Meet the Khao San Phad Thai seller from London speaking Lao!

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

foreigner speaks thai, is this really newsworthy? 

in fact she has been working here for many years, i used to see her and her cart on soi rambutri all the time

It's newsworthy to the locals, because it's something they don't see often . Do you remember a few (?) years back a couple of kids, Jonas Anderson & Christy Gibson, who made names for themselves singing Isaan songs? I don't remember which province they were from. Christy became a stunningly beautiful woman when she grew up. Saw her on that Saturday night show, Dalaad Sot Something or Other, the name of that Army cavalry camp just down the street from Victory Monument. She gave the women an interview and then acted as translator for some Italian guy who sells pasta or something.

11 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

nice storey, but im wondering how she can do that legaly ,as in work permit ? or is she a thai citizen?

She's married to a Thai guy, so it's pretty much a shoe-in to citizenship. 

Us guys married to native Thai women -- we're tourists.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Also the reason most Thai look so weak and don't have much energy is because they don't eat enough meat. If they had more nice meat for sale the men would be stronger, have more energy and even win more medals on the olympics.

I've also been eating from thai restaurants only, every day for many years but i missed nice meat and good vegy. The only way to get that is eating in Sizzlers or cook yourself.

There is kebab in BKK but it's chickenkebab, i don't like that. Also they don't know how to make nice sauce with it. I eat more than enough chicken in Thailand.

Also i like to eat Subway sandwiches but they never speak proper english so many times i'm not in the mood to go order from them.

Again if more foreigners worked here standards would increase and also profit the Thai.

Bugger me,after 2 negative post,why are you even here and who needs Thai in Subway,can't you just point.What do you like?

Too many people don't read the article before posting. If she is married to a Thai she doesn't need a WP.

And for all you chefs talking about Chinese food, there are several different styles of Chinese food in China. In the UK some of the Indian restaurants claim their own dishes of Indian (Pakistani/Bangladeshi) food invented in the UK.

:shock1:

7 hours ago, mike324 said:

Well Thailand didn't exactly have the good cows and pigs to begin with for those complaining about meat. They are more into chicken and fish. So good beef and pork costs more. Same for veggies, good veggies tend to come from cooler climates, not something Thailand has as well.

You don't go to subway just because they don't speak proper English, you do know that you are in Thailand? You complaint is quite silly.

For standards to increase, the government needs to crack down on cleanliness like in the west, where restaurants are given scores and shut down if it does not pass hygienic standards. Its that simple, but not something Thailand is capable of yet. Having more foreigner chefs /workers/owners don't make much of a difference as a whole as its still a very small percentage of the restaurants.

I never get crook from eating street food,amazing sometimes when you see plates washed in cold water in the gutter or very near the toilet.Really,how many of us actually get food poisoning here.Leave out seafood,which can be a bit iffy anywhere.

14 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Too many people don't read the article before posting. If she is married to a Thai she doesn't need a WP.

And for all you chefs talking about Chinese food, there are several different styles of Chinese food in China. In the UK some of the Indian restaurants claim their own dishes of Indian (Pakistani/Bangladeshi) food invented in the UK.

:shock1:

Really?? 

So farang lady married to Thai can work as a teacher or whatever??

No work permit?

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

n don't care about her workpermit, i just like it.

In Europe we have vietnamese lumpia-vendors everywhere, also chinese restaurants on every street, middle-east kebab on every street and so on...i like it, so boring to eat the same food every day again and i'm not a big fan of Thai food anyway...Wished there was more foreign food for sale on the streets made by locals from those places..i don't need sushi made by a Thai.

And she could have taken thai nationality being the thai language examination the main point to pass.

In that way It becomes very easy to open a shop for her paying a little tax.

Yes a variety of food vendors from different countries like In Europe would be better but then thai gov. should change laws and facilitate more this kind of small business for foreigners.

11 hours ago, fruitman said:

At Kao Sarn road i've seen the kebab vendors who are Thai. That doesn't look like kebab at all which is too bad because i love to eat it.

In Singapore they have real kebab shops, many foreigners hanging around there spending much money on beer as well.

Really Thailand would be better off with more farangs selling food/services. It would increase standards and attract more tourists.

Yesterday i saw a group of farang backpackers playing guitar on a walkingbridge and collecting money, that should be stopped imo.

I wished BKK had good chinese take-away restaurants like in Europe. Or more good foodcourts like in Central Chidlom. Not everybody likes to eat streetfood from a filthy streetcart.

There are a few Chinese restaurants by Chinese in ABAC BangNa where I live. There a few others in BKK which I know of as well. I guess you have to search harder for it.

And yes in Singapore we have Kebabs by Arabs that I know of and the ones in Thai really cannot be compared.

My wife loves the Foodcourts in Singapore. She is so impressed and so spoilt for choice compared to what they have here in Thailand.

Edited by Moonmoon

Sad fact is that there are far too many nosey interfering posters on tv.

What if she has a work permit, what if she doesnt have 1.

Her business not anybody elses, let her get on with her life and others get on with theirs.

That I'm afraid would be impossible Colin. The mindset of many a fully fledged member would and could not adhere to such effrontery showing empathy if one cares to break golden rules on - WP - Overstay and so on or with anything that should invoke compassion. Because, for them it's a serious offence and deserves the severest of consequences. It's never changed in Thaivisa and never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

,    Farangs,   including this  lady  can be Thai immigrants, with an  ID  card.  Never  a

Thai  citizen unless  you  are  born  in  Thailand.  I have   a  Thai.. Chinese  brother in law

who  has  lived in Thailand  for  over  50  years,  but  he  was  born  in  China,  so  he

has  a Thai passport,  and ID  card  that  he has to renew  every year,  so  he

is  only the equivalent of  being  an immigrant.  Dam   sad   really,  in  this

LO  country,  that  is  what  I  think  anyway

Geezer

28 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

,    Farangs,   including this  lady  can be Thai immigrants, with an  ID  card.  Never  a

Thai  citizen unless  you  are  born  in  Thailand.  I have   a  Thai.. Chinese  brother in law

who  has  lived in Thailand  for  over  50  years,  but  he  was  born  in  China,  so  he

has  a Thai passport,  and ID  card  that  he has to renew  every year,  so  he

is  only the equivalent of  being  an immigrant.  Dam   sad   really,  in  this

LO  country,  that  is  what  I  think  anyway

Geezer

Try a search on TV "becoming a thai citizen" or "guide to thai citizenship" and it appears that you are completely wrong. If you meet the requirements (and have a desire) you can become a Thai citizen.

19 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

It's nice to see a foreigner that can speak Thai especially sins I have friends that has been living here for 15-20 years and basically they can't even order a beer in Thai!

I'm one of them. 40 years living in Thailand and not speaking a word of the language.

Not for lack of trying, just don't register.

So was the journalist of the Bangkok Post "Nightowl " Bernhard Trink. Lives here since 1962.

Danish Dr. Ammundsen from Childrens Hospital in Convent Road, and living here since 1946, did not speak Thai after living here for 48 years.

There are many more of them.

Well...now that she is getting all this publicity the relevant authorities probably will come around sooner or later and want to know if she does have the correct immigration status and the work permit "question"???..... and the taxes on revenues to be paid and the small business license and the hygiene approval...  and, and, and ...while supposedly a foreigner is not even supposed to be doing a job that a Thai person is supposed to be doing.

You Know...the rules and regulations and the laws.

Not that I care in the least...but just saying .

Cheers

6 minutes ago, bandito said:

I'm one of them. 40 years living in Thailand and not speaking a word of the language.

Not for lack of trying, just don't register.

So was the journalist of the Bangkok Post "Nightowl " Bernhard Trink. Lives here since 1962.

Danish Dr. Ammundsen from Childrens Hospital in Convent Road, and living here since 1946, did not speak Thai after living here for 48 years.

There are many more of them.

Your right...naturally there are far more that do not speak than those that do speak.......

Meantime, those that do learn to speak will confirm that it really helps to makes things go much smoother when you do learn to speak Thai language while yes it does take a considerable amount of effort to learn the language.

Most struggle a lot trying to learn the language.

Some aspects are simple but all too often certain aspects of the Thai language make it seemingly difficult to learn and a high percentage of people just give up on it and decide to get by while not learning and they do well enough....but certainly there are all too many times that they struggle with numerous issues from lack of communication and misunderstandings.

Plus you will always be at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Anyhow, better to learn of course and from a mans point of view, the best thing to do if you want to meet Thai women.....lol

Cheers

55 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Living in Bangkok one can get by without learning Thai, but in many parts of Issan life would be difficult unless one can communicate in the local language. 

Exactly, and if you shop in the EM-quatier/Central Chidlom or other foreign-based malls you can easy live without learning Thai. It also helps if you marry a girl from an educated family who can speak english.

But i would think that Thai coming to BKK to make a career all have to learn english first, they have so much more chance of getting a decent job if can spea inlit... Also the big malls should only hire staff who can speak it. 

Isn't it strange that the designer-shops for expensive purses can speak english while the policemen outside the shop can't? What if the new purse gets stolen from the Singaporese tourist who bought herself one?

2 hours ago, gemguy said:

Your right...naturally there are far more that do not speak than those that do speak.......

Meantime, those that do learn to speak will confirm that it really helps to makes things go much smoother when you do learn to speak Thai language while yes it does take a considerable amount of effort to learn the language.

Most struggle a lot trying to learn the language.

Some aspects are simple but all too often certain aspects of the Thai language make it seemingly difficult to learn and a high percentage of people just give up on it and decide to get by while not learning and they do well enough....but certainly there are all too many times that they struggle with numerous issues from lack of communication and misunderstandings.

Plus you will always be at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Anyhow, better to learn of course and from a mans point of view, the best thing to do if you want to meet Thai women.....lol

Cheers

thai is very easy  just  learn only ; i   come here  in 2009 and i was 19 y now 27 and can speak thai  just learn by myself, listen music,  tv , try to speak with  people and now i can  speak :) 

11 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I never get crook from eating street food,amazing sometimes when you see Really,how many of us actually get food poisoning here.

Last time I was in Bumrungrad ER with food poisoning, I had the company of about 10 other food poisoned farangs. Un-poisoning farangs is big business for them. 

My daughter and 3 of her friends visited in March. 3 of 4 got food poisoning. 

Our 3 kids visited last year. 2 of the 3 got food poisoning. 

Even my Thai wife gets food poisoning EVERY time we do our annual trek from the US to Thailand. Live here full time and you apparently build up immunity, but visitors are routinely made ill by food in Thailand. 

Edited by ftpjtm

2 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Living in Bangkok one can get by without learning Thai, but in many parts of Issan life would be difficult unless one can communicate in the local language. 

Which is one of the reasons some of us want no part of Issan life. 

On 12/11/2016 at 8:14 PM, sirmud63 said:

nice storey, but im wondering how she can do that legaly ,as in work permit ? or is she a thai citizen?

She's obviously a Thai citizen. Because like many thai vendors you can tell she has no clue as to cleanliness whatsoever - no hair net, no apron.

Hands in manure one day, mixing up the ingredients for your dinner the next ! 

Edited by Time Traveller

On 12/12/2016 at 1:43 PM, fruitman said:

At Kao Sarn road i've seen the kebab vendors who are Thai. That doesn't look like kebab at all which is too bad because i love to eat it.

In Singapore they have real kebab shops, many foreigners hanging around there spending much money on beer as well.

Really Thailand would be better off with more farangs selling food/services. It would increase standards and attract more tourists.

Yesterday i saw a group of farang backpackers playing guitar on a walkingbridge and collecting money, that should be stopped imo.

I wished BKK had good chinese take-away restaurants like in Europe. Or more good foodcourts like in Central Chidlom. Not everybody likes to eat streetfood from a filthy streetcart.

How many foreigners are gonna come here and make food for 300 baht per day? Anyway, foreigners selling food here are more or less all fighting for the same small percent of tourist dollars, b/c most Thais don't eat western food unless it was made by a fast food chain, and they're certainly not going to eat Thai food made by a foreigner unless it's for a laugh.

Btw, I think I've tried this woman's pad Thai and it's the pits, just like all the street food on Khao San Rd.

Edited by eldragon

On 12/12/2016 at 0:14 PM, colinneil said:

Sad fact is that there are far too many nosey interfering posters on tv.

What if she has a work permit, what if she doesnt have 1.

Her business not anybody elses, let her get on with her life and others get on with theirs.

The work permit issue is a matter of discretion. Certainly there are loads of foreigners here making undocumented money, but you can't really stand on the street with white skin and pretend to have a work permit. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend whatever she's doing (if she is doing it without a work permit) is going to lead to the latest, greatest crackdown, but on general common sense I'd say leave the street food to the Thais and other brown locals.

On 12/12/2016 at 4:59 PM, fruitman said:

It's not about having good quality meat or not, it's about know how to make it nice! The kebabsellers use all kinds of meat (and even lie about that) and nobody tastes the difference. IT's about using herbs and grinding it well, just like saucage actually.

Subway has to ask many questions what the customer wants, very frustrating if they can't speak a word english. That's why the Subway at Impact Muang Thong is gone now, there are plenty foreigners there who would like a sandwich.

You might think it's silly, i think it's silly to come to BKK for a job at Macdonalds when you even don't know what 3 hamburgers means...and that happens  in Thailand only. 

Well you are trying to stuff your western cooking style down the Thai way and complain about Thai cooking style not being good?

Subway closed down could be due to rent or simply they are not making enough money to cover fix cost. The franchise owner could be inexperience hence it closed down too. Yet you think its because its language?

This is Thailand, if you don't like Thais not being able to speak English, perhaps this is the wrong place for you to be, you would really be happier living in Singapore or Malaysia.

Edited by mike324