulder. 9 Weeks of not being able to use my right hand and 9 weeks of living with a shattered collarbone, without any pain relief until I saw a doctor at home. 

Now I'm not complaining, I rolled the dice, I paid the price, I'm all healed now. The point is, all that stuff you are knocking about the US, the cops, the insurance, traffic schools, tickets, etc... Thats all there to make sure idiots don't drive shitty pick-ups with lights that don't work in the bike lane. Insurance is there to make sure we can get patched up. Its all there for a reason and its a bitch when you never use it, but a lifesaver when you need it. 

Dont get complacent here cause it sounds like you are right on your way to it. Its still 3rd world no matter how good you feel about it. 

Oh yeah, Thai ambulance? Yeah, they are vultures on a carcass wanting money up front before you can get in the back. Shits unreal. 

Have fun man but don't forget where you are and what you gave up coming over here. Its not all about cost. 

4 hours ago, Strange said:

Im jerkin ur chain a bit man. You and me are into the same junk, and those hobbies are almost un-obtainable here, even with stupid money.

I know man, I get it.:smile: we have gone rounds on it and I agree that if I was still neck deep in those hobbies there is no way I could likely hang here but that is the key, I'm really not anymore. I am glad I did what I did in the states i'm just in a far different place now in life and feel fortunate with all the stupid risky shit I did, I survived.

I had a crash on an R1 in Issan at night due to some idiot pick-up driver with no lights at all driving in the motorbike lane.

Horrific crash you survived Strange.  I had a couple of friends die on rides we were on. One guy going to Vegas on the 15,  we both spun up our Moto's on this straight stretch, I had a FZR 750RR 0W01 Dave had a GSRX1100. At 125- 135mph you forget how much ground you are covering. I was out front as we went into a gentle corner at likely 100+  and it appears he drifted into the shoulder and likely hit some gravel and CYA. By the time I grabbed gears and brake, stopped and turned around and drove back he was dead. Took air support 55 minutes to get there. Sad shame. Had another on Skyline,  friend was flipping his Ninja 750 back and forth through tight turns, came up too high in a turn and ran head on into a car coming down the hill. Dead instantly. There were 6 of us on that ride.. Point is, it can happen anywhere at anytime on any moto no matter what CC.  Unfortunately the damage your body took will show up later. I have on and off aches now and again from wrecks I had racing. Like you I knew the risks but we never think it will happen to us.

Dont get complacent here cause it sounds like you are right on your way to it. Its still 3rd world no matter how good you feel about it. 

Meh I am cognizantly aware of what I am into here. I just spend more time adapting to the environment then complaining about it. I have found other hobbies to replace what I did in the states and that's fun. Like any hobby most get boring and we need new things to stimulate the mind. I am older now and still play but am on my toes a lot more when riding my R3. I did make a rule, I never ride at night here, no need. Really same in the states. Motos are what they are and most motorists in any country seldom look for them and night time exasperates this issue as the single headlight seems to blend with endless streetlights. I had so many close calls in the states with people cutting across 2 lanes as they just had to get to that <deleted> McDonalds or Taco Bell and damn near took me out, never looked, never saw me.  So at night here its my truck, no exceptions  As we age more common sense kicks in (at least for some anyways).

Have fun man but don't forget where you are and what you gave up coming over here. Its not all about cost. 

I agree on all your comments about ambulance, fire trucks, police and emergency services in the states. They are nice when you need them.  But again I am living a different, far more sedate life here now. I still have fun and hopefully I will not need services like those as I didn't in the US. 

14 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Meh I am cognizantly aware of what I am into here. I just spend more time adapting to the environment then complaining about it. I have found other hobbies to replace what I did in the states and that's fun. Like any hobby most get boring and we need new things to stimulate the mind. I am older now and still play but am on my toes a lot more when riding my R3. I did make a rule, I never ride at night here, no need. Really same in the states. Motos are what they are and most motorists in any country seldom look for them and night time exasperates this issue as the single headlight seems to blend with endless streetlights. I had so many close calls in the states with people cutting across 2 lanes as they just had to get to that <deleted> McDonalds or Taco Bell and damn near took me out, never looked, never saw me.  So at night here its my truck, no exceptions  As we age more common sense kicks in (at least for some anyways).

Wasn't trying to come off like I'm trying to "Teach" you something, its just Thai Roads are so F****in unpredictable. Hazards in every country and on every road but there is a ridiculous concentration of dangerous idiots here in Thailand. Its not really about adapting, as its impossible. Its too unpredictable. Only option is defensive driving and even that only shields you a little bit. 

Anyway I don't want to derail your thread with US stuff and rain on a perfectly good motorcycle topic. 

On 12/9/2016 at 7:55 PM, JAFO said:

The R3 is a fun little deal for 180,000 baht which leaves me 710,000 baht to go buy something else I do not likely need like maybe a ATV quad deal. LOL!!

There are a few Raptors around here, I almost bought one a while back from a Thai for like 280K 4 stroke. Thing was sick. Had 2 stroke units as a kid in Texas. Where would you ride your ATV? I thought about doing some tractor work and making some jumps and sand pits, but meh. Pang. 

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

Anyway I don't want to derail your thread with US stuff and rain on a perfectly good motorcycle topic. 

No worries man, its forum life, not offended

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

Where would you ride your ATV? I thought about doing some tractor work and making some jumps and sand pits, but meh. Pang

No idea on ATV. Silly buy for sure. Wife said I am nuts. I just laughed and said....You married me...

I went back today and took some pics for fun

20161211_123454_zps6ths5mbt.jpg

20161211_123519_zpscnq0mvyk.jpg

R1

20161211_123322_zpsrh1lzits.jpg

20161211_123345_zpsdvrobqwx.jpg

New BMW. Funny how they are using RR for their motos as well. That is one of the most overused letter for motos yet it sells them

20161211_123634_zpsoxf4cmus.jpg

CBR 500. This actually looked like a fun little bike except the colors were horrific. 

20161211_123432_zpsb5awgijn.jpg

ATV. 4x4 500cc. Drive train looked Honda but couldn't see any names. Could be fun to dick around in the local mountains and rivers. My wife actually thought it would be fun too. If people are interested it will fit in the back of a truck. Cost was 280K baht. I walked away and went and saw Underworld Blood Wars movie LOL.

Edited by JAFO

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

ATV. 4x4 500cc. Drive train looked Honda but couldn't see any names. Could be fun to dick around in the local mountains and rivers. My wife actually thought it would be fun too. I will fit in the back of my truck. Cost was 280K baht. I walked away and went and saw Underworld Blood Wars movie LOL.

Chinese Knock-off no doubt. 

https://thai.alibaba.com/product-detail/500cc-4x4-atv-for-sale-316210586.html

http://www.kaxamotos.com/products.asp?bigtype_id=123

Would be fun but for a limited time only lol

That R1 looks awesome.....

The CB 500's are good bikes if you wring their necks and thrash em but still not as much fun as the R3, I am back in the UK and now on a Fazer 800 but still miss the R3 and look forward to holidays where I get to thrash it on lawless roads, completely get what you are saying about riding these smaller, lighter, slower bikes fast

23 hours ago, Strange said:

aid the price, I'm all healed now. The point is, all that stuff you are knocking about the US, the cops, the insurance, traffic schools, tickets, etc... Thats all there to make sure idiots don't drive shitty pick-ups with lights that don't work in the bike lane. Insurance is there to make sure we can get patched up. Its all there for a reason and its a bitch when you never use it, but a lifesaver when you need it. 

Personally I think bigger bikes are better all round bikes in Thailand, and I say that with over 30,000 kms on sub 150cc bikes, 20,000 kms on a Ninja 250R, 23,000 kms on a GSXR600 and 13,000 kms on a 899 Panigale over the last 10 years here in LOS. 

The only thing smaller bikes are better for is Bangkok rush hour traffic, and I'm talking about sub-20 kph speeds. Apart from that, bigger bikes are the better choice, more stable at speed, better brakes etc. They have the power to accelerate out of trouble in any gear and have a bigger presence on the road so they tend to get more respect from the locals. You can ride a big bike as slow as you want, but you can't make a smaller cc bike go as fast as you want.

Of course, if someone has the mentality of a 14 year old and needs to ride a 260 kph bike at 260 kph everywhere, or can't trust themselves to ride within their limits and according to the conditions then yes, a 50cc moped might be more appropriate. For everyone else, a modern bigger bike is a better option (although the latest R1 is probably the last litre bike I would buy for the road, an S1000RR or CBR1000RR would probably be better all rounders). 

Even though it's much less likely, I would MUCH prefer someone pulled out on me at 80 kph on my Panigale (big Pirelli SuperCorsa tyres, Brembo brakes, very good ABS system) than on my Ninja or worse, my scooter. They're just safer, and the only argument to counter that generally involves people who say they can't trust themselves to ride a big bike at an appropriate speed like that's some kind of badge of honour.

^

I don't think it's about trust yourself to ride at a slower speed ,,,for me it's more about the riding position on sports bikes just encourages you to go faster....it's getting a sportbike for the road that pushed me and got me addicted to trackdays.

Had a Daytona 675 for 2 months on the road and the only time I was comfortable on it was when I was  arms parallel with the ground and tucked in behind the screen,, riding a sports bike with arms upright and trying to sit upright is just pure uncomfortable....and you look like a dick in the crouched up race position that sports bike automatically throw you into riding around at low speeds,  changed to a cbr600rr which is a lot more comfortable for the road but it still just became a trackbike for me and prefer bikes more upright position for road riding.

Bigger engines are fine on more naked bikes versys ,z1000,supermotos etc etc,but for me the sports bike are much more suited to and more enjoyable on track riding.

33 minutes ago, taninthai said:

^

I don't think it's about trust yourself to ride at a slower speed ,,,for me it's more about the riding position on sports bikes just encourages you to go faster....it's getting a sportbike for the road that pushed me and got me addicted to trackdays.

Had a Daytona 675 for 2 months on the road and the only time I was comfortable on it was when I was  arms parallel with the ground and tucked in behind the screen,, riding a sports bike with arms upright and trying to sit upright is just pure uncomfortable....and you look like a dick in the crouched up race position that sports bike automatically throw you into riding around at low speeds,  changed to a cbr600rr which is a lot more comfortable for the road but it still just became a trackbike for me and prefer bikes more upright position for road riding.

Bigger engines are fine on more naked bikes versys ,z1000,supermotos etc etc,but for me the sports bike are much more suited to and more enjoyable on track riding.

My point was really about big bikes being safer than small bikes (as opposed to sports bike vs. naked). There are loads of "big", powerful naked sportsbikes available now if that's what you like, I'm looking at an MT09 myself.

In the city I'd agree, naked/more upright bikes are more comfortable even if you do use your core body strength instead of putting all your weight on wrists on a sportsbike. But once you get up to a bit of speed on a sportsbike the air resistance takes all the weight off the arms and shoulders and you get the benefits of the fairing/screen. Conversely, naked bikes get a bit painful on the neck/torso on longer rides. I'd much rather do BKK - Chiang Mai on a sportsbike than a naked, and I also do track days so obviously the sportier riding position is more beneficial there as well.

Each has their own merits, but as I said any modern big bike (naked/tourer/sports) will be more stable, more noticeable, quicker to accelerate and quicker to stop than a small bike. For me, the idea that anything over 500cc is "too much bike" for Thailand is simply not true.

Agree with you jonneyf...but this quote from your post

" But once you get up to a bit of speed on a sportsbike the air resistance takes all the weight off the arms and shoulders and you get the benefits of the fairing/screen"

Is spot on to what I'm talking about,it's not the trusting in yourself not to ride fast ,it's the position to get comfortable on them makes you ride them a little faster than you may on other bikes....I still love them though:)

Not sure i get  these small sportsbikes really ?...all the pain/ dis-comfort of a big sportbike without any excitment ? .... not forgetting if you look under the shiny plastics of these bikes...they're really built to budget...with steel frames, swingarms, crappy looking forks.....if blatting around backroads is your thing , a crf250m or klx250 is way to go ??...and alot easier on the wrists when around town..

1 hour ago, William Osborne said:

Not sure i get  these small sportsbikes really ?...all the pain/ dis-comfort of a big sportbike without any excitment ? .... not forgetting if you look under the shiny plastics of these bikes...they're really built to budget...with steel frames, swingarms, crappy looking forks.....if blatting around backroads is your thing , a crf250m or klx250 is way to go ??...and alot easier on the wrists when around town..

So true ..I was on my crf 250l with nobbly tires on and mate on a cbr500rr couldn't keep up on the tight twisty mountain roads.impossible to find one bike that is perfect for all situations.

2 hours ago, William Osborne said:

Good point! A mid sized dual sport would be great for south east Asia. Tall upright riding position for city riding and you can take it onto the dirt! Tear up flooded roads and pot holes no problem! Shame they don't sell them where I am currently.