Another Snake ID Q

Thanyaburi Mac

4 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

The neighbors say it's a cobra, of course, but I have my doubts.

Gotta photograph the head dude not an underbelly strung up shot. 

Looks like a cobra to me though. Had a baby one on the porch yesterday morning even though it was cool outside and my dog was inside the screen door barking at it. 

Bricks were shat. 

It amazes me that people can be so relaxed about this stuff. Jesus. That looks like every King Cobra you've ever seen. That would kill you, no question, and if you survived who's to say what health problems you'd have. The neighbours (presumably) killed it, which - of course - is exactly when you're most likely to get bitten. Snakes give me the creeps. I'm fine once I've seen it, but it's that feeling that if it doesn't move you'll probably be too close when you do see, smell or hear it, that freaks me out. Right in the middle of Udon Thani - just off the Thongyai Road - a bloke had cobras in his garden, and one in the house. No wonder the Thais tolerate dogs. 

9 hours ago, Craig krup said:

It amazes me that people can be so relaxed about this stuff. Jesus. That looks like every King Cobra you've ever seen. That would kill you, no question, and if you survived who's to say what health problems you'd have. The neighbours (presumably) killed it, which - of course - is exactly when you're most likely to get bitten. Snakes give me the creeps. I'm fine once I've seen it, but it's that feeling that if it doesn't move you'll probably be too close when you do see, smell or hear it, that freaks me out. Right in the middle of Udon Thani - just off the Thongyai Road - a bloke had cobras in his garden, and one in the house. No wonder the Thais tolerate dogs. 

Your post reminded me of this cartoon

3467021_orig.jpg

11 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Yup, dogs can be useful.  Just a few months ago was sat upstairs at my desk, dogs were making an unusual, persistent bark sound.  I thought it might be a snake or something out of the ordinary, and sure enough, found they had cornered a common, Golden Tree Snake underneath the tire of my pick up truck.   Didn't have to coax that one at all, he/she slithered straight into my big fish net, and I let it go up a tree in my front garden.

Ive talked about this type of snake before Its the EEBBY JEEBBY SNAKE

It does not kill you what it does it attach itself to your wallet and sucks all the currency out , leaving all coins behind 

Difficult to Digest

Similar to the woman on walking street in Pattaya

But be careful they can also wrap themselves around you and like a boa  can suck the life out of you 

Becoming rarer and not usually aggressive unless provoked.  They do eat other snakes and the Monocled Cobra, which is far more common than the King, is most likely part of the diet as are Kraits.  This is knowledge passed down to me by a herpetologist - I am no expert on snakes.  Personally I am more concerned with Monocled and the White lipped Viper, which I have gotten way too close too by accident. 

Need to see the back of the head to confirm which cobra it is. We do have three kinds here not all are Kings. By guessing from the height of the gate I'd guess 1.5 meters long maybe two. So if it was a King it's a juvenile. Seems to be well fed so it's be eating other snakes.  blow up of the head doesn't revel anything.  Still no need to kill it unless it was actually attacking some one.  Threatening some one means back away and let it go. I have a whole slew of different snakes here being on the side of mountain and surrounded by farms. Wish the snakes would go up and eat the pigeons. My cats are even scared of the pigeons!

18 hours ago, Strange said:

Gotta photograph the head dude not an underbelly strung up shot. 

Looks like a cobra to me though. Had a baby one on the porch yesterday morning even though it was cool outside and my dog was inside the screen door barking at it. 

Bricks were shat. 

Did everyone go for a change of underwear after that?

31 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

It's a type that has a right to life and not be slaughtered like so many on here like to do. Not suggesting yourself, of course, talking about different posters.

I keep a respectful distance of any creature  I don't know anything about .     In this instance I guess it was a snake just being a snake.

The only things I'll  kill with  a vengeance  are cockroaches, flies and mosquitoes.  

The dog is probably the best defense against snakes. Lived in the foothills behind Los Angeles in a cabin in the woods. We had rattlesnakes all summer around the place. The dog would make a strange Yip Yip sound that would alert us. At night was the most dangerous as they don't rattle when cool and they would sit on the trail. Best was when we had a party and the city people left to walk out through the woods in the early light evening. They would return in ten minutes and say there was a rattler on the trail, and we would go out with a shovel to move it. City folks believed all the stuff in movies that you died if bitten. There was a 90 year old guy living in a cabin near me. Walked by his place one day and his hand was all swollen. He had reached into his woodpile and a trattler latched onto his hand. I asked what he did. Said he killed it with a 2 by 4. Then cut his hand and plunged it into boiling water. Never went to the hospital....one tough old bugger. But he was lucky as you can get gangrene and lose  the limb......but die, unlikely unless you are not very healthy in the first place.

21 hours ago, Craig krup said:

yeah  educations  a  terrible  thing