Publicist: Actor Alan Thicke dies at age 69

webfact

Publicist: Actor Alan Thicke dies at age 69

By MESFIN FEKADU

LOS ANGELES: -- A publicist says Alan Thicke, who played the likable father on the sitcom "Growing Pains," has died at age 69.

Carleen Donovan, who is a publicist for Thicke's son, singer Robin Thicke, says the actor died from a heart attack on Tuesday in Los Angeles. She had no further details.

Alan Thicke starred as Dr. Jason Seaver in the ABC series "Growing Pains," which aired from 1985 until 1992. The Canadian-born actor had a prolific career, including cameos in recent years on the comedy "How I Met Your Mother" and the Netflix series "Fuller House." He was also a frequent pitchman for ads on Sirius.

Thicke's "Growing Pains" role is among the most beloved television dads of all time. He played a psychiatrist raising his children along with his wife, played by Joanna Kerns. Seaver's oldest son, Mike, played by Kirk Cameron, was a constant source of trouble for the family.

Thicke was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1947 and was a popular Canadian talk show host before making his name in the United States. He was nominated for three Emmy Awards for his work in the late 1970s as a writer for Barry Manilow's talk show, and later for a satirical take on the genre in the variety show "America 2-Night."

He was also the composer of several popular theme songs, including the original theme to "The Wheel of Fortune," and shows such as "The Facts of Life" and "Diff'rent Strokes."

___

AP Entertainment Writer Anthony McCartney contributed to this report from Los Angeles.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-12-14

2 hours ago, yogavnture said:

does this mean we dont have to listen to his adverts peddling goods on the radio any more. he would adverstize anything

He was a decnt actor in his time.  I think you need an attitude adjustment saying that.  You could always change stations/channels if you did not wish to listen to him.

He died and we should all wish him R I P.

Edited by snooky

Strange coincidence. I am in the U.S. now and was listening to him on a sports talk radio show just last week. He was a huge hockey fan, pals with Wayne Gretsky. During the NHL All-Star weekend he would put on a "celebrity hockey game" raise money for charities.

One year a celeb gave him an elbow shiv to the face, broke his nose. Gretz in the locker room grabbed it snapped it back, quipped you'll be alright I know Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon.

He was on and on about getting Justin Bieber (is it Justin ? I don't know not a fan) the pop star kid out for this year's game.

Sad deal, RIP

11 hours ago, yogavnture said:

does this mean we dont have to listen to his adverts peddling goods on the radio any more. he would adverstize anything

Sounds a bit mean of you.

Perhaps you're jealous of someone with a decent voice ?

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, snooky said:

He was a decnt actor in his time.  I think you need an attitude adjustment saying that.  You could always change stations/channels if you did not wish to listen to him.

He died and we should all wish him R I P.

I'm sure he was a decent fellow and sorry to his family for loss. I'm just saying that he and chuck wollery  (spelling) would advertise anything for years on the radio.. these two were the worst. chuck wollery and alan thicke.    (spelling) . nobody likes advertisements but to have to listen to the same people peddle different products over and over relentlessly is disturbing. I'm sure he wasnt in the poor house.  just because i didn't like to listen to his adverts dosent mean I'm happy for his death

Just now, Rob13 said:

have to?

yes if u want to listen to that station. have to.  why certain individuals would taint their name by advertising various products. is beyond me. they lose their credibility . why doe chuck wollery just because he hosted a dating show know more about austrailian dream cream than I could find out on my own.  rip  alan thicke. but a spade is a spade.  these people would peddle various goods for easy money.  one or two products. fair enuf. but certain individuals would peddle and peddle forever.. what makes them experts