Old Man Living @ Phone Booth 7-11 Help Please!

LindsayBKK

There is an old man sleeping outside Century The Movie Plaza Soi Rang Nam & been there for 1 week. Why isn't somebody helping him? If he was dead would anybody notice? Any suggestions? I can't keep walking by him everyday.

:o Remarkable lack of concern 'yeah, I saw him......bottle of beer...' I don't blame you, I tried to help out a man who was homeless and sleeping on our soi, he didn't even have a phone box to sleep in. I got him some of those things out of the cabinet in the 7-11 (?dumplings) and some water. I dont speak enough Thai to understand what he was saying but somewhere in the yelling I imagine was F.off and leave me alone. He died about 10 days after he moved in. Sad when people fall through the cracks, I don't begin to know the answer :D

My brother is a homeless can collector. He graduated with a degree in Finance. It's his life. Maybe this guy wants to be there. If he doesn't want to be there he probably could escape or would let someone help him. He may just be in his own world. Everyone would like my brother to do something different with his life but he choses to do what he does. You can always invite him to live with you. Would anyone be so altruistic?

Here where I'm staying at, Wireless rd. near the Phloen chit BTS, I've seen this white guy who seems to be homeless. A while ago he asked me for a cigarette, as he saw me taking one Cig out of my pack. Now I keep on seeing this same lad collecting trash near the Boat pier and walking around from time to time.

there used to be a really old man who was homeless in the banglamphu area (samsen soi 6 or so). he would dress up every day in the same clothes (a disheveled suit) and carry an old briefcase. it was so sad in the land of people who believe they should take care of their older relatives to see him wandering around... the thais ignored him. i bought him gai yang a couple of times, and watched him quite a bit. he didn't seem to be alcoholic, i think his family must just all be dead or something. poor man, i wonder if he is still there.

aujuba does your brother have a mental disorder? is he just lazy? anti-establishment?

Edited by girlx

I'd guess a lot of the older people out there drifting around in the alleys who aren't alcoholics have some mental condition. My brother is a bit wacky at times. If you bought that old guy a new suit and gave him some dinero he would still be wandering around doing what he does tomorrow. Once your are on the outside of society it is hard to come back and be 'normal' again. We are all lost souls in one way or another to someone else. If you live in LOS a lot of people from your home country probably will think that you are different. They may think you are an 'adventurer' or 'worldly' which would be positive but many think you are here for the girls or drugs or because you just can't deal with or make it back in 'the real world.'

There is an old man sleeping outside Century The Movie Plaza Soi Rang Nam & been there for 1 week. Why isn't somebody helping him? If he was dead would anybody notice? Any suggestions? I can't keep walking by him everyday.

Perhaps you could put together a "care" package for the poor guy. Some food, toiletries, clothing, and sandals might help him along. Perhaps he is under the grips of alcoholism and a monetary contribution to him would be spent in an unhealthy way.

Arrange the items in a box or bag, present it to or near him with a wai and a sawat dee khun paw.....to show him some respect, and perhaps restore some dignity.

I hope things get better for him.

Eric