SETV Savannakhet - now asking for itinerary/bank statements

4 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

Are you replying to the OP? what arrival form?

The one you fill out when you arrive in LOS, land or airport, and they staple it to your passport....tm6....it asks the name of hotel...always some wanger that leaves it blank and it holds up the line...just put anything...blank is not an answer.

Just now, KhonKaenKowboy said:

The one you fill out when you arrive in LOS, land or airport, and they staple it to your passport....tm6....it asks the name of hotel...always some wanger that leaves it blank and it holds up the line...just put anything...blank is not an answer.

ok, but nobody spoke of the tm6 needing or not needing a hotel.

Hence me questioning who your BTW point was directed at

8 hours ago, globalspark said:

As I  stated yesterday there  seems  to be  a more  heavy handed approach to visas in general.  On arrive from  Phnom Penh recently  the immigration was asking lots of questions.I was asked  what hotel I will be staying  something that I was never asked before.The que  was slow  because   every passport  was carefully checked out. I think  a directive  has been issued from above to tighten up.

I can see in the near future   that  people on just an old age pension will not be welcomed in Thailand as long term residents.

This poster mentioned it.  Ironic, you want to split legal hairs on my post, and you are the one who was caught red handed gaming the system.  I was just reminding readers that you always have and will need to write where you are staying.

20 hours ago, BuckBee said:

You can also just state your appearance changed significantly so need new passport .

I flew back to the US last September. When I approached the US officer, he looked at my passport... looked at me... looked at my passport... looked at me and said You've lost weight? I said yes. 30 lbs. He smiled. I said Good living in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, gojdthai2016 said:

are u sure u can get 30 day at the border crssing the bridge i thought it was only 2 weeks ubonjoe

If the a person is from a G7 country they get 30 days at a border crossing. The OP wrote he has a "G7 passport".

Those from some countries that have a bilateral agreement with Thailand also get more than 15 days.

3 minutes ago, gojdthai2016 said:

pardon my ignorance ubonjoe but as a kangaroo will i get30 days and how about my philipine gfriend,,just wishing to know in case our tourist visas get knocked back,regards

You both would only get a 15 day entry. But you can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration.

pardon my ignorance ubonjoe but as a kangaroo will i get30 days and how about my philipine gfriend,,just wishing to know in case our tourist visas get knocked back,regards

that being at jomtien,,,,so in other words one can extend ones stay up to 45 days by entering over savannakets bridge,,imsuprised:shock1: regards 

44 minutes ago, gojdthai2016 said:

I believe if i had the following on applying at savannakhet my application would've been accepted

bank statement showing enough cash for 2 months - dunno, i'd reckon on 100kthb or equivalent

an outward flight towards the end of your 60 days - 800b to Yangon?

maybe not required - a hotel booking covering 2 weeks or so - i did one on booking.com. No payment, and free cancelation. 

Little pre prep and i think your chances are good

• Like 1

jonw8uk, I think the same. They are only concerned that someone is working on tourist visa (which is understandable). As soon the applicant is able to proof his funds come from abroad, and he have sufficient funds to finance himself, everything should be fine. Even after the 10th visa.

Another thing which might be critical, if someone lived here with ED visa and then wanted to switch to TV. Also too many visa exempt entries may rise a red flag.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

For those of you who think getting a new pasport is always the answer, be aware there are some consulates who have asked those with new blank passports with no SETV stamps in them to show their old passsport also.

So far i have NOT heard this about Savannakhe yett, but it has been asked at other consulates.

It is NOT common, but it may br the next thing as consulates around the world are becoming aware of the new blank passport and the "first time" applicant trick.

Just a warning to the wise.

Show your income and income source, have documents ready in case asked.

Where? 

Hi, maybe a bit off topic just what i experienced last week going to Savannakhet.

Stayed overnight in Mukdahan went across to Savannakhet at about 8.30 by bus , handed in all documents for a non o marraige with the needed funds. Went back the following day to collect my passport was out in about 10 minutes no problem. 

Got the bus back to Thai immigration got in line and about two away from checking out they get a call to check for a South African passport which was mine,

I get pulled out of the line and told to go to the main office. Arriving at the office the officer in charge takes my passport and explains that they are checking for overstay. By this time we are getting a bit upset as they allowed us out and in and getting my visa in Savannakhet which meant to me and my wife that everything was in order or they would not have given me a visa if there was a problem. For some reason they contacted our local immigration and after waiting for more than one hour we were told we could leave. No appolgy . What a waste of one and a half hours. Also my wife had to have her passport and pay 50 Baht arriving and leaving Laos. The last trip we made to Laos my wife passed only with a I.D. and no payment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I presume you mean the govt when you say"they ruined it".Constant abuse and joke status visa is what ruined it by farang rorters.

No, it was ruined it for the "good" people.  Those up to "no-good" can still go ahead as before, with an "extra fee" per renewal. 

If the goal is to stop illegal-working, going to where they work will be necessary.  Throwing away billions of baht from tourists via visa-restrictions which push people to other destinations will not stop illegal-working, and only do harm to the economy.  

I think it is naive to believe the "stated reasons" for recent visa-changes.

4 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

For those of you who think getting a new pasport is always the answer, be aware there are some consulates who have asked those with new blank passports with no SETV stamps in them to show their old passsport also.

So far i have NOT heard this about Savannakhe yett, but it has been asked at other consulates.

It is NOT common, but it may br the next thing as consulates around the world are becoming aware of the new blank passport and the "first time" applicant trick.

Sorry, but this never happened to me in the last 30 years, and this also would be impossible to show my old pasport, in my case,  because my city hall in my home country and also my embassy in Bangkok tooked always my old full, but still valid pasports and dont return them back to me. But i luckily in possession of 2 valid pasports over the last years, because i am  traveling a lot and my pasports are full soon.

I think due to the no fees for setv you will find them less helpful in accepting those who bit more border line on paper work and past visa history as no point them issuing them without profit . Savanakhet been pretty good at balancing ease with evidence and keep things low key and off the radar (unlike UK Hull). Once free setv over I think they likely be much same as was and if go fully prepared you should get a visa and know when it will be last one they likely issue .

14 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Can you provide any proof that this has actually happened?

Say I go home for 2-3 years, whilst there get a new PP, come back on a 30 day VE then decide to prolong my stay so apply for a new SETV somewhere in the region, are you really saying that some consulates will ask for my old PP? Really??

3 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Say I go home for 2-3 years, whilst there get a new PP, come back on a 30 day VE then decide to prolong my stay so apply for a new SETV somewhere in the region, are you really saying that some consulates will ask for my old PP? Really??

I think some consulates will ask to see the old passport if you clearly renewed while in Thailand (they can see this because of the transferred stamp from the old passport).

Regarding renewing UK passport:

Has anybody recently renewed their UK passport? what was accepted as proof of address?

I emailed VFS to arrange an appointment, and there auto email response contained the following;

Her Majesty’s Passport Office have advised that some customers applying for their passport from outside of the UK have been provided with incorrect guidance relating to the supporting documents required in support of their passport application.

This only affects customers born in the UK.

Prior to your passport application appointment, please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-2 for the correct information. HM Passport Office apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Following the link, only these documents are accepted;

Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
employment record eg o cial letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department • medical/health card
• voter’s card
• immigration documents. 

None of which I can provide...

10 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

Has anybody recently renewed their UK passport? what was accepted as proof of address?

I have not done it but can remember a few things that people have used.

Anything in Thai has to be translated to Englis

Thai drivers license, utility bills with your name on it, a certificate of residence from immigration and etc. They are not that strict about it.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 9:23 AM, darrendsd said:

Yes it happened to me once.

I had been out of the country for about nine months and got a new passport while I was away. Coming back through the land border at Sungai Kolok he wanted to see my previous passport which fortunately I had with me. He scrutinised it then wrote a bit of a screed in the new one and passed me through.

No explanation and I don't know if it would have been a problem if I had not had the old one with me.

13 minutes ago, rott said:

Yes it happened to me once.

I had been out of the country for about nine months and got a new passport while I was away. Coming back through the land border at Sungai Kolok he wanted to see my previous passport which fortunately I had with me. He scrutinised it then wrote a bit of a screed in the new one and passed me through.

No explanation and I don't know if it would have been a problem if I had not had the old one with me.

This is not the same as applying for a SETV at a Embassy and being asked for your old PP

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, JackThompson said:

An ED Visa used to be a way to relax in Thailand and learn the language while exploring the country, etc - but they wrecked that.  For starters, plan to spend 2 hrs/day, 4 hrs/wk (not including home-study, so that it actually does some good) as part of your retirement/vacation plan. 

How long you wish to stay on ED Visas and extensions depends on how many languages you wish to learn, because after 18 months on that schedule, you are considered "done" with learning Thai (as far as immigration is concerned), so need to start a new language. 

Also, be prepared for hassles for extensions every 3 months (depending on the office) or paying extra (~$3500 baht per extension) to not be hassled. 

And don't even think of getting a re-entry permit, and leaving and returning, or you will face hassles upon entry (evidently "real" students never travel to other countries, so this indicates illegal working in Thailand) - and possibly denied entry with your valid visa + re-entry permit. 

Also, be prepared to get a new passport if you want to get a Tourist Visa at a Thai consulate after this, because those dispensing visas have been told that "ED Visa" means, "works in Thailand illegally."

What I have outlined does not occur to every person in every case, but all of these cases have been reported here.  Sad but true.

I almost did the ED Visa when I was contemplating having time on my hands.  I don't think that spending 4 Hrs a week can be considered a burden.  Now the other things became a bit problematic, but the hours they expected I don't think were