Have the Requirements for a Thai Bank Account Changed?

Dan5

On 12/15/2016 at 6:23 PM, thetruth revealer said:

Depending on every Branch there are different rules applied, Kasikorn seem to be Farang Friendly , which i cant say for Bangkok Bank per example.Often its depends on the clerk as well what kind of Documents are required. Some branches would even allow TR Visa for opening  accounts where others require what you described. Its not consistent .

100 per cent accurate.

Just go to another bank and try again.

Here in Pattaya, avoid Kasikorn in central festival at all costs. I opened accounts 2 months ago.
Went into kasikorn with all docs required but because I had a tourist visa, had to pay 12,600 baht for insurance. Told them I don't need, already have insurance. She told me that without a work permit, I had to take out insurance. I got up and left.
Walked next door to Bangkok bank and opened 2 accounts in no time at all. 700 baht for ATM card and no minimum deposit. I needed a residence certificate for each account but they accepted just the one I had on me.
I walk into Bangkok bank all the time and receive good quick service each time. No problems.
Just as been mentioned before, each branch of every bank is a franchise and every manager and every worker will have different rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Some branches do seem to be asking for a certificate of residency now days....even if you have accounts with them already.   A lot also depends on whether you have a long or short stay visa, what other ID you may have like maybe a Yellow Book, etc.   Varies for branch to branch as to how they enforce HQ guidance/policy.  TIT

I have lived and worked in Thailand for over 5 months now, but I still don't have a work permit. This means I cannot open a bank account, legally own a motorbike or get a driver license. It sucks but I have to deal with it. Every month I simply receive my pay check in cash. My international license will expire next month however, so perhaps I need to take the full course of driving lessons, exam etc. Sucks.

All you need is a residence certificate which costs 300 baht from immigration. I paid for 4 & only took me 20 mins.
I have a tourist visa and have opened 2 bank accounts, obtained both a car and motorbike license & bought a new motorbike in the past 2 months.

7 hours ago, ravip said:

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

1. Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 A letter of reference from one of the following:

1. Embassy or international organization
  2. An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
  3. Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
  4. Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
  5. Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
  6. Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

(Click on the Tab "open an account")

Thanks  for posting. I didn't think any recent changes occurred. The bank just required my passport with TR visa two weeks ago . My wife whom is Thai and does her banking at BKK bank accompanied me.

On 15/12/2016 at 11:23 AM, thetruth revealer said:

Depending on every Branch there are different rules applied, Kasikorn seem to be Farang Friendly , which i cant say for Bangkok Bank per example.Often its depends on the clerk as well what kind of Documents are required. Some branches would even allow TR Visa for opening  accounts where others require what you described. Its not consistent .

I have a Bangkok bank account from 4 years ago, gained using a tr visa.

When i needed to put 800,000 baht into a  fixedi savings account, i was refused in all 4 banks that i went into, saying i needed a work permit 

I had to go back and except the crap interest rate Bangkok bank were offering on their fixed savings account but at least they offered it.

This was in robinsons mall, Surin city

You say 'second' account so can I presume you have one with Bangkok Bank already?

Can we know what type of account you have already and what type of account you wished to open?

I ask because I use BB, and quite often a fixed term deposit matures, and that is closed and I open a brand new one, new book, new number etc, and although I need to have my passport with me, I need no other documentation. My Branch is the main one in Pattaya and seems particularly keen to work with foreigners.

19 hours ago, ravip said:

2. An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
  4. Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
  6. Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

But of course no one pays attention to the above. I'm interested in practical knowledge, not useless documents.

Interesting list of post quotes from the last six-seven years all quoting banks as saying "new law just come out this year".  Sorry don't know how to attribute quotes as code missing from new forum.

"New law just come out this year" is any Thai bank's all purpose excuse if they don't want to deal with foreigners, are scared of making a mistake, find it all too difficult or just want to go to lunch...

I spoke directly to the manager of SCB ...and he clearly stated the regulations put out by the BOT in the last year make it clear that no bank should open an account for any foreigner who holds a tourist visa.

By the way, my wife (also farang) has 2 accounts with K Bank. Since I cannot open an account in my name, then we asked whether she can open a 3rd account. They said no. They said the law has changed and that foreigners can no longer open bank accounts without work permits.

A friend went to The Government savings bank in Rayong to open an account, he was told no way, one must be residing in Thailand for at least one year. They said  this is a new law brought in by the Government and it applies to all banks.

First time I have heard of this excuse.

in the end i went to the branch, only to find a NO and after much talking then only im allow to open unless i got the embassy letter. I was told the rule change since this yr,.

I think i give up. Will just bring CASH AROUND.

Edited by partington

On 15/12/2016 at 8:11 PM, ukrules said:

I had to get a 'certificate of residency' from immigration to open a bank account at Kasikorn.

As far as I'm aware they will accept this instead of something from your embassy who have no idea where you live, etc.

They charge 500 Baht for this 'certificate' which is just a letter. Tell immigration that you need it for opening a bank account, this is similar to the letter they issue for a new car, it's valid for 30 days after it's issued and the reason it's issued is mentioned in the letter.

It was a few years ago when I last got one of these.

They never charged me for such a letter. This letter if free, you were swindled! 

On 16/12/2016 at 7:35 PM, LammyTS1 said:

Here in Pattaya, avoid Kasikorn in central festival at all costs. I opened accounts 2 months ago.
Went into kasikorn with all docs required but because I had a tourist visa, had to pay 12,600 baht for insurance. Told them I don't need, already have insurance. She told me that without a work permit, I had to take out insurance. I got up and left.
Walked next door to Bangkok bank and opened 2 accounts in no time at all. 700 baht for ATM card and no minimum deposit. I needed a residence certificate for each account but they accepted just the one I had on me.
I walk into Bangkok bank all the time and receive good quick service each time. No problems.
Just as been mentioned before, each branch of every bank is a franchise and every manager and every worker will have different rules!

Well in Pattaya, they probably have so many opening accounts and then dying, it is a profitable business. 

Plus naive tourists paying 700 baht for an ATM card. Thye tell them that they get some kind of insurance for that but if you read the small print it isn't true.  Also, they cheat the said customers when they make international transactions.

22 hours ago, Dan5 said:

But of course no one pays attention to the above. I'm interested in practical knowledge, not useless documents.

Why not just get a yellow house book?

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Wanderer555 said:

Not sure why you cannot get these things. Shortly after arriving on a TR Visa, I opened a bank account (Bangkok Bank), and received both a car and motorcycle license with No Work Permit required. 

As some have indicated, what you need to do will vary with location, for me this was having the local police issue a 'Certificate of Residence' (no charge).

Cheers!

I live in Narathiwat. People are not familiar with foreigners here.

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

They never charged me for such a letter. This letter if free, you were swindled! 

I wasn't swindled, I refused to pay and opened an account at another branch.

Anyway you mean that the British Embassy actually gave something for free??

If you are right, could anyone enlighten me and tell me what letter the BE charge

around 2600 GBP for?

Well in Pattaya, they probably have so many opening accounts and then dying, it is a profitable business. 
Plus naive tourists paying 700 baht for an ATM card. Thye tell them that they get some kind of insurance for that but if you read the small print it isn't true.  Also, they cheat the said customers when they make international transactions.

International transactions are totally free for me.
I have a UK MasterCard that allows me to withdraw cash from inside the branch thus avoiding an ATM fee. My card issuer also does not charge a fee for making international transactions or even to withdraw cash. I then pay the balance on the credit card same day so no interest charged. Completely free.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I wasn't swindled, I refused to pay and opened an account at another branch.

Anyway you mean that the British Embassy actually gave something for free??

If you are right, could anyone enlighten me and tell me what letter the BE charge

around 2600 GBP for?

He said, "I had to get a 'certificate of residency' from immigration to open a bank account at Kasikorn. "

53 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

International transactions are totally free for me.
I have a UK MasterCard that allows me to withdraw cash from inside the branch thus avoiding an ATM fee. My card issuer also does not charge a fee for making international transactions or even to withdraw cash. I then pay the balance on the credit card same day so no interest charged. Completely free.

Well you are one of the lucky ones. I have always had to pay international transaction fees from one of the banks, usually the one being transferred from.

Well you are one of the lucky ones. I have always had to pay international transaction fees from one of the banks, usually the one being transferred from.

Yeh I looked into it. Bangkok bank charges 0.25% and my home bank would charge me £9 for an international transfer.
I've got a GBP account with BB but have yet to use it. The exchange rates offered here cannot match what my MasterCard gives me.