Replacement for Sony RX100

The Fuji X70 is sweet with a huge sensor but can you live with a fixed lens, 28mm in 35mm terms? But no viewfinder, X100T for me if I was to go that way.

The RX100 series is a FR said likely still the best of the 1" sensor cameras, from mk3 on-wards, they got a little pop-up viewfinder which I find very handy on my mk3.

I'm far from an expert, but I think if I were happy with my "old" Sony X100, I'ld go for a newer Sony X100. Output quality, features, handling, etc, should be close and of course, I suppose, could only be better:

http://www.avcamera.com/index.php/sony-compact-camera

As said my grandfather: "You know what you are leaving, but you never know what you are moving in".

But it's true sometimes we "need/feel" for something "new/different". A kind of a new challenge...

Good luck junglechef, and let us know your final choice!

Cheers.

Thanks for all the replies.

Guess I should have mentioned that I am not particularly fond of my Sony.

Like the pic quality but it wasn't too reliable and seemed to "act up" and in shop often.

But mainly It was too difficult to use for me.

For instance the auto focus didn't seem to really work well.

I'm not an expert and mainly shoot my family outings, stuff around my farm incl wildlife and take it on my bicycle adventures. 

I guess I'm a point and shoot guy who likes high quality images and considers myself to have a pretty good eye for getting nice shots.

On the Fuji I am concerned about the lack of zoom (though it does have digital zoom which crops the pic) but wonder if the quality is good enough to be able to photoshop to get image enlarged (if I understand enough that this makes sense??).

Not concerned about view finder, too use to iPhones and my bike computers to probably use it.

Fuji has a touch screen which i'm fond of (use my cycle computer Garmin 1000 over my Garmin 520 because of larger screen and is touchscreen)

Bought the Cannon G7X Mark II 

Zoom 4.2x

8.8 - 36.8 mm

1:1.8 - 2.8

24mm (wide)

20,700 bht at World Camera in Central Festival mall in Chiang Mai (the only place that had one, and just one, as it's a very new model)

Similar to my old Sony RX100 but hopefully I find it more user friendly and reliable 

Thanks for all the helpful comments and Happy Holidays!. 

I have both (G7X II and X70). Both are great cameras but in a very different way.

G7X II is the perfect compact do-it-all (well and fast), it's very snappy, the autofocus is fast, it's stabilized which allows slow shutter spped, the reach is nice to have. It's a joy to shoot with and demands to be used.

But X70 takes better pictures, a little more lively and accurate colours, sharper and a lot less noisy, but it's a very specialized camera. Coming from RX100, which I assume is in many ways similar to the G7X, you may miss the versatility, the stabilization, the general ease of use and find the autofocus to be quite slow in low light.

Between both I'd choose the X70, because it take better pictures. But it requires a little more technical skill and patience to be loved, and it won't be able to get some of the shots the G7X will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a similar question.

I'm looking for advice for purchase of a new camera. Sony RX100mk2 purchased in Jul2014 was great to work with, but now developed some minor problems, and repair would be costly and take long time. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/931730-recommendation-for-sony-camera-repair-shop/#comment-10958630

Now I would spend up to 30 kTHB (the Sony RX100mk2 was 22 kTHB), and since I wore the Sony around my neck much more than putting it in my pocket, fitting in my pocket is not required any more. I can't see myself carring two lenses, if the new camera can exchange lenses, one will have to do.

I do mainly architecture and streetlife photography, sometimes I can't get far away from the building to get it all in picture.

Much low-light photography (around sunset and at night, shadow, in rooms) where I don't want to use flash.

The Sony had problems focussing on close object (or I didn't use the right settings? - better read manual).

Often strong contrasts (sun/shade), partially solved with shooting in HDR. Related to this, pictures often too dark on Sony, so I overexposed them by +1. Reflexions when I photograph objects behind glass (museum, maps/announcements/timetables at bus stations).

I sometimes shoot overhead, screen has to flip down at least 45 degree so I can see. I don't need a view finder, the screen on the rear is fine for me.

Charging by USB, I don't want a separate charger or a  spare battery.

Buy in Thailand or in Germany? I am currently in Thailand for holiday (and will mostly use the camera in Thailand), where I can get VAT refunded. In Germany I would have to pay 19% VAT, no refund (but due to different pricing in different countries, might be cheaper in Germany even after VAT?).

A friend said for the Sony, I paid for the name and for the good performance for taking videos, neither of which is important to me.

I consider myself a layman, usually shoot in automatic mode, and don't care about the various brands and models, just want one that suits me and hope it lasts for the rest of my life.

So far like the Cannon more then the Sony so far but still new and haven't given the owner's manual enough attention (again) 

Don't like that the flash, has to be opened manually and not easy to set.

Also not sure if i can take still pics while in movie mode as I did with the Sony and even my iPhone now. 

Wifi on Sony was prioratory, not sure about Cannon, again not user friendly like my Apple products or even some of my Garmin bike computers. 

Think Macro better on Sony.

Work in progress, ie hope I can figure out how to use it :smile:

• 2 months later...

I finally bought the Canon G7Xmk2 and have been happy with it since.

I don't know if the multiple issues my Sony RX100mk2 has are due to poor manufacturing or wear and tear (after 3 years and about 30,000 pictures, with me in dust and rain, and a lot of sweat either as water vapor or touching my sweat soaked clothes). So try something new, and the Canon is cheaper than the current Sony.

Some observations:
I like that you have to open the flash manually. I want full control over flash.

The Canon comes with a charger, only in a footnote in the manual you find it can be charged over USB. Big issue for me, I have only one battery, and I don't want to be stranded during a trip with empty battery because I forgot to charge it, in such an emergency I can charge with power bank that I always carry with me.

On the Sony, when the picture is reviewed, I can instantly zoom in to check. On the Canon, I have to hit the review button first.

Internet gives 1 inch sensor size and 13.2mm x 8.8mm sensor size, but this is nowhere near 1 inch diagonal!

When I have the camera hanging on my neck and it is on, accidental touches of my abdomen on touchscreen performs operations that I don't want. How can I easily disable touchscreen so I can leave the camera switched on, hanging on my neck between shots?

• 4 weeks later...

If I was to buy a small camera mostly for day to day stuff, street photography and some landscapes the Ricoh GR would 100% be my choice.

It has an APSC size sensor but is truly pocketable. Longer than the RX100 but thinner. It is a camera you could have with you all the time.

It is a cult camera with a massive following and rightly so. There is no zoom. The full frame equivalent focal length is 28mm and there is a crop mode you can use for 35mm.

I think I saw one in Big Camera for 28,000 Baht, but it wasn't there a week later. I may buy one anyway as a second camera at some point. I used to own an RX100ii but it wasn't a pleasure to use, great photos though. Apparently the Ricoh GR is a camera many fall in love with because it is a pleasure to use with good ergonomics, useful focusing options and simple settings.

Archived