Immigration announce crackdown on illegal activities at tourist sites throughout Thailand

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Chuchat Tareechat said that in Bangkok his department would be focusing their attention on Khao Sarn road, the Bang Rak area, Sukhumvit Road and Soi Nana, reports Naewna.

Outside the capital they will target activities in Phuket, Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani and Songkhla.

Their attention will concentrate on Pattaya, Samui, Hua Hin, Doi Suthep and Phu Kradung in Loei province.

What's so hot at Phu Kradung in Loei that it's suddenly in the Premier League of tourist rip-off venues? According to google, it is "one of the best known national parks of Thailand" and bugger all else so must be a bit more than just the standard 'farangs pay more' rigmarole  at the gate , no?

Again we have it! Crack down on the Thai´s and the tuk tuk mafia, scammers, drug dealers and this and that. Time to understand the article and it´s purpose. Cracking down on Thai illegal activities is something they do all the time. Here is an heads up for every foreigner coming to Thailand or residing in Thailand during the high season that they are going to have more eyes looking and searching. It´s a good thing. The only thing that is not good is that thery advertise it. Better for everybody that comes here with bad intentions to just get caught and put i jail or deported.

Edited by Get Real

Buried in the previous comments I am sure but excuse me for being redundant, I am assuming that the Police are equally as interested in curtailing the "illegal activities" or is that left to Immigration since it probably involves foreigners and not the citizens of this country?

good idea lets start with the scum bag  taxis at the airport soi 20  and nana  just to  name a few areas of interest.It is out of control  and hard to find anybody  using a meter. For the love of it I have no idea why a taxi would just park all day at soi 20  just to try and get the 500 baht to the airport.

last trip I stayed at a 4 star hotel in area and had the   man who/s  daughter wants to go to Australia to study in the dining room at breakfast.  Lets get serious  security at the hotel non event police just worried about making money with no helmets  and licences  checks at Pattaya.

I must say I noticed a lot tighter check on entry  into Thailand from   Cambodia.Which is good but   lets employ more  Immigration officers as the wait time is not a great look

50 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

The news report covers the Immigration Police Department.   All those things above have nothing to do with what they do.  

Their specific mission and jurisdiction is investigating foreigners.

Next please.

Well, the point is that here are the stated goals:

The department said they will be particularly looking out for foreign gangs preying on tourists.

Of particular interest will be international law breaking, criminal activity, sex offences and human trafficking in children.

Neither of those quotes has to do with what one typically perceives to be the role of immigration.  Any crime, foreign gang or domestic, should be looked into.  Why are they only focused on foreign gangs?  If you get preyed on by a Thai gang, will that crime be handled differently?  If you report it to an immigration officer will he refuse to get involved because those people beating you senseless are obviously Thai?  

The only reason immigration should be involved in crimes of this sort is if they are attempting to protect tourists/foreigners.  If the goal is to protect foreigners, I think most foreigners are far more at risk from Thais than they are from other rogue foreigners.  

Likewise, taking the second part of that, the part about their "particular interest", what is international law breaking?  If people broke the law before they arrived in Thailand, shouldn't they have already stopped them from entering the country?  

And what is this vague, criminal activity?  Again, isn't that the job of the RTP?  Why are they promising to crack down in popular tourist areas to only catch foreigner on foreigner crimes?  The crime itself should be a concern of the RTP who then might refer it back to immigration if there were issues with illegal stays or visa issues.  

If they're going to pretend that they're protecting tourists/foreigners in Thailand, actually do something about the Thai on foreigner crime.  They have no jurisdiction to investigate many of the crimes they are claiming they are interested in.  

So, it's all BS.  It's just a way for them to walk around and shake down foreigners so they can collect a little New Years bribe money.  

1 hour ago, bkk7 said:

if not having those activities makes you reconsider coming to Thailand, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Who put you in charge of determining what activities are wholesome enough for Thailand?  

I'm sure there's a puritanical community back in Farangland looking for a soldier of morality like you.  

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I'd love to read a story where the people in power say they will try to tackle a  problem that is a problem because of their ineptness.

How about going after 'all' criminals who pray on tourists. Jet ski operators, rogue taxi drivers, etc. Why is it always about clamping down on a problem that always makes someone else look like the bad guy and make them look like the good guys.

If you wanna be the good guy, be the good guy. No more condescending and patronising hyperbole. 

If you are dumb enough to come here and take a tuktuk to buy gems, you deserve it.  Jetskis are a menace to swimmer safety...no sympathy for those morons either.

3 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Most people assume they're targeting Farang gangs. I think you might find they're looking at countries closer to here, such as Cambodians and Burmese who blend in better.

I'm not assuming that at all.  I know exactly who they're referring to but it's still absurd.  99% of the crimes committed against foreigners over the holidays will be Thai on foreigner.  To undertake this operation to catch the small amount of foreigner on foreigner crime is laughable especially when most of the crimes they claim they will be on the lookout for are the jurisdiction of the RTP.  

If immigration wants to protect tourists, protect tourists from Thais.  

It's all about the mangled logic being put forth.  If people are trafficking in minors, why not just crack down on trafficking?  Why go into tourist areas to "protect" tourists from traffickers?  

The answer is because the intent isn't to "protect" foreigners at all.  It's an excuse to go shake down foreigners and fine them for visa overstays or not having their passport on them.  

I guarantee you that they will not stop any gangs from preying on foreigners.  They will not stop any human trafficking.  They will not catch any international criminals.  

What they will do is stop and demand to see the passport of a lot of foreigners.  They'll find some with drugs on them.  And they'll collect a lot of "tips" to allow these folks avoid jail.  

7 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

If you are dumb enough to come here and take a tuktuk to buy gems, you deserve it.  Jetskis are a menace to swimmer safety...no sympathy for those morons either.

Thanks for being such a bundle of joy.  

Nobody comes to Thailand specifically for the purposes of taking a tuktuk to buy gems.  Not sure if you've ever run into any of these gem scam guys but they're good.  Grand Palace is closed . . . oh, let me show you another temple.  

Jet skis are not a menace to swimmer safety if swimmers and jet skis are kept separate.  Plenty of places all over the world where they co-exist without harm.  

1 hour ago, digibum said:

Thanks for being such a bundle of joy.  

Nobody comes to Thailand specifically for the purposes of taking a tuktuk to buy gems.  Not sure if you've ever run into any of these gem scam guys but they're good.  Grand Palace is closed . . . oh, let me show you another temple.  

Jet skis are not a menace to swimmer safety if swimmers and jet skis are kept separate.  Plenty of places all over the world where they co-exist without harm.  

Guess what happened when the US finally outlaws 2 cycle jetskis?  They went to every developing nation with a beach.  If the jetskis and swimmers are separated?  If the cook washes his hands...If the girl doesn't have HIV....If they are separate from their alcohol (the most unlikely).  Jetskis are a way for those with an inferiority to complex to make noise, air, and water pollution...at the same time, while on vacation, just so they can travel in a circle.  Boats make more sense, and they too seem to be magnets for the shorter chained.

Quote : The department said they will be particularly looking out for foreign gangs preying on tourists.

Right ... so, if the gangs are Thai then it's kind of OK for them to prey on tourists ? Frankly this kind of remark is totally depressing, because it shows that racism and xenophobia are right there under the skin of so many guys in power who make the important decisions daily in this country.

First you think 'wow, they're actually trying to protect the tourists' but then you find out it's twisted in a way that manages to point an accusing finger at foreigners, no matter what. Yurk !

I'm not saying that no foreigners are involved in illegal activites in Thailand, because obviously there are. If they get caught and kicked out, great, because these b*stards cast a nasty shadow on all of the expats who do nothing wrong and just want to live here peacefully. But it must be said that most, if not all, of these 'bad guys' operate because they can, and they can because they pay black money to corrupt local officials.

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What is the percentage of crime, in Thailand, perpetrated by foreigners ?  Doubtful it makes up a significant part of overall crime.  It sounds like officers are looking for a excuse to get out of the office.  What sort of special powers do immigration officers have over the RTP ?  Are they better paid and harder to bribe ?  This country has an interesting way of tripping over itself.  

yeah lets go down phuket for cracking down on these falangs by the way dont forget ur swimmin suit 

The department said they will be particularly looking out for foreign gangs preying on tourists.

Makes perfect sense for immigration to look for foreigners praying on tourists instead of the police...

Not a job allowed for foreigners...

Perfectly legal activity for a Thai then, preying on tourists??? :clap2:

That reminds me of a pickpocket who is working on Walking Street since years, well known by local business people (street stall owners etc.) and usually operating just a few meters away from the Thai police table where they sit to ... well I don't know exactly what for. Guess as long as he is sharing his 'income' with the BiB, nothing will happen to him. He will also not be affected by the 'crackdown', as it only targets 'foreigners'. :guitar:

Joe sixpack isnt even aware being scammed. Most westerners i meet think thailand is FANTASTIC. The food is sooooo good and healthy. The people ALWAYS smile! The 100thb pinapple that is actually only 25thb soooooo sweet. The MINIVANS so convenient and fast. 555

Live and let live. 

9 minutes ago, kingalfred said:

"Foreign gangs preying on tourists " hahaha pesky foreigners again

Jup. Look. When the universe was created by the thai they made all living creatures inferior to the thai. The thai brought prosperity to the world, invented fire and water and the wheel and the vaccination against cancer, aids, ebola, they gave us penicillin and the 9th symphony, they were never colonised, they never collaborated with FOREIGNERS during WW2 and they are still the most honest and enlightened devout buddhist people in the universe including all parallel multiverses. Foreigners are bad, period BUT tolerated because the thai are also the most empathic beings in the universe. I WORSHIP the thai. They are truly the best thing life has to offer. They are my God.

Ps.

(Can i apply for free elite visum now???)

The immigration department..

What a useful bunch of lovely, competent people..

I always enjoy my time spent at immigration, where I can watch some high level tasks being carried out between them cracking jokes, receiving 'gifts' and playing on their phones.