Leptospirosis reported in Nakhon Si Thammarat

webfact

Leptospirosis reported in Nakhon Si Thammarat

lp.jpg

BANGKOK, 19th December 2016 (NNT) - Weeks of severe flooding in various parts of Thailand’s southern region have led to reports of leptospirosis in Nakhon Si Thammarat. 

The situation in most districts of Nakhon Si Thammarat, where floods hit over two weeks ago, has started returning to normal although some areas still see water as deep as 60 centimeters. 

The Regional Irrigation Office 15 in Nakhon Si Thammarat has sent out backhoe loaders and trucks to help remove weeds and dredge Klong Bang Sai and Klong Sai Gai to help release flood water into thr Pak Phanang River. 

This operation is intended to be expanded to other flooded areas, according to officials. 

Mr. Sutthichai Chuenchom, a village chief from Moo 3 of Tambon Koh Tuad in Pak Phanang district, said that flood water in his area has started turning bad after weeks of inundation while half of the villagers already suffered from conjunctivitis and athlete’s foot and at least six of them were infected with leptospirosis.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-19

12 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Can only happen in third world countries that do not have adequate sewage systems. Leptospirosis is caused by contact with animal faeces.

Can also happen i developed countries with sewage system problems. Especially during severe rain storms.  

Not long ago we saw all these so called educated foreigners swimming in the dirty flood water, and enjoying them self.

24 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Can only happen in third world countries that do not have adequate sewage systems. Leptospirosis is caused by contact with animal faeces.

Not quite true. It was a major problem in London while construction of Canary Wharf took place.

We were all educated during the one day 'safety course' before going on site. This was the 90's.

The big concern is leptospirosis that comes from rats - rats pee on themselves all the time and it gets everywhere. Take a walk through some damp long grass with a cut on your foot and you could be in serious medical trouble.

Leptospirosis is found in most countries, including Western countries. It is just that Western countries have, with some exceptions, such as London, fewer rats and tolerance of rats and the leptospirosis does not get spread around so much.

I therefore wonder why they are surprised that this waterway contains this kind of bacteria, especially after flooding. 

34 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

I worked on Tetly's brewery in Leeds (Yorkshire UK/ possible third world) some years ago, there were rats everywhere. A electrician caught Leptospirosis and was hospitalised for weeks, he was very lucky he did not die.

I think it is transmitted by rat and cow piss.

3 hours ago, lungnorm said:

Actually the bacteria Leptospira is spread by animal (mainly rat) urine, not feces. it also infects dogs through their mucus membranes.

1 hour ago, Seismic said:

Actually the bacteria Leptospira is spread by animal (mainly rat) urine, not feces. it also infects dogs through their mucus membranes.

You spelled Faeces wrong, pity coz all your facts are correct. Its obvious you googled it I just went of my memory. 

On 19/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, lungnorm said:

You spelled Faeces wrong, pity coz all your facts are correct. Its obvious you googled it I just went of my memory. 

fe·ces

plural noun: faeces; plural noun: feces

waste matter discharged from the bowels after food has been digested; excrement.

synonyms:excrement, bodily waste, waste matter, ordure, dung, manure

late Middle English: from Latin, plural of faex ‘dregs.’

Didnt need to google it, After 35 years of mandatory HSE courses in malaria prevention, tropical diseases, and monthly health alerts from my company on incidents of Cholera, Japanese encephalitis, falciparum malaria, Leptospirosis, Dengue, etc i can pretty much remember all the common causes. Plus i have a rather strong aversion to rats, so it is one that always stuck in my head. oh and i worked for a US based company so the spelling tends to stick, but as this is an international forum, i didnt realise that only British English spelling was allowed.

On 12/19/2016 at 5:39 PM, lungnorm said:

wow, a good memory and good at spelling, a real babe magnet aren't ya

12 hours ago, Seismic said:
fe·ces

plural noun: faeces; plural noun: feces

waste matter discharged from the bowels after food has been digested; excrement.

synonyms:excrement, bodily waste, waste matter, ordure, dung, manure

late Middle English: from Latin, plural of faex ‘dregs.’

Didnt need to google it, After 35 years of mandatory HSE courses in malaria prevention, tropical diseases, and monthly health alerts from my company on incidents of Cholera, Japanese encephalitis, falciparum malaria, Leptospirosis, Dengue, etc i can pretty much remember all the common causes. Plus i have a rather strong aversion to rats, so it is one that always stuck in my head. oh and i worked for a US based company so the spelling tends to stick, but as this is an international forum, i didnt realise that only British English spelling was allowed.

Know all xxxxx