Three-metre king cobra caught in Chalong

rooster59

Three-metre king cobra caught in Chalong

The Phuket News

1481959218_1.jpg

PHUKET: A three-metre king cobra was caught by Ruamjai Rescue Foundation volunteers after a house-owner from Chalong found the snake hiding among the vases from his colletcion.

Alerted at 3:30pm yesterday (December 16), the Phuket Ruamjai Rescue Foundation’s head Sayan Thammaphan and his team arrived at a house in Chao Fah Thani Village and discovered a snake hiding among decorative vases in a storage room. To their surprise, the snake turned out to be a deadly venomous king cobra.

“When he initially noticed the snake, the owner of the house believed it was only a rat snake. But having looked at it, we learned the snake was rather a king cobra,” Mr. Sayan said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/three-metre-king-cobra-caught-in-chalong-60298.php#05bp1vt56CZl3u12.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-18

I ride over a big cobra this morning. It was huge and spanned the length of a car lane it was trying to cross. I just raised my legs and went over the top of it and felt like a small speed hump. Never seen them that big.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Sure it was a cobra and not a python?

It was black. No distinct markings on it. It's head wasn't python like.
I can't be sure because it happens quite fast. I just braced for it and prayed it didn't get tangled up in the wheels/fenders. I've heard of people being bitten that way.

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

I ride over a big cobra this morning. It was huge and spanned the length of a car lane it was trying to cross. I just raised my legs and went over the top of it and felt like a small speed hump. Never seen them that big.

Was there any chance that you could have avoided him?? If you haven't noticed our fellow earth travelers the products of mother nature are disappearing at an alarming rate. 

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No, but it wouldn't surprise me. The Naga is sacred and the hills in Chalong are called the Nakkerd Hills which means "Birth place of the Naga.

If it bit him he would have been Nakkerd  :whistling:

Was there any chance that you could have avoided him?? If you haven't noticed our fellow earth travelers the products of mother nature are disappearing at an alarming rate. 

No not at all. He was very long and covering my lane. I would be risking my safety to try to avoid him by either going off-road or into oncoming traffic lane.

Poor guy was probably just moving to a sunny area early in the morning.

Just now, sebastion said:

No not at all. He was very long and covering my lane. I would be risking my safety to try to avoid him by either going off-road or into oncoming traffic lane.

Thanks for updating us. Please lower your speed which was not discussed and up your road ahead view somewhat and lets give mother nature a hand/chance. I hate to think of the day when my great great grandchildren have to go to an enclosure to view these magnificent animals in miserable surroundings. 

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

Hmmmm No Brakes on this 'Bike" you were riding??  

Hmmmm No Brakes on this 'Bike" you were riding??  

Hard to see anything at the early am with shadows on the road when the sun is rising.
Please don't imply I intended to hurt the snake. I couldn't stop safely in time. The end.

Hard to see anything at the early am with shadows on the road when the sun is rising.

Please don't imply I intended to hurt the snake. I couldn't stop safely in time. The end.

Yes, so you were riding too fast. The end for the snake.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

7 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Mea Culpa  -  If its an consolation, snakes are very resilient, I ran over one at night in an ArmyJeep in Sattahip, large Reticulous Python, took it to a vet that literally nailed it down to  a table for a few days,  then turned it loose - the bones are very supple and heal fast.  in my defense, you never said how fast you were going.  :sleep:

How do you come to that conclusion? I was riding under the speed limit of 60 kph but the snake was atop a crest. When I saw him it was too late.
Sorry to those nature lovers. Maybe take up your gripe with the people who built the road and took away its habitat.

How do you come to that conclusion? I was riding under the speed limit of 60 kph but the snake was atop a crest. When I saw him it was too late.
Sorry to those nature lovers. Maybe take up your gripe with the people who built the road and took away its habitat.

You were not able to stop on time, therefore driving too fast.

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I Killed a baby cobra 2 days ago that was sunbathing on my tile porch thing when it was cool. House was open but the screen was closed. Dog started barking at it from inside the screen. 

Killed the hell out of it with a "Hoe" thing the Thais use for shovels. 

Cant be having poisonous snakes on the property & my dog does not know it will kill him. 

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Strange...Really, Be on the lookout for more. Seriously. 

I know. I have been. The thing was only like 1 foot long. Been paranoid to let my dog out ever since. Really paranoid. 

Little snake was a mean sucker too. Did the whole stand up & flair the hood in an attempt to intimidate me thing they do. 

54 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Strange...Really, Be on the lookout for more. Seriously. 

Too right.  My sister in  law who lives right next to us has many more snake episodes than we do.  We think for some reason they like to breed somewhere near the back of her house.  A few month ago she killed one or two quite young cobras a day for nearly 2 weeks Total of 14 which seems to be about the size of a common cobra egg clutch.  Read up Riki Tiki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling again.

I was walking home from my friends house to mine. Just across the street. I thought they were some kind of worms.

One neighbor hadn't been in residence for awhile and there was a nest of them.

Another time a friend found one in his kitchen.  Under the ramp to his place he found twenty more...

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Saying what I think of this would get me banned.

That sure escalated quickly. A snake is not a road hazard, anyway you want to paint it. They are gonna get clobbered and most of the time its not on purpose. Bit childish to blame a motorbike or car for 'murdering' a snake on the road. 

Edited by Strange