List of Condos Below 1,000,000 Please

These are ridiculous prices for a slum.

You can get new development from Lumpini and Sena that come with gym and poll for less than this if you are willing to travel a little.

This is the post I was replying to. He throws up 2 estates and one is 4 years old and says "travel a little"

And then..

Throws up links to 100 other developments to every remote corner of Bangkok LMAO these are not "travel a little"

So dude your credibility is in the toilet. You always end up so desperate to rubbish the market that you can't remember what you posted

You did nothing but derail!!!

But of course your 1 mill baht condo with a surprise bts pop up (what a big spender!) made a profit.

Yawn

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the post I was replying to. He throws up 2 estates and one is 4 years old and says "travel a little"

And then..

Throws up links to 100 other developments to every remote corner of Bangkok LMAO these are not "travel a little"

So dude your credibility is in the toilet. You always end up so desperate to rubbish the market that you can't remember what you posted

You did nothing but derail!!!

But of course your 1 mill baht condo with a surprise bts pop up (what a big spender!) made a profit.

Yawn

Lol....Do you have issues?

I could care less what the market is in Bangkok. I don't care. I was just posting links for new units from reputable developers that cost less than a million baht in Bangkok. Now that you finally seem to accept that these buildings exist, you change your story yet again and quote something completely irrelevant. Seems to me like someone is stuck with a slum they can't get rid of?

Speaking of credibility here's a guy who quotes website copyright and somehow connects it to a building development.

Gotta wonder what your next useless reply is going to be.

Lol....Do you have issues?

I could care less what the market is in Bangkok. I don't care. I was just posting links for new units from reputable developers that cost less than a million baht in Bangkok. Now that you finally seem to accept that these buildings exist, you change your story yet again and quote something completely irrelevant. Seems to me like someone is stuck with a slum they can't get rid of?

Speaking of credibility here's a guy who quotes website copyright and somehow connects it to a building development.

Gotta wonder what your next useless reply is going to be.

"2014 copyright origin property".. It's a time stamp from the developer! What Web designer are actually referring to lol

44 minutes ago, trogers said:

Half a million would do it. A Shangri-la in the midst of a slum. Priceless!

The total cost would then be 822k THB, which is under the 1M THB total budget by 17.8%!

Cost per floor area would then be 15,451 THB per square metre. Considering that median prices of new units seem to be around 100k THB per square metre, (and assuming that the place would be fixed up to the same levels of quality as them), it would be a bargain.

The common areas probably aren't nice, but you could say the same thing for most areas of Thailand or South-East Asia.

I guess whoever stays in it would have to keep the luxury a bit secret though in order not to be targeted for robbery or extortion. That may include dressing way down whenever leaving or entering the residence, and never having the front door wide open for anyone to peek in.

7 minutes ago, hyperdimension said:

assuming that the place would be fixed up to the same levels of quality as them

Below an example of a new build that is also a 53 sq. m. shoebox (like the bargain near Bearing), but no way you can turn the one at Bearing into something like that.

Also consider your neighbours when you live in a place where room rent is probably 1,500 baht/month. Might not be the most fun people to live next to.

The%20Room-Sukhumvit%2021-6538(1).jpg

22 minutes ago, lkn said:

Below an example of a new build that is also a 53 sq. m. shoebox (like the bargain near Bearing), but no way you can turn the one at Bearing into something like that.

Also consider your neighbours when you live in a place where room rent is probably 1,500 baht/month. Might not be the most fun people to live next to.

The%20Room-Sukhumvit%2021-6538(1).jpg

53 sq. mts.  I could live in one that size. Photo looks ok. Out of curiosity, where is it and at what price?

Some of the condos suggested earlier like the one for 799k in Rangsit were only 21 sq.mts. Okay for a two week vacation, but long term, no thanks. 

The Bearing bargain. Renovate it only to be a prime target for theft by the looks of it.

Bit like some large old rooms I saw only 200 mts. from Sukumvit a few years back.

Rented out semi-furnished for 2000 baht a month but you would have to be desperate.

1 minute ago, kkerry said:

53 sq. mts.  I could live in one that size. Photo looks ok. Out of curiosity, where is it and at what price?

The Room Sukhumvit 21 in Asok on 20th floor at ฿7,960,000 or 150k baht/sq. m.

Here’s the listing: http://www.bkkcondos.com/Property/One-bedroom-condo-for-sale-at-The-Room-Sukhumvit-21-12181

Nothing special about this listing, I just did a Google image search to find something representative of a new build that cannot be obtained by renovating old.

1 hour ago, lkn said:

Even if you first strip out absolutely everything (including all tiles) to bare shell (except walls necessary for structural support)?

Would another 100k or 200k THB bring it up to the same levels of quality and design as a new moderate luxury unit?

They could simply be ordinary Thais. Most Thais all around the country live in these kinds of old-fashioned places, don't they?

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Condo living is community living...

How do you price that?

Around 7M THB for an upper-class community, it appears based on the example shown.

When I was living in condominiums I almost never spoke with any other residents. Only when necessary did I ever say "hi". Not everyone is interested in meeting or socializing with other residents in the same building.

46 minutes ago, lkn said:

The Room Sukhumvit 21 in Asok on 20th floor at ฿7,960,000 or 150k baht/sq. m.

Here’s the listing: http://www.bkkcondos.com/Property/One-bedroom-condo-for-sale-at-The-Room-Sukhumvit-21-12181

Nothing special about this listing, I just did a Google image search to find something representative of a new build that cannot be obtained by renovating old.

Such a new build originated from a bare shell unit. So if you strip an old unit completely down to its bare shell, you'll have the same or similar fresh start. Am I correct?

43 minutes ago, hyperdimension said:

Even if you first strip out absolutely everything (including all tiles) to bare shell (except walls necessary for structural support)?

Would another 100k or 200k THB bring it up to the same levels of quality and design as a new moderate luxury unit?

They could simply be ordinary Thais. Most Thais all around the country live in these kinds of old-fashioned places, don't they?

You better rent and live in a similar unit for 6 months before commiting more money...?

Your flip flops left outside your door may even be stolen...think of drug addicts and out of luck gamblers...

Stripping the unit entirely does not allow you to put in floor-to-ceiling windows with a nice view.

If I were to live in a 53 sq. m. unit I would put a very high value on a good view, as it can otherwise feel like living in a garage or storage room.

As for your neighbours, I know someone who have lived in cheap rooms around Bangkok, and there tend to be a lot more noise, drama, and bad elements in these places.

There are of course many normal people living there, but it only take one drug user who invites over his friends, one alcoholic who likes loud morlam music, one couple fighting all the time because they share 20 sq. m., one group of migrant workers sharing a room and coming home at 4 in the morning, etc. to make it a pain for the rest of the residents.

7 minutes ago, hyperdimension said:

Would it be somewhat like farangs building nice houses in rural Isaan provinces?

Living in a mansion somewhere in Issan would be preferable to a rundown inner city area (so long as you have good internet).

I live in an ok part of Bangkok yet only 400 mts. away as the crow flies, is an area no-one in my soi will go.

I've been there and it's incredible how two so completely different areas (think war torn) can be so close together, yet you find big differences like this all over Bangkok.

You can renovate a place all you like, but if the local environment and amenities are rundown then it's a poor choice.

Better to have the worst house in a good neighborhood than the other way round.

31 minutes ago, trogers said:

You better rent and live in a similar unit for 6 months before commiting more money...?

I'd be interested to know of luxury units around that originated from a complete renovation of a unit in a very old building.

Has anyone here come across any? I'd also be interested to know of experiences of staying in such places.

It was insightful to read peter1965's positive experiences of spending 730k THB to buy, renovate and  live in an old 40 square metre unit, though I'm not sure how the renovated unit compared to new luxury units.

43 minutes ago, lkn said:

Stripping the unit entirely does not allow you to put in floor-to-ceiling windows with a nice view.

If I were to live in a 53 sq. m. unit I would put a very high value on a good view, as it can otherwise feel like living in a garage or storage room.

Would the floor-to-ceiling windows be the only thing that could not be done in an old unit that's stripped to its bare shell?

For many others, floor-to-ceiling windows may not be important, and ordinary windows would be just as fine.

Many Thais are actually sunshine-phobic (as they don't want to have darker skin which makes them feel lower in class).

As for your neighbours, I know someone who have lived in cheap rooms around Bangkok, and there tend to be a lot more noise, drama, and bad elements in these places.

There are of course many normal people living there, but it only take one drug user who invites over his friends, one alcoholic who likes loud morlam music, one couple fighting all the time because they share 20 sq. m., one group of migrant workers sharing a room and coming home at 4 in the morning, etc. to make it a pain for the rest of the residents.

Such noise problems could exist in ordinary condominiums too. People may be highly stressed from a hard day at the office and come home short-tempered and quarrel with their partner in their 22 square metre unit which may have cost them a few million to buy. They may have had to borrow that money from a bank and have to pay a great proportion of their monthly income to make the regular repayments. Other residents may be paying high rent to stay there, also paying a great proportion of their monthly income, and the owners (who may be focused only on the rental income) may not have done much checking to determine whether they are good enough. Low class Thais can pretend to be high class with some nice-looking clothes that they got from Pratunam cheaply, nice hairstyle, and a lot of wai-ing and "ka"s or "krap"s. I think there are plenty of Thais pretending to be "hi-so" by living in the slickly marketed new condominiums but their low-class behaviors and poorly-educated mindsets may remain and boil to the surface when stressed. I guess cost of living is one way for us to try to avoid living near "unrefined" people, but is it the only way and is it reliable? I assume many of you would want background checks to be done on all buyers and renters of units in the condominium buildings that you stay at, such that anyone with any criminal and / or violent history are forbidden to purchase or rent a unit.

If an old unit is stripped to bare shell, there would be an opportunity to add extra insulation to walls and windows such that noises could be sufficiently blocked. Extra wiring and piping could be done too, depending on whatever new design is desired.

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

Living in a mansion somewhere in Issan would be preferable to a rundown inner city area (so long as you have good internet).

I live in an ok part of Bangkok yet only 400 mts. away as the crow flies, is an area no-one in my soi will go.

I've been there and it's incredible how two so completely different areas (think war torn) can be so close together, yet you find big differences like this all over Bangkok.

You can renovate a place all you like, but if the local environment and amenities are rundown then it's a poor choice.

Better to have the worst house in a good neighborhood than the other way round.

Would you say that many of the "rundown" places are targets of developers? They can clear out a rundown place and build a new luxury condominium, effectively eradicating the "rundown" perception.

Have there been many instances of developers buying out a rundown condominium building and demolishing it to build a new condominium building? I have read that 100% of unit owners in the old condominium building must agree to the buy-out bid for it to go ahead, so it rarely happens. But there are many rundown condominium buildings in Bangkok, and no condominium building lasts forever, so all of them will eventually need to be knocked down, in which case the unit owners would need to be compensated. How would the amount be calculated?

I'd assume that spending a lot on renovating a unit to a luxurious standard in a building that would soon be demolished would not be a good idea, but it really depends on how much the compensation would be when it comes time to knock it all down.

No, developers don't buy old condos, because they would have to buy every condo individually, and that is almost impossible to do. Why go through all that when there is still undeveloped land you can purchase?

Better to buy a commercial building with one owner, demolish it and start again.

In London or New York, sky-high prices mean it can make sense to renovate an entire well built historic building. In Thailand you don't have that history. Construction costs are probably cheaper, so easier for a developer to knock down and build new.

3 hours ago, hyperdimension said:

Would the floor-to-ceiling windows be the only thing that could not be done in an old unit that's stripped to its bare shell?

For many others, floor-to-ceiling windows may not be important, and ordinary windows would be just as fine.

Many Thais are actually sunshine-phobic (as they don't want to have darker skin which makes them feel lower in class).

Thais are also content living in a room with a squat toilet in the hallway, we’re discussing condos for Westerners :)

As for the limits of what you can do, the main challenge is the plumbing, as waste pipes rely on gravity, so it’s not really possible to change the location of the toilet, since it is already at floor level. Kitchen sink can theoretically be moved, but you need a pipe from the sink to the drain that has a slope.

You are also not allowed to change the external appearance of the condominium without a majority vote, so if for example you want double-glazed windows or windows larger than what’s already there, you would need at least half of the other owners to vote in favor of that.

Another thing to consider is the ceiling height, as you probably want to do a recessed ceiling for cables and stuff, so you don’t want a unit with a low ceiling.

All that said, I have seen some good renovation jobs. One guy had bought the corner unit on the top floor of an old building and then also the adjacent units, 180 sq. m. in total, and then knocked down all the walls, incl. the exterior walls, replaced them with windows though with a small exterior balcony for plants.

A nice thing about most buildings here (when it comes to renovation) is that there are rarely any load bearing walls, only the columns, so you can totally redo the layout, though taking the columns into consideration and the location of the soil pipe(s).

Such noise problems could exist in ordinary condominiums too […]

It could, but is much less likely, because the group of people who are most likely to cause noise can normally only afford the cheapest types of accommodation.

And for an upscale condominium, the rules tend to be stricter, the tolerance lower, and management more likely to do something about problems.

If an old unit is stripped to bare shell, there would be an opportunity to add extra insulation to walls and windows such that noises could be sufficiently blocked […]

I am not sure what to do about e.g. nightshift workers walking around upstairs in the middle of the night, as the insulation should be below their floorboard, although it might be possible to do some sort of recessed soundbooth type ceiling.

One thing to consider is how often you want to have your windows open.

Many of the old condos are built only a few meters apart, and it’s not uncommon for them to have a bathroom and balcony facing outward, with the bathroom having a few bricks removed from the exterior wall (for air circulation), and just a screen door for the balcony, meaning that it is not a sealed facade, so you can hear anything that goes on in the adjacent building.

There are the little things to consider as well eg thais in low class neighborhoods will not use the air con and you will be assaulted by the disgusting smell of river fish being fried from most of condo's on your floor because they leave the door open for ventilation. It's illegal but the older building juristic will do nothing

1 hour ago, zorro1 said:

There are the little things to consider as well eg thais in low class neighborhoods will not use the air con and you will be assaulted by the disgusting smell of river fish being fried from most of condo's on your floor because they leave the door open for ventilation. It's illegal but the older building juristic will do nothing

Like I have said...it's community living...a cocoon within a nest would still be subjected to the environment of the nest.