Romania: Left scores huge election comeback

webfact

Romania: Left scores huge election comeback

606x341_352191.jpg

What a difference a year makes!

BUCHAREST: -- Romania’s leftist Social Democrats (PSD) have won Sunday’s parliamentary election, with over 45 percent of the vote.

Promises of more money in people’s pockets paid off – reviving the fortunes of a party that was driven from office just over 12 months ago by anti-corruption protesters.

Its leader Liviu Dragnea, 54, now naturally wants to be prime minister. The problem is that he was convicted of electoral fraud earlier this year and given a two-year suspended jail term.

And despite Dragnea proclaiming his readiness to serve – ‘I am not playing when it comes to this vote’ he told reporters – Romanian President Klaus Iohannis, a liberal, has said he won’t accept any candidate with a criminal past.

Five takeaways from Romania's parliamentary election

Official results on Monday showed the PSD party won more than 45 percent of the vote and its junior ally ALDE took around 6 percent, securing a combined outright majority.

The PSD were forced from power in November 2015 amid public anger over a deadly fire in a nightclub that lacked emergency exits and safety permits.

Protests over corruption and politicians’ failure to stamp out abuses multiplied.

For the past year, the country has been run by a technocrat government of experts who have succeeded in accelerating anti-corruption reforms, drawing praise from Brussels.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-13

The sad and massive flaw with democracy is that people will vote for whoever promises them the most for doing the least. I think there should be qualifications required for casting a vote, like having a job working for a living. The career parasites should have no say in who leads the country !

14 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The sad and massive flaw with democracy is that people will vote for whoever promises them the most for doing the least. I think there should be qualifications required for casting a vote, like having a job working for a living. The career parasites should have no say in who leads the country !

And a requirement that anybody caught in a corruption scandal is barred for life from politics.  And has to pay back 2x what they took! LOL

Just now, i claudius said:

Is there anyone left in Romania? i thought they were all in the UK claiming benefits or selling the big issue ?

LOL.  I'm just back from a few weeks driving around the country.  Beautiful place with lovely people.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Promises of more money in people’s pockets paid off – reviving the fortunes of a party that was driven from office just over 12 months ago by anti-corruption protesters.

Its leader Liviu Dragnea, 54, now naturally wants to be prime minister. The problem is that he was convicted of electoral fraud earlier this year and given a two-year suspended jail term.

Ah yes a classic example of the desperation of voters looking for honesty and integrity. Sorry folks that train has left the station. All your getting is old recycled BS. A convicted criminal (most politicians are unconvicted criminals) wants to be Prime Minister. What level are we sinking to.