British teen died on Koh Chang accidentally, an inquest heard

webfact

Pretty Brit teen twin on dream holiday found washed up on Thai beach

By Tom Evans

A STUDENT drowned after going for a swim alone off the coast of a Thai island just hours after arriving, an inquest heard.

NORTHAMPTON: -- Tragic Bryony Freestone, 19, was found washed up on Koh Chang beach at 9am on August 14 while on a dream holiday.

Locals tried desperately to revive her on the beach but Bryony, from Northampton, was later pronounced dead at hospital.

An inquest at Northampton County Hall heard how nobody saw the Exeter University geography student go into the sea.

Recording accidental death, senior coroner Anne Pember said: "Bryony went out swimming on her own in Thailand and sadly drowned.

Full story: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/570303/Thailand-holiday-British-tourist-drowns-dies-Bryony-Freestone-Northampton-Koh-Chang-beach

-- Daily Star 2016-12-15

"was found washed up on Koh Chang beach at 9am"
that is simply impossible, either she drowned at night, then she would have been found at sunrise, or she drowned shortly before 9am, then she still would be drifting in the water.
i have been many times at this beach, 20 years ago the resort was called KC huts, one of the first resorts in all of ko chang, then they cut lots of palmtrees and constructed KC grande. there are always people passing by, from sunrise until midnight. the water is calm and shallow, only a heart attack could lead to drowning there. 100m north there are some cracy-looking hippie bungalows, maybe she was staying there and got a "drink" too much. just a guess. the resort owners will pay everything, to cover up a crime. some time ago, they found a dead foreigner with hands tied on his back, multiple stab wounds on his back, a plastic bag over his head, police concluded, obviously suicide.

UK news item after her death in August provides more detail

University of Exeter student Bryony Freestone drowns in Thailand during conservation trip

August 17, 2016

A student from the University of Exeter's Penryn campus has died off the coast of Thailand during a conservation expedition to hep save the ocean.

Bryony Freestone, 19, was reported to have drowned on Sunday while swimming at the White Sand Beach resort in Koh Chang, the second biggest Thai island.

It happened just a day after another tourist died at the same spot.

She has been in South East Asia with three other Exeter students and four Falmouth University students for an expedition with the Marine Conservation Cambodia organisation.

They had been carrying out research on the effects of illegal trawling on seagrass and builds on two expeditions carried out by previous students.

On the FXCambodia project website, she wrote: "I've been lucky enough to go to Kenya and gain an insight into the world of elephant and rhino conservation, and climbed Mount Kenya to raise money and awareness for their conservation.

"My love of surfing has inspired my interest in the importance of protecting the oceans, and I can't wait to discover more about this and understand its wider implications for people, in Cambodia this summer."

The former Wollaston School pupil had been on the having a short break with some other students before the planned journey back home, following the expedition in nearby Cambodia.

bryony3.jpg

Red flags had been put up in the area, warning people not to swim due in the sea because of strong waves - which had already caused the death of a 55-year-old German tourist a day earlier.

But while swimming in the sea, the teenager had got into difficulties and drowned, before being pulled out to allow a team of volunteer rescue workers to perform CPR in their attempts to rescue her.

Despite rushing her to a nearby clinic, the student - who, when away from university, lived with her parents and a twin sister back home in the Northants village - had died.

Edited by gomangosteen

19 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I just find this story so difficult to believe.....I do hope it is truth and that she passed accidently...but

People drown all the time and there are signs about rips on Ko Chang beachs.Coming from a non beach swimming country she took a big chance swimming,especially in August.What is so hard to believe about that.

12 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

that is simply impossible, either she drowned at night, then she would have been found at sunrise, or she drowned shortly before 9am, then she still would be drifting in the water.
i have been many times at this beach, 20 years ago the resort was called KC huts, one of the first resorts in all of ko chang, then they cut lots of palmtrees and constructed KC grande. there are always people passing by, from sunrise until midnight. the water is calm and shallow, only a heart attack could lead to drowning there. 100m north there are some cracy-looking hippie bungalows, maybe she was staying there and got a "drink" too much. just a guess. the resort owners will pay everything, to cover up a crime. some time ago, they found a dead foreigner with hands tied on his back, multiple stab wounds on his back, a plastic bag over his head, police concluded, obviously suicide.

Rubbish,you ever been there in August.

12 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

It would seem that you have an agenda.

It certainly seems to have made interpreting facts you dont have easier.

Scary to think there is a serial killer out there. 

Even sadder to think how your indefatigable and baselees specultaion will read to the family.

I would suggest you need to find more constructive pusuits.

Edit: Damn, topic is ancient. Sigh.

Edited by HooHaa