Tourists flooding into Thailand - some islands "twice as much as last year"

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arrived in Suvanabhumi one evening last week. Very busy, 25 minutes for immigration, 30 minutes in the line for a taxi  :shock1:  Must have been over 300 people waiting (total for both lines), longest I have ever waited for a taxi by far. Departing earlier in the week and the airport staff were stopping people getting on the escalators up to security screening,  only allowing twenty people at a time to prevent overcrowding. Fifty minutes before I cleared immigration. All about the times you arrive and depart.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

You quit picking on Ms. Kobkorn the dear lady. Sometimes she does get the vapors. 

Getting the vapors.  Is that anything like blowing dope?

She must have some good weed to publish these numbers.  2X.  Ho Ho Ho.  That's not Santa laughing on them...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In the far south in Satun province the head of the Tarutao National Park said that this year there had been 20,000 visitors both Thai and foreign tourists since October 15th.

That's 300 tourists a day. Most large hotels have more guests than that!

1 hour ago, cms22 said:

"asked visitors to protect the environment and keep it pristine and beautiful for others who would come after them"

Yep, leave it clean so the Thais can really mess it up.

So so true. Here at nai harn beach on phuket the thais sit under the trees eating their food and drink beer go home and just leave it scattered around. 

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Interesting, a search on Agoda for vacancies in Koh Chang from 18th - 28th December shows around 100 hotels etc with rooms available for that whole period!

Yes and based on the figures stated they must have been at least half full last year. Of course we all believe the propaganda   offical reports.

5 minutes ago, helloagain said:

So so true. Here at nai harn beach on phuket the thais sit under the trees eating their food and drink beer go home and just leave it scattered around. 

Yes, very thoughtful are Thais as they leave the stuff for the rubbish bin scavengers to pick up and sell at the recycling plants.

4 minutes ago, starfarm said:

I have just spend a few days at Koh Samet. Very few people there!!

Must be a different Koh Samet than the one i know as its just been a long weekend and the place has been heaving.

People walking around looking for rooms as there was a shortage.

Having checked Hotels.com website, 18 hotels do not have rooms for the whole period 15th - 22nd December, while 36 do. Of the 36 some have discounts of over 40%.

If Koh Lipe is the jewel in the crown of Thailand's tourist industry it does not bode well for the others.

There I go being subversive again !

Well, it is obvious to me and many other posters on here that tourist numbers are down. It is not difficult to see the lack of people in the usual hot spots for tourists. I hear nothing but complaints from locals who simply say "business is bad". 

Until Thailand realise that the world is becoming more accessible to everyone and that you have to work to win the tourists they will continue to see declines. There are many reasons for this, they have been done to death on this forum so no need to start creating another boring list.

The simple fact is that other Asean countries are growing and Thailand is not. I also don't believe the growth numbers I see for the economy. I just see nothing but bad news everywhere I go and the business I do in other Asean countries is doing much better.

I guess a new government may start to turn things around, time will tell.

This article is a joke right?...I have to laugh....They come out with all this warped BS...and for What reason?...at the end of the day, the real numbers come in and the numbers don't lie...Not like the TAT...Who are they kidding and why?

the party's over, folks!!!

I have snorkeled thru the grotto to Maya Bay on Phi Phi Lek with just 6 people on the beach there...now they say there are 10,000 people per day inundating there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as they say, "You can never go home!!!"

8 minutes ago, DSJPC said:

the party's over, folks!!!

I have snorkeled thru the grotto to Maya Bay on Phi Phi Lek with just 6 people on the beach there...now they say there are 10,000 people per day inundating there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as they say, "You can never go home!!!"

Yes, and they're probably proud of those numbers.