Residence Certificate at Jomtien Immigration - Extension of Stay issued in Bangkok

Quick question, I need to change my car registration from Bangkok to Chonburi province, one of the things I've just been told I need to produce is another residence certificate to do this. (despite having just given one to the Department of Land and Transport in Bangkok to get the blue book and address changed after paying off the finance, that one was gotten from the British Embassy and not an option this time, as only have a few days to complete the registration of the car in Chonburi and earliest available appointment at the embassy is 3rd Jan 2017)

No real issue to go to Jomtien Immigration to get a residence certificate from them apart from the fact that the current extension of stay in my passport was issued by CW Immigration in Bangkok, anybody got any idea if this will be an issue for getting the residency certificate issued in Jomtien?

Basically, my main residence is in Chonburi province, but the work permit and immigration stuff is in Bangkok, where I work Mon - Fri, hence why they differ.

13 minutes ago, johng said:

Its an interesting question..jomtien seem to be quite easy going about issuing these certificates all you need is "an address" could be hotel or condo that you are staying in at the moment...nudge nudge wink wink

Well, suppose I'll have to wing it and see, no choice really.

40 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You could try at Jomtien, but unless you do a formal change of address It's unlikely that they will issue a residence certificate.

Last reports were that they were not checking whether any TM30 / TM28 have been submitted to issue the RC, however, this could be possible now of course.

I'm mainly concerned that they may reject due to the visa related stuff being issued in Bangkok.

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I'm mainly concerned that they may reject due to the visa related stuff being issued in Bangkok.

That is why I'm saying it's unlikely. Jomtien immigration do not have a local record of your address, and therefore, can't certify it. As far as immigration records are concerned you live at the address you gave to the CW office, and offices are only supposed to issue these certificates to people living within their area that have already registered an address.

Sounds like to me it would be easier leaving the car registered in Bangkok.

it will save you going through the hassle of trying to prove address in chonburi.

only downside I can see is when it comes to yearly registration which needs to be done in Bangkok but you are there 5 days a week anyway 

1 hour ago, Doiger said:

only downside I can see is when it comes to yearly registration

There is no "yearly registration"   what you do yearly is  Tax,insurance and if car is over 7 years a "roadworthyness test"  (5 years for motorbike)

this can be done in any province doesn't matter where its "registered"

So yes easiest thing to do is just leave it registered in Bangkok.

• Like 2

Unfortunately it is no longer an option to leave the car registered in Bangkok, if it was then I definitely would do, after I paid the finance off on the car I was told that as I wanted to use a Chonburi address then I HAD to change the registration from Bangkok to Chonburi, as the DLT changed the rules earlier this year to basically back to what it was a few years back, i.e. the car has to be registered in the same province as your address, tried reasoning with them, but to no avail.

On page 18 of the blue book there is writing in Thai that apparently says that I have 15 days to do this from 30th November 2016, which is actually today, of course I didn't get the blue book back from the finance company until yesterday!!! 

I will get fined for this, no worries there, using a Bangkok address is not really a good option, as this is a temporary situation, plus DLT would not accept the company address for the car registration (they will for a company, not individuals, they used to before!!)

All I can do in reality is go to the immigration in Jomtien and give it a go, all understood about the address in Bangkok, there in lies the issue for a lot of things, as you cannot get an extension of stay to work in Bangkok based on a Chonburi address, it has to be in Bangkok, so if I change this, then get issues later on when the extension is due, unfortunately it is not possible to have two addresses.

As I will go to Singapore today for one day, then on entry in to Thailand, I will write the Chonburi address on the TM.6, as I always do, then try to reason it that way! (not hopeful mind!)

I've never head of them forcing a change of province before, what I mean by that is the car is already properly legally registered to you with Bangkok plates and Bangkok address yes ??
Why are they forcing the change ?

It's quite normal for them to insist on province change when changing owners (new owner lives in different province)

5 minutes ago, johng said:

I've never head of them forcing a change of province before, what I mean by that is the car is already properly legally registered to you with Bangkok plates and Bangkok address yes ??
Why are they forcing the change ?

It's quite normal for them to insist on province change when changing owners (new owner lives in different province)

John, I am not forcing the change, far from it, ideally I'd like to leave it Bangkok, it is DLT that are forcing it.

Without trying to get too far off topic, the story goes like this.

Car was purchased from German Auto in Bangna in July 2014 utilising finance from BMW, was asked at the time if I wanted to use Bangkok or Chonburi plates, opted for Bangkok as there was an additional cost from the dealer of 4,000 Baht for them to do in Chonburi, was told it was not an issue to do this, at the time it wasn't.

I was working and living in Chonburi at the time of purchase, so used the Chonburi based work permit for registration purposes, the blue book had both BMW finance address (All Seasons Place, Bangkok and the company address in Chonburi where I was working at.

Was laid off in Chonburi in January this year and started working for a Bangkok based company in March (also based at All Seasons Place!!), hence why the extension of stay etc. was moved from Chonburi to Bangkok immigration.

As stated, I really do not want to use a Bangkok address, as it is a temporary situation and do need to use what I consider as my permanent address in Chonburi.

BMW Finance are telling me that the regulations changed earlier this year and even if it is the same owner, then if the province changes, then so must the plates, in fact a friend of mine had the same situation a couple of weeks back with a Honda Accord that was purchased on Bangkok plates, upon paying off his finance, same thing, as his work permit is based in Chonburi.

I do still have a copy of the Chonburi work permit and this copy is still valid date wise, it is obviously cancelled with the labour department, however according to BMW, DLT would only check the date on the copy to accept it, however, still need to use my home address, not an old company one.

The strange part is, the Bangkok issued blue book, with the original plates, now has my name and Chonburi address in it as owner, it is just that according to BMW, these plates will be cancelled and I have the 15 days to go to Chonburi DLT to get them to issue new plates and blue book, apparently this can be done in just a few hours, as Bangkok DLT have informed Chonburi of this need and a plate is already allocated, this part we will see about.

Blimey !  as if the process wasn't convoluted enough as it is....  you go and quadruple it   :-)

56 minutes ago, Mattd said:

it is DLT that are forcing it.

Yes I understood that part,  if its new regulations then that would explain why I haven't heard of them ( DLT) forcing the change before.

Anyway if you have an address in Chonburi its definitely worth trying Jomtien immigration  to see if they will issue a "residency certificate" for  the purpose of buying a car.

When they say Chonburi DLT they mean the main one actually in Chonburi

here Chonburi DLT

Not the Pattaya one

Pattaya/Banglamung DLT

Please let us all know the final outcome  here for future reference.

Good luck.

Edited by johng

Not sure I convoluted it, circumstances did!

Thanks for the tip ref. Chonburi DLT, I did go through this process in the late Nineties at the office in Chonburi and renewed my licence there one time, so know where where it is.

Will update once done.

I will add that I am more than a little miffed with BMW Finance, as they could and should have informed of the need to get two residency certificates, as explained before I did have to get one from the British Embassy so that they could change the information in the Bangkok issued blue book, had I have known it would have been a relatively simple task to get two of them, either at the same time, or another appointment shortly afterwards, albeit an expensive way!

It would have resolved my current issue though!

One thing I'm really not clear on and cannot remember from the last time, is whether Chonburi will issue a complete new book for the car, or just modify the existing one to reflect the new plates? (I asked about the yearly registration tax and BMW seemed to think that I would just continue to use the one on the car now, even though the registration number will end up being different, this was renewed in August, so has quite sometime left, when it is time to renew next August, they said Chonburi area would issue a new one then with the new number)

If the latter, then I might be able to get away with showing them the Chonburi work permit as proof of province so to speak, it would be cheating a little I know, but.......... !!!!

I had a similar problem last month. I live in Saraburi and bought a motorcycle in Pattaya. I wanted to register it in Saraburi but the shop said it was not possible. I have a one year marriage visa extension in Saraburi and the yellow house book. 

The shop said I need proof of address in Chonburi. I solved the problem by checking into a hotel for one night. Took the receipt to immigration and used the hotels address. Got the certificate in 30 minutes at 300 baht.

13 minutes ago, Mattd said:

One thing I'm really not clear on and cannot remember from the last time, is whether Chonburi will issue a complete new book for the car, or just modify the existing one to reflect the new plates? (I asked about the yearly registration tax and BMW seemed to think that I would just continue to use the one on the car now, even though the registration number will end up being different, this was renewed in August, so has quite sometime left, when it is time to renew next August, they said Chonburi area would issue a new one then with the new number)

From my experience  they will not issue a new book  just update the details in the old book .

When the number plates change they give you a new  "tax disc"  to reflect the new number  I cant remember if they make you pay again for new tax or just re issue with new number...

The police seem to be increasingly vigilant about  Tax stickers missing or out of date etc.

also remember that you should update the details on your insurance.

9 minutes ago, johng said:

From my experience  they will not issue a new book  just update the details in the old book .

When the number plates change they give you a new  "tax disc"  to reflect the new number  I cant remember if they make you pay again for new tax or just re issue with new number...

The police seem to be increasingly vigilant about  Tax stickers missing or out of date etc.

John, thanks, then there is hope, as the page with my details on it will not change, it might be worth seeing if they will accept a Chonburi based work permit in that case, it was part of the check list that BMW gave to me (translated from Thai by them).

Docs Req.jpg

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Unfortunately it is no longer an option to leave the car registered in Bangkok, if it was then I definitely would do, after I paid the finance off on the car I was told that as I wanted to use a Chonburi address then I HAD to change the registration from Bangkok to Chonburi, as the DLT changed the rules earlier this year to basically back to what it was a few years back, i.e. the car has to be registered in the same province as your address, tried reasoning with them, but to no avail.

I purchased a new Honda from Bangkok with obviously Bangkok registration last year. I have since moved to Bang Saphan Noi in the province of Prachuap Khiri Khan and went to the local DLT a couple of weeks ago to do the yearly tax. No problems at all even though the car is still registered with Bangkok plates. Cannot see the need of going through the hassle you are discussing here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, worrab said:

I purchased a new Honda from Bangkok with obviously Bangkok registration last year. I have since moved to Bang Saphan Noi in the province of Prachuap Khiri Khan and went to the local DLT a couple of weeks ago to do the yearly tax. No problems at all even though the car is still registered with Bangkok plates. Cannot see the need of going through the hassle you are discussing here. 

From what I am told, the rules changed around May / June this year, prior to this it wasn't an issue, if I could keep it as is, then for sure I would, it is a royal PITA!

Okay, let me get this straight.   We have a Bkk-registered car and for the past three years have been paying the yearly taxes, etc. in Sisaket, the last time only two months  ago.  The procedure takes something like 30 seconds, no questions asked.  Will we now have to go through the hassle of transferring its registration to Sisaket next time?  Has anyone actually had to do this?

3 minutes ago, oobar said:

Will we now have to go through the hassle of transferring its registration to Sisaket next time? 

No you will carry on paying yearly Tax and insurance in Sisaket as you have been doing...Mattd's issue is completely different.

12 minutes ago, Mattd said:

From what I am told, the rules changed around May / June this year, prior to this it wasn't an issue, if I could keep it as is, then for sure I would, it is a royal PITA!

I renewed in November this year so as I said, I had no difficulties at all so the rules cannot have changed.

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

it might be worth seeing if they will accept a Chonburi based work permit

Yes its certainly worth a try    if they don't except it ( for some reason )  then fall back on to "residence certificate" from Jomtien.

1 minute ago, worrab said:

I renewed in November this year so as I said, I had no difficulties at all so the rules cannot have changed.

You paid yearly tax and insurance...this is called registration in some countries  but its not what is called registration here,

here registration  is when changing owners and /or changing province/licence plates.

=============================================================

The new rule seems to be that to change names you need a "certificate of residence" or work permit from the same province as the number plate ?  my heads spinning..

===========================================================

Anyway I just had a thought  @Mattd are you sure the car is in your name ? I thought the owner listed in the blue book would be the finance company until you fully pay it off,now you want to change names/registration.

Page 5 should say registered to BMW leasing or whatever and what does page 7 say ?

page 18 records previous changes of province and owners and various other things

top arrow say ownership was transferred from  but not who to

second arrow shows the car was moved from Bangkok but not where to

page 18 copy.jpg

4 hours ago, johng said:

They do not make you pay again for the tax disc but you have to pay 230baht for the new number plate + another certificate of residence,did this only last week when I bought a car in Bangkok but live in Chiang mai

Edited by akampa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

You paid yearly tax and insurance...this is called registration in some countries  but its not what is called registration here,

here registration  is when changing owners and /or changing province/licence plates.

Excuse my ignorance about this topic. But why would you need to change province/licence plates?

The most common scenario is when you buy a vehicle in that has registration plates from another province..you have 2 choices,go to the DLT of the province which its already registered and change names there, this isn't very convenient if you live in Chaingmai and the vehicle has Bangkok plates.
So second option is to "move" the vehicle to your home province this will require new number/registration plates.

Why on earth they continue with this bizarre system beats me...the tax , insurance and yearly checks are already setup for online use they just need to get the Department Of Land Transportation coordinated then everything could be done online
With hopefully a more logical system for ownership transfers reduced bureaucracy ,paperwork and wasted time at the DLT