Tourists flooding into Thailand - some islands "twice as much as last year"

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Bullie said:

Well.... I live in Trat, a regular stop-over for people on their way to Koh Chang, and I must admit that the number of tourists has doubled recently!

Yesterday, for instance, I counted at least 4 in the most popular guesthouse in our fair city.

...4...!!!!! surely not

45 minutes ago, rawaimike said:

Although I do not live in Phuket at the moment, all my friends that are still hanging in  there tell me very quiet, much worse than last year.

Quiet is worse on a tropical beach holiday?

I guess I'm getting old...

5 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

...well it certainly won't be the Brits with their devalued £ sterling:coffee1:

Brexit hasn't bankrupted the U.K. The reason there are no tourists is because of the headline news about many negative stories that have happened in Thailand over the past 5 years even 10 years. The media jumps on every negative story and catapults it into millions of peoples living rooms back home. I know cause friends and relatives know more about whats happening in Thailand than I do. The tabloids love Thailand frontpage sensations. This is why no one comes much now and goes to Vietnam instead. How many negative stories do you hear of Vietnam? I can't think of one.

Regardless Of the Brexit fiasco.......GBP down from 53 to now 44 ish make thailand more expensive

it aint a cheap holiday here now and certainly not going to help!

Not a huge Deal. Tourists down grade hotels etc.. Cheaper hotels sure beats the hell out of a European winter!!!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Im in Phuket and there is no way one could say its a big season so far.

I went in to Patong from the north last night and there was no bank up of traffic as is common at Kalim.

No bar was packed.

A friend who has a normally busy pub said he had his quietest week in 4 years just 3 weeks back..

5 hours ago, Lingba said:

This article is a joke right?...I have to laugh....They come out with all this warped BS...and for What reason?...at the end of the day, the real numbers come in and the numbers don't lie...Not like the TAT...Who are they kidding and why?

The worst thing in a crisis is the locals stopping spending money...that's why they act like nothing is happening.

If all locals saw a crisis coming they would save up money for harsh times which can speedup the process of becoming in a real crisis.

The motoexpo sold much less new cars than last year, immediatly they said it will be back to normal next year....that's another clear sign of a crisis around the corner....but they always try to wave any bad news away....(more countries use this trick though).

So they are kidding all Thai, if they stop spending there will be a crisis for sure and very soon....If you want to buy something big than better wait for the crisis to come first, saves you a lot of money when it's half price.

2  x  0 = ?

Is  that the consensus?

Fact is  that due  to  global  downturn in tourism any increase on those  arriving  in Thailand  is a plus.

But if they  avoid the  places  such as the like of  which so many of the  negative  minded bent expat authorative  forks  abide in where is the  surprise?

No  surprise  to  me.

Who wants  some  drunken  bar stool authority or  a bitter  minded  financially  limited expat  to  corner them and expand at will on their  supremely negative assumed knowledge  about  all  that is  Thailand when as  tourists they  come  as  "holiday" seekers.

How  many  have ever considered that the  gloss may b lost  on the  shiney  venues  of  previos  heydays?

Thailand  actually  can and  does  offer  more to tourists  than a seat  at the bar  you   prefer.

Which  could be interprteted as meaning  that after a retreat  from insignificance into Thailand  there are those  who   find they remain  so  in Thailand.

5 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Its the Malaysian's with their devalued Ringgit filling the islands hotels and beach bungalows.

I know this is being a bit pedantic, if you choose to ignore me I will understand

The Ringgit has not been devalued, that can only be done via an official mechanism within the exchange rate system or some such term

The Ringgit is now worth less, has loss value, when exchanged for other currencies, this is because of market forces, and various economic problems

This situation could be reversed in the future, as the Ringgit is not tied to any other currency, its allowed to float

Apart from this boring factual information, the truth is that Malaysians are there for the cheap / cheaper beer and a bit of pleasant company

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

2  x  0 = ?

Is  that the consensus?

Fact is  that due  to  global  downturn in tourism any increase on those  arriving  in Thailand  is a plus.

But if they  avoid the  places  such as the like of  which so many of the  negative  minded bent expat authorative  forks  abide in where is the  surprise?

No  surprise  to  me.

Who wants  some  drunken  bar stool authority or  a bitter  minded  financially  limited expat  to  corner them and expand at will on their  supremely negative assumed knowledge  about  all  that is  Thailand when as  tourists they  come  as  "holiday" seekers.

How  many  have ever considered that the  gloss may b lost  on the  shiney  venues  of  previos  heydays?

Thailand  actually  can and  does  offer  more to tourists  than a seat  at the bar  you   prefer.

Which  could be interprteted as meaning  that after a retreat  from insignificance into Thailand  there are those  who   find they remain  so  in Thailand.

I dont fancy sitting next to you on a 12 hour non stop flight

Hopefully you feel better now