Savannaket one week

I want to cross the border with Laos at Savannakhet , may visit Vientiane but not stay over a week.

Then get back to Thailand.

Question is: May I get a 30 day visa as a Canadian citizen at Thai Consulate in Vientiane if I use the same way back (i.e. the bridge at Savannakhet?

If I want to skip Vientiane, am I getting a 30-day or 15-day visa on my Canadian passport?

The latest info I had about cost of Lao visa is 1500 Bahts.

I can also extend my visa for one-month in Thailand but it's more 'exotic' to cross the bridge!

Thanks in Advance.

When you enter Laos you will pay for a 30 day tourist visa. 

If you have a thai SETV you can enter Thailand at any of the official land border crossings.

You could indeed apply for a thai tourist visa in Vientiane, or you could get a thai tourist visa in savannakhet (much easier than in Vientiane - less people), there is only 60 day tourist visas, not 30 as you mention.  If you dont apply for a Thai SETV, then coming over the bridge at savannakhet, with a Candian passport you should get a 30 day stamp (this shouldnt be a problem providing you dont have back to back visa exempt stamps)

• If you enter Thailand at the Vientiane/Nong Khai bridge OR the Savannakhet/Mukdahan bridge, and you don't have a visa, you'll get permission to stay for 30 days. 
  • The Laos visa is $42 USD. If you pay in baht it will be at least 1,500 baht.