Thailand Motor Expo 2016 car sales down

webfact

Motor Expo 2016 car sales down

5_Motor-Expo.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The 33rd Thailand International Motor Expo Show or Motor Expo 2016 ended yesterday with car sales dropping to slightly over 33,000 units, down from the target of over 50,000 units.

Throughout the 12 days of its schedule only approximately 33,000 vehicle bookings were received which is much lower than expectations.

But the industry forecast improvement of sales in 2017.

Motor Expo Thailand is normally the usual time for prospective buyers to make the final bookings on new vehicles for the year. Vitally, it is also an important gauge of the overall condition of the  local automobile industry.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/motor-expo-2016-car-sales-down/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-13

FTI says car sales next year will pick up

7_Car.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Optimism remains in the country's automobile industry next year although car sales this year has declined.

Mr Surapong Paisit-Pattanapong, the vice chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) and also spokesman for the FTI’s Automobile Club, said he remained optimism on the improvement of car sales next year.

He stated that the automotive sector expects 2017’s figures to be better than this year.

New vehicle sales for the coming year will exceed 800,000 units which is a 3% growth when compared to this year, he said attributing one of the reasons for this to the first car scheme.

He said owners of vehicles bought under the ‘First Car’ program will realize that their cars will be 5 years old in 2017 and many will desire to change to newer models.

These buyers will account for around 30,000 new vehicle purchases. Also facilitating the expansion in the automotive market next year will be the expected improvement in the economy as a result of the government’s economic stimulus packages with the resultant improvements in consumer purchasing power.

He said new vehicle sales figures for the first 11 months of 2016 show total sales exceeding 600,000 units.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fti-says-car-sales-next-year-will-pick-up/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-13

i recently sold my pickup as i am going for a long trip back to nz for the coming nz summer. i have been using a scooter to get around and dont think i will ever own a car or pickup in thailand again. a scooter is so much more convenient.  i turn a lot of heads picking my son up from his school on a scooter that is worth less than a months school fees as well.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Surapong Paisit-Pattanapong, the vice chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) and also spokesman for the FTI’s Automobile Club, said he remained optimism on the improvement of car sales next year.

Where do they sell that optimism stuff I would like to buy some. Seems like a cure all for future problems. I am optimistic that I will live to 120 so consider it done. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

ended yesterday with car sales dropping to slightly over 33,000 units, down from the target of over 50,000 units.

Thats quite a target miss. Love the words slightly, target of over, They should read the update as follows in the line above  FTI says car sales next year will pick up. Problem solved just kick the problem down the road to 2017 the year of world wide prosperity if you listen to the pundits. 

Second hand car prices here are as near as much as a new car in England.

A new car is more expensive than the UK---example a MINI--------Honda civic---across the board.

One scam   a decent car coming equipped with only steel wheels and a plastic cap   OMG

17 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

I doubt sales will pick up next year. That new tax hit sales hard. The economy is starting to look rocky as we're heading into turbulence again with elections in the not too distant future

So optimism is not limited to car sales, but it also extends to "elections in the not too distant future".

5 hours ago, Redline said:

That's awesome!  We need 3 million more cars and trucks on the road, then nobody can move, and they will all be worthless to drive in the city.

its  ok probably 3  million are destroyed each year by their driving habits...............see it  does make sense

Sex sells, no skimpy dresses, no naughty fishnet stockings, no braless babes, no hot pants, tightfitting, I can see the crack of her rs, or camel toe. No none of that, we are Thai, we don't do sexy.

See what you have done dogooders of the elite. Made a right pigs ear of it. Banning sexy = no sales.

6 hours ago, ginjag said:

Second hand car prices here are as near as much as a new car in England.

A new car is more expensive than the UK---example a MINI--------Honda civic---across the board.

One scam   a decent car coming equipped with only steel wheels and a plastic cap   OMG

Because of the import tax on vehicles not "made (assembled) in Thailand"

On 12/13/2016 at 5:25 PM, ratcatcher said:

Where did you see the 3,000,000 more cars and trucks mentioned?

Just future gazing.

"In 2015, about nine million vehicles were registered in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, but the existing road system can accommodate only 1.5 million vehicles. The result is traffic jams that waste about 97 million baht worth of fuel each day on average, or about 35 billion baht a year."

But really, that's only 1 billion dollars a year.  Not a big deal.

Add 3 million, and see what happens.

Averaging almost 600,000 more cars per year in BKK and the surrounding area.

Edited by Redline