Where to live (quietish) long-term in Bangkok?

HotLemon

9 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You really haven't given much information to go on.

Salary of ฿2m, with no accommodation allowance and you want to live in Bangkok on ฿1m.

You can do that. ฿80k a month is okay but not likely to give you a luxury lifestyle.

Rent depends on where you live. Where is the office you expect to get a job at? Try google earth.

There are NO beaches in Bangkok. The nearest is 100kms away, and much further for a good one. Have you looked at any type of map?

Do some research.

And push biking in Bangkok: if you want to live forget it.

To be honest, if I was on the interview board I'd put you on the next flight back to where you came from, (your bedroom at your parents house?).

You seem to want to do no work, just post something on the internet and get all the answers... Or is that how software developers "work" these days?

:sick:

80K baht spending money monthly in Bangkok for a single person living in a condo (software developer) is more than sufficient. 

Of course if you go off the rails and go out every night to Soi Cowboy or Nana and want to bring home some companionship (I would actually recommend against that if you are working here -- you don't want your lives to collide) then no 80K baht month is not sufficient.  If you want a good bottle of wine and western oriented restaurants every night, then it might not sufficient.   If however you don't mind going native a little or maintaining a reasonable balance -- 80K baht can be sufficient.   I actually enjoy Thai food -- in fact it is my favorite cuisine, though I will cook some Italian and "American" at home from time to time.  

But before I get into details.....  lets calculate your maximum monthly take home pay....

A salary of 2,000,000 baht will likely have income tax of close to 350,000 annually if my calculations are correct - so your take home pay is going to be 1,650,000 or 137,500 per month.

If you only want to spend half of that, that would be 68,750 baht per month.  

If you work hard you could probably get a 1 bedroom condo near your work at a minimum of 30K (probably more) month....  Lets say electricity will take up 5,000 to 6,000 per month (AC + computer of reasonable power), internet 1,000 - 2,000 baht per month for a "good fiber connection" and water of maybe 100 baht.....  That would leave maybe 30K baht a month for food and entertainment.  If you are not going out and blowing 5K living the high life on Soi Cowboy and not eating only western food in western restaurants -- drinking Italian or French wine....  it is more than doable.  Once of course you take out going out of town every week to the beach area and paying for accommodation and transit (i.e. taxi there and back if you don't drive yourself or travel like the common man)..... you would still be able to come close.

Eat like a local, or eat at home and don't go off the rails and go out to Soi Cowboy, Nana nightly and don't get a Mai Noi or girlfriend that expects to be supported.  I don't generally drink, I don't go out to Soi Cowboy or Nana regularly (I think I have been there a couple times in the last few years); and I eat Thai or at home..... and my food bill is actually quite low (I cook Thai most of the time when I cook).

BTW, Thailand is very class oriented.  If you work here and you bring local girls from entertainment areas back to your place and your lives collide.... your work reputation will be severely damaged.  If you do have a girlfriend of a lower class level than your work (Thai) friends, don't expect to have them mix well....  same thing.  Keep your personal life and work life separate.

I think you are being a little harsh.  It is hard for a newbie to get good information on the internet without being flooded with crap.  I don't think his questions are that out of line and it might give him a good starting point when he first arrives.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, SooKee said:

You also have Benjakitti park which IMHO is nicer than Lumphini.

Benjakitti (or whatever they name the other part) Park is slated to get even better if current plans are held to.  

The park (120 rai; 19.2 hectares) was created from old Tobacco Monopoly land that was presented to the Queen.  The Monopoly is moving out of Bangkok and vacating that massive piece of land south of Sukhumvit (at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 4, 8, 10, 12) -- of which another 300 rai (48 hectares) is suppose to be developed into an extension of Benjakiti park.  A massive expansion which hopefully will be done properly.....   The monopoly is suppose to be finished vacating at the end of 2019.  Fingers crossed, it could be beautiful.

8 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Nana is for fugoodlovin chappies. 

Once you have it out of your system, check out soi 19 sukhumvit behnd robinson....its pretty cool. 

I also like soi 39.... But the newer condos look pricey

I am sure he will find an honest

girl in Nana who will take good

care of him.

I suggest like a few other people on here that you stay in a hotel or a condo for one or two months to get an idea of the areas you like and what each area has to offer. As for riding a bike in BKK forget yet, stay to the parks and riding a motorbike in BKK forget it unless you want to die young. 

Seriously FORGET the cycling.  I have been knocked off my bike three times, twice in the gated moo baan where we live.  Thai drivers are complete <deleted>.  If what they are in is bigger than you, you are expendable.

I have been here almost 2 years, I tried Craigs list and Air B&B, Thru Air B&B I found a nice mansion (apartment) just off Ladphrao Rd a 1 bedroom furnished (including a large TV) Wireless internet is included, but it is SLOWWWWWW and is out of service often, I had TRUE Internet/Visions (Cable TV) installed and it works great costs are about 850 baht ($22 US) for internet and 1800 Baht ($50 US) for TV (all available premium stations to include a number of HBO stations. (In the US I paid more than double that amount). My rent for the top floor (8th floor) is 8000 Baht (±$220 US a month). I have friends close by  who leased a house 2 story 3 bedroom 2 or 3 bath for 42,000 Baht a month ($1165). I am 1km from MRT (subway) station.  

I saw a couple of comments about bikes, I am over 60 years old and ride a motor scooter almost everywhere I go. I have had no problems squeezing between lines of traffic during the peak traffic hours of 7am thru 9PM yes citi traffic here is worse than Los Angeles rush hours all day long. by taxi it has taken me an hour to go no more than 3 miles, (4.8 Km). 

All the areas arround Lumpini are very expensive for rentals and risk to be many degrees more hot cause of trafic and office aircon.

My gf works north of Lumpini arround Ratchadamri BTS station (Skytrain) and we live at Krungthonburi BTS station.

Nice new condos different sizes of studio, 1bed, 2bed units for all prices with spool and fitness, common area with aircon wifi library and reading room, from 12,000 baht up to 18-20,000.

Very breezy area with many restaurants big and small.

BTS access lift just in front of home and 15 min to reach Silom Saladeng station on one side of Lumpini or 3 min more to Ratchadamri opposite side of Lumpini.

Krungthonburi area is near Wonwienyai where is a very funny old train to Mahachai delta with nice fish market and fish restaurants, or this side get towards Cha-am Hua-Hin beaches but easy by BTS to get to Ekkamai and take the bus to Pattaya/Jomtien/Rayong/Kho Chang on the other side.

BTS releases a card (Rabbit) and you can buy 15 or 25 or 40 trips at a fix price wherever you stop and in this way, 2 stops or 10 will cost fix max 30 baht. Only in case of a single stop better to buy separate tkt for 15baht.

Here the ChaoPraya river is just one stop away and easy to take the boat at pier under BTS bridge at SaphanTaksin and travel from Asiatique amusement area up to Nontaburi towards Ayutthia and some other sunday's turist sites like a famous garden island in the ChaoPraya river itself, passing by Chinatown or Royalpalace or Wat Arun etc.etc.

Arround Krungthonburi BTS are 7elevens, TescoLotus, MaxValue with warm ready made foods or 10 min walk to CharongNakorn rd with Senafest center where many restaurants and VillaMarket or Opposite the KingKong center.

On this road can find the small ferry that again takes u to Saphan Taksin pier for 3 baht and leaving from a nice little park where people can practice jogging or basket or footvolley. The rest u have to discover slowly by yourself, much better.

This is a direct and personal experience after living in Sukhumvit area Prompong and Thonglor. Then I came here and tryed at Sarasinee condotel for 2 month and liked the area and found this 1bed room in a real condo at 21st floor with open view and it's already 2 and half years that I live here. Many times just stay home and look the wide open view is a pleasure. Hope this can help you to decide. Merry Xmas and lucky 2017

On 21/12/2016 at 0:01 PM, impulse said:

That would be my most emphatic suggestion.   Especially if your office isn't close to a BTS (Skytrain) or MRT (Subway) stop.

BKK is a commuter's nightmare.  I'm not a big fan of living downtown, but I do in BKK.  If I got more time off, I'd rent a weekend place near a beach out of the city, but I'd still live close to the office during the week.

Cheers. The closest stops to my office are Siam or Chit Lom.

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP,  the suggestions made above by other posters that you consider staying on Soi Nana were SARCASTIC, not serious.

As for bicycling to work in BKK, if you decide to attempt that against the various SERIOUS advice offered here, just make sure you have a paid up life insurance policy with the designated beneficiary of your choice.

Oh, sarcasm on the internet? How does that work?

23 hours ago, jonw8uk said:

Serious question to the guys against riding a bicycle, yet recommending a scooter - you think a push bike is more dangerous than a scooter?

I thought this too.

22 hours ago, kenk24 said:

If you live as absolutely close to work as possible, a near daily commute, that time saved can be applied to your beach commute... this even works on a one day basis.. if it is Friday and you can walk home in 5 minutes, rather than a 30 minute commute home, you have already saved 25 minutes off your trip... you do not get back the time wasted in the unpleasantness of a daily commute.

good luck.

That logic is hard to argue with. Cheers.

22 hours ago, jonw8uk said:

Sure, i agree. I dont ride a scooter in bangkok at all, but many teachers, digi nomads, farangs in general do, and I'd argue that a push bike is safer than that.

Though the shit air you'd breathe commuting in bkk is another story. 

Asoke was recommended as a good area, and it is for access to food and entertainment but asoke is one of the busiest intersections in bkk, often gridlocked for 2 hours + and the bts/mrt stations are probably the most jammed at rush hour than any other station (except maybe siam?)

if hes working near Lumphini then somewhere on the silom line would be better IMO

Cheers. The closest stops to my office are Siam or Chit Lom.

22 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Convent road is nice too

Cheers. Will check it out.

17 hours ago, eppic said:

I would second the recommendation of Royal Place or otherwise on Mahatlekluang, depending on exactly where your office location would be ("North of Lumpini pk" includes three streets as mentioned).  We live on Mahatlekluang 2 (not Royal Place, but a newer, more expensive condo). The advantages of this area are (1) wide, walkable sidewalks along Ratchadamri, not cluttered by vendors; (2) almost immediately next to BTS station, which is far more comfortable than the Tube or NYC subway (I have lived in both London and NYC); (3) across from Royal Bangkok Sports Club, which can provide a soothing green-space view depending on your condo facing; (4) very short straight-shot commute to Lumpini Park, which could easily be done by walking or cycling but best ONLY in early morning; (5) short walk to the Skywalk system and malls around Siam/Central World/ Ratchaprasong. [Note that the vast majority of BKK is not even easily walkable, let alone good for cycling, so keep that in mind]

This area is much less hectic than Asoke, so if you are looking for (relative) serenity it might be a better choice, but Asoke would be better for a wide variety of food/nightlife, etc at your doorstep. We (married couple) far prefer Ratchadamri to Asoke, but many or most singles and newbies might initially prefer the vibrancy of the Asoke area. 

Langsuan Rd (parallel to Ratchadamri) is also relatively nice, but suffers from the usual crappy and narrow bangkok sidewalks and doesn't have many condo options

Thanks a lot.

17 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I was sort of thinking the same thing, it really depends on what type of lifestyle the person is in to.  A lot of recommendations for living near Asok or Nana which is of course prime location if you spend your time going out to the "Entertainment Zone" bars in Nana and Soi Cowboy.   There is of course lots of shopping around that area, but there is a lot of shopping everywhere it seems -- and shopping centers in Bangkok are basically pretty much clones of each other (actually two different major companies controlling most of it).  Shopping centers here though tend to have a good food court and many many restaurants where you can eat in air conditioning -- I think most Thais just go there for the food and window shopping but not as much actual shopping.   I think when you first arrive here you will of course do shopping to set yourself up with stuff for your condo (if you cook, or if you want a better desk setup sort of thing).... though it is pretty well impossible to get a condo (western style sort of) without being furnished (it can be annoying if you don't really want everything furnished).    Anyway, after the first few months though I think you will find shopping for the most part is not that important and personally if I need something I order it on Lazada (sort of like a local Amazon with cash on delivery) and have it delivered.  For any major food delivery (meat for freezing, bottled water for a month, canned goods, etc) you can just order from Lotus Tesco and have it delivered cash on deliver (delivery charge 60 baht -- which is often saved by prices over your local 7/11 for water or drinks that you may order).  For fresh vegetables, there will usually be someone near your area that sells it and it is better to get that stuff.  

I am also primarily a software developer, but I don't work for any companies in Thailand (banking/brokerage industry based software Canada -- and I live in a western friendly condo near Nana in between Nana and Asoke and as a FYI on rent it comes to 32K baht / month (same for last 7 years) for about 48sqm 1 bedroom condo; kitchen hob; fridge; washing machine; furnished (set back 300+ meters from the BTS line away from the noise of near Sukhumvit) -- when I moved in the condo was new and overall reasonably competitive with other condo units of similar style.  Things that I noticed were many do not come with a washer and drier (serviced apartments had a small one that did both -- but small combined units) -- so I just wash and hang on rack on the balcony.  If I used the balcony I would miss the drier :p.  AC is installed in any modern condo/apartment style unit... though I would recommend working on climatizing to a certain extent (my AC is set at 27C) it will make the outdoors more friendly.  Hot water is generally supplied by a induction on demand water heater -- I have one in the wash room..... but the kitchen and washing machine have no hot water (I don't think that is abnormal here).  

You can get solid internet connections here, most buildings will have at least ADSL -- but not sure about fibre or VDSL.... it would depend since they would have to come in and replace the infrastructure in the building if not recently built.  There is fairly good fibre here.  I use ADSL (13/1Mbps x 2 lines load balanced; down from 16MBps since price / performance was not worth the difference) -- fibre is not available in my building since I think many units are now rented monthly and a majority of the owners don't think providing fiber would make it worth more -- so no company has installed it yet).  I use 3bb which is fairly good overall...  I manage on the odd month to pump a terabyte of data through it (down of course) sometimes 2 TB -- no complaints (heavy use gets managed back during peak hours of 6pm to 12pmish).  I hear AIS fiber and 3bb fiber are reasonable products -- but you have to remember you will have 200ms minimum maybe 300ms latency because of distance from Europe and America to most western services -- and this can make certain things seem sluggish in a chatty environment like web pages..... but nothing you can do about the speed of light ... at least not yet.  

Power outages.  When I first came here I use to lose power for a few minutes during heavy downpour times daily during rainy season -- cable shielding was obviously an issue.... but no more.  I do sometimes get outages for a couple to 10 minutes early in a morning every once in a while.... sort of regular time and not during peak.... I wonder if they test the emergency systems here on a regular basis.  The lines tend to be overloaded so every once in a while the main fuse at the junction up the street blows and has to be replaced.... usually a lot longer.... Overall, not that bad for a developing country -- nothing a few UPSs can't help (though unfortunately 3bb does not have them on their equipment locally).  Average loss of power maybe averaging about a couple minutes a week at most.  

As I said earlier it is really difficult to get a place unfurnished - so furnished won't be a problem.

Lots of modern buildings.  Most of those will have a pool, and a workout area... but with any condo workout area the equipment may not be the best or the best maintained.  I have my own cardio machine in my unit that is more reliable.  

If you get a 2 bedroom for an office, your second bedroom will have a bed in it :shock1:  It is near impossible to get the renter to remove it since then they would have to store it....

The Pattaya direction -- will have beaches -- but if you actually want nice beaches as opposed to beaches in sin city ....  I think living towards the Silom directly from your work will be better if you want to go down the Cha-am (2hrs) or Hua Hin (2.5hrs) direction on weekends (family friendly - and nicer beach areas).  I agree with jonw8wuk that if you are not a night person during the week (and want to go to Nana and Soi Cowboy regularly) that going the other way from work would likely be better.  Cycling .... don't think I ever see people taking there life in their own hands around here in Bangkok...  but one thing I found is that my body missed the regular walks to/from work (I lived close to work in the past -- but not "too close") of 30 to 40 minutes.....  so although you might not want to take the BTS/MRT in the morning a short walk might be wise.... if you get knocked off your exercise routine -- just those 30 or 40 minutes morning and night will do a world of good.

Excellent. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you. I don't care about shopping. I am quite minimalistic. I will deffo get a UPS then and would like fibre. Your comment about the second bed is not something I considered. Having an office is optional at this point anyway. 

17 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You really haven't given much information to go on.

Salary of ฿2m, with no accommodation allowance and you want to live in Bangkok on ฿1m.

You can do that. ฿80k a month is okay but not likely to give you a luxury lifestyle.

Rent depends on where you live. Where is the office you expect to get a job at? Try google earth.

There are NO beaches in Bangkok. The nearest is 100kms away, and much further for a good one. Have you looked at any type of map?

Do some research.

And push biking in Bangkok: if you want to live forget it.

To be honest, if I was on the interview board I'd put you on the next flight back to where you came from, (your bedroom at your parents house?).

You seem to want to do no work, just post something on the internet and get all the answers... Or is that how software developers "work" these days?

:sick:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am going to assume that you were in a bad mood when you wrote that or something and are not in fact a dick. What suggested I came from my bedroom at my parents house? Chill. This thread IS part of my research. I don't want a luxury lifestyle.

16 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Good advice, I lived on Soi Mahatlek for 2 1/2 years = great place to come home too after a hectic day in the city.....Rachadamri train station is not far.  Really liked that area.

Cheers

16 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

80K baht spending money monthly in Bangkok for a single person living in a condo (software developer) is more than sufficient. 

Of course if you go off the rails and go out every night to Soi Cowboy or Nana and want to bring home some companionship (I would actually recommend against that if you are working here -- you don't want your lives to collide) then no 80K baht month is not sufficient.  If you want a good bottle of wine and western oriented restaurants every night, then it might not sufficient.   If however you don't mind going native a little or maintaining a reasonable balance -- 80K baht can be sufficient.   I actually enjoy Thai food -- in fact it is my favorite cuisine, though I will cook some Italian and "American" at home from time to time.  

But before I get into details.....  lets calculate your maximum monthly take home pay....

A salary of 2,000,000 baht will likely have income tax of close to 350,000 annually if my calculations are correct - so your take home pay is going to be 1,650,000 or 137,500 per month.

If you only want to spend half of that, that would be 68,750 baht per month.  

If you work hard you could probably get a 1 bedroom condo near your work at a minimum of 30K (probably more) month....  Lets say electricity will take up 5,000 to 6,000 per month (AC + computer of reasonable power), internet 1,000 - 2,000 baht per month for a "good fiber connection" and water of maybe 100 baht.....  That would leave maybe 30K baht a month for food and entertainment.  If you are not going out and blowing 5K living the high life on Soi Cowboy and not eating only western food in western restaurants -- drinking Italian or French wine....  it is more than doable.  Once of course you take out going out of town every week to the beach area and paying for accommodation and transit (i.e. taxi there and back if you don't drive yourself or travel like the common man)..... you would still be able to come close.

Eat like a local, or eat at home and don't go off the rails and go out to Soi Cowboy, Nana nightly and don't get a Mai Noi or girlfriend that expects to be supported.  I don't generally drink, I don't go out to Soi Cowboy or Nana regularly (I think I have been there a couple times in the last few years); and I eat Thai or at home..... and my food bill is actually quite low (I cook Thai most of the time when I cook).

BTW, Thailand is very class oriented.  If you work here and you bring local girls from entertainment areas back to your place and your lives collide.... your work reputation will be severely damaged.  If you do have a girlfriend of a lower class level than your work (Thai) friends, don't expect to have them mix well....  same thing.  Keep your personal life and work life separate.

I think you are being a little harsh.  It is hard for a newbie to get good information on the internet without being flooded with crap.  I don't think his questions are that out of line and it might give him a good starting point when he first arrives.

Harsh would be an understatement in my book. This is the internet however, there is always one or two.

I plan to integrate and eat like the Thais eat. I don't drink or party. Your comment about class is interesting. I am very liberal so that will clash with me.

16 hours ago, berybert said:

I thought this was going to be an interesting topic until I read that the OP was wondering what things he could bring from London to make some extra money.

Thanks for your comment. I am an opportunist. I always try to make some extra money on the side. You can always make money when you are travelling to a new country. It's called trade. Some people make a living doing it. You're missing out. I have paid for entire holidays doing this.

16 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Benjakitti (or whatever they name the other part) Park is slated to get even better if current plans are held to.  

The park (120 rai; 19.2 hectares) was created from old Tobacco Monopoly land that was presented to the Queen.  The Monopoly is moving out of Bangkok and vacating that massive piece of land south of Sukhumvit (at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 4, 8, 10, 12) -- of which another 300 rai (48 hectares) is suppose to be developed into an extension of Benjakiti park.  A massive expansion which hopefully will be done properly.....   The monopoly is suppose to be finished vacating at the end of 2019.  Fingers crossed, it could be beautiful.

Interesting, thanks.

15 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

I would agree with these comments and think being close to the MRT/BTS is important for you get around outside of work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

If it's not busy I do not mind but cannot handle tubes when they are packed.

14 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

I suggest like a few other people on here that you stay in a hotel or a condo for one or two months to get an idea of the areas you like and what each area has to offer. As for riding a bike in BKK forget yet, stay to the parks and riding a motorbike in BKK forget it unless you want to die young. 

Company pays for first month of accommodation.

13 hours ago, lujanit said:

Seriously FORGET the cycling.  I have been knocked off my bike three times, twice in the gated moo baan where we live.  Thai drivers are complete <deleted>.  If what they are in is bigger than you, you are expendable.

I hear you. Will like to see for myself though.

12 hours ago, smokie36 said:

I'd suggest looking around Asoke/Petchaburi Rd junction....lots of new condos there and easy transport links with good restaurants nearby and the airport link on your doorstep.

The budget suggestion of 25-30k Baht a month is spot on.

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Mr0Yallow said:

I have been here almost 2 years, I tried Craigs list and Air B&B, Thru Air B&B I found a nice mansion (apartment) just off Ladphrao Rd a 1 bedroom furnished (including a large TV) Wireless internet is included, but it is SLOWWWWWW and is out of service often, I had TRUE Internet/Visions (Cable TV) installed and it works great costs are about 850 baht ($22 US) for internet and 1800 Baht ($50 US) for TV (all available premium stations to include a number of HBO stations. (In the US I paid more than double that amount). My rent for the top floor (8th floor) is 8000 Baht (±$220 US a month). I have friends close by  who leased a house 2 story 3 bedroom 2 or 3 bath for 42,000 Baht a month ($1165). I am 1km from MRT (subway) station.  

I saw a couple of comments about bikes, I am over 60 years old and ride a motor scooter almost everywhere I go. I have had no problems squeezing between lines of traffic during the peak traffic hours of 7am thru 9PM yes citi traffic here is worse than Los Angeles rush hours all day long. by taxi it has taken me an hour to go no more than 3 miles, (4.8 Km). 

Thanks. Can only judge about the bike when I see the traffic but I do kinda think that a scooter makes sence if there is a lot of traffic.

8 hours ago, MaxiMaxi said:

All the areas arround Lumpini are very expensive for rentals and risk to be many degrees more hot cause of trafic and office aircon.

My gf works north of Lumpini arround Ratchadamri BTS station (Skytrain) and we live at Krungthonburi BTS station.

Nice new condos different sizes of studio, 1bed, 2bed units for all prices with spool and fitness, common area with aircon wifi library and reading room, from 12,000 baht up to 18-20,000.

Very breezy area with many restaurants big and small.

BTS access lift just in front of home and 15 min to reach Silom Saladeng station on one side of Lumpini or 3 min more to Ratchadamri opposite side of Lumpini.

Krungthonburi area is near Wonwienyai where is a very funny old train to Mahachai delta with nice fish market and fish restaurants, or this side get towards Cha-am Hua-Hin beaches but easy by BTS to get to Ekkamai and take the bus to Pattaya/Jomtien/Rayong/Kho Chang on the other side.

BTS releases a card (Rabbit) and you can buy 15 or 25 or 40 trips at a fix price wherever you stop and in this way, 2 stops or 10 will cost fix max 30 baht. Only in case of a single stop better to buy separate tkt for 15baht.

Here the ChaoPraya river is just one stop away and easy to take the boat at pier under BTS bridge at SaphanTaksin and travel from Asiatique amusement area up to Nontaburi towards Ayutthia and some other sunday's turist sites like a famous garden island in the ChaoPraya river itself, passing by Chinatown or Royalpalace or Wat Arun etc.etc.

Arround Krungthonburi BTS are 7elevens, TescoLotus, MaxValue with warm ready made foods or 10 min walk to CharongNakorn rd with Senafest center where many restaurants and VillaMarket or Opposite the KingKong center.

On this road can find the small ferry that again takes u to Saphan Taksin pier for 3 baht and leaving from a nice little park where people can practice jogging or basket or footvolley. The rest u have to discover slowly by yourself, much better.

This is a direct and personal experience after living in Sukhumvit area Prompong and Thonglor. Then I came here and tryed at Sarasinee condotel for 2 month and liked the area and found this 1bed room in a real condo at 21st floor with open view and it's already 2 and half years that I live here. Many times just stay home and look the wide open view is a pleasure. Hope this can help you to decide. Merry Xmas and lucky 2017

Thanks. Merry Xmas.

Edited by HotLemon

Since OP is not familiar with BKK at all I think you should just take the easy way out for starters and follow

a bit of advice here.

After having lived here for a while, and presumably after getting to know the city a bit, find your own preferences

for where and how to live.

I wouldnt be too worried about  some commute, way more important to find a pleasant place to live which suits you.

(btw, there are a few pieces of proper sandy beaches in BKK)

i'd go with ratchadamri area, as noted by a few others.  i read through alot of comments but i think i saw that OP will/may be working near BTS siam/chitlom.  if needed, you could walk to your office from ratchadamri.  after work (or before) you could ride your bike in lumphini park.  they may have restrictions on when you can ride a bike in the park, i can't recall.  i love riding a bike but those days ended when i arrived in bkk.  i would avoid buying a scooter also.  i see accidents every week.  i only travel by foot and BTS/MRT.  taxis every now and then.

there is a bike path that connects lumphini park with an even larger park near asoke (benjakitti).  you have to get off the bike several times to go up/down stairs but it offers an opportunity for a longer ride.

as a reference, i've lived in the asoke area for 10 yrs.  only a couple BTS stops from siam/chitlom so you don't have to suffer too long during commute but i'd move to ratchadamri if i worked near siam/chitlom.

2 minutes ago, Thainess said:

You can't do better than Nana Hotel, end of Sukhumvit Soi 4. The best hotel in Bangkok, IMHO, and it also won't break the bank. Plenty of entertainment in the area.

And when work asks for contact information on where you are staying....  it is not going to come across as too professional....  he is coming here for work.... not holiday...

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

And when work asks for contact information on where you are staying....  it is not going to come across as too professional....  he is coming here for work.... not holiday...

There are many professional people who live in the Nana area. Why would his boss think bad of him because he lives there ?

Some condos cost a fortune to rent in that area.

1 hour ago, berybert said:

There are many professional people who live in the Nana area. Why would his boss think bad of him because he lives there ?

Nana Hotel is not just "in the area", it's very existence is to serve those that are visiting for the purposes of playing around in the Nana Entertainment Plaza.....  (or the massive number of girls that are just standing in the parking area of the hotel itself).

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Nana Hotel is not just "in the area", it's very existence is to serve those that are visiting for the purposes of playing around in the Nana Entertainment Plaza.....  (or the massive number of girls that are just standing in the parking area of the hotel itself).

Well then he wouldn't be allowed to stay there would he. As he doesn't meet the criteria.

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 10:07 PM, berybert said:

There are many professional p a completely different areanople who live in the Nana area. Why would his boss think bad of him because he lives there ?

I'm sure that they just live there but have an office where have meetings and business In a completely different area....

On 12/21/2016 at 9:38 PM, JHolmesJr said:

Convent road is nice too

I lived on a soi off of Convent in the early 2000s...it was great.  If it weren't for the tall buildings you could see in the distance on Silom, you could easily convince yourself you were in a small amphoe somewhere...

On 12/23/2016 at 10:07 PM, berybert said:

Yes.  Nana is not just The Stumble INN.  I live there and my neighbors are professors, pilots, business owners and families.  It is very quiet just get a place that faces away from the main street. I love the place for all it offers.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.  Nana is not just The Stumble INN.  I live there and my neighbors are professors, pilots, business owners and families.  It is very quiet just get a place that faces away from the main street. I love the place for all it offers.

I think most of the suggestions re location have merit but I share the view about Nana: clearly those commenting are strictly visitors to the area rather than residents because it is one of the quietest and most convenient places to live. As you say, mostly middle class and professional Thais. This idea that farangs living in Nana are permanently priapic is weird. Also, rent is reasonable .

2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

I think most of the suggestions re location have merit but I share the view about Nana: clearly those commenting are strictly visitors to the area rather than residents because it is one of the quietest and most convenient places to live. As you say, mostly middle class and professional Thais. This idea that farangs living in Nana are permanently priapic is weird. Also, rent is reasonable .

Since I think my post in reply to the suggestion of staying at Nana Hotel started off this sub-discussion....  My issue is specific to where to stay temporarily while you get settled.  My issue is not with the "Nana area" but with selecting a location specifically a favourite of sex-tourists for it's convenience and access to the Nana Entertainment Plaza.  Am I wrong about the hotel's primary purpose?  It would be like going to Japan and staying in a "Love Hotel" while a company was putting you up.  It would not look that great.  Asia is very hierarchical in nature and very class oriented and thus will make judgements very quickly about your place in society and it will affect your work relationships.  I would recommend not taking any chances right at the beginning of your career locally.  If I were recommending a place for location as well as perception it would be somewhere like the Mayfair Marriott on Lang Suan as they have fairly reasonable rates (for hotels of it's type) on long stays (i.e. 30+ days) if it is within the companies budget.  

As per the comment of not knowing the area.... not exactly true since I live around the area (i.e. closest stop is BTS Nana) -- though after 7 years at my current location I am thinking of moving a little farther out.

12 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Since I think my post in reply to the suggestion of staying at Nana Hotel started off this sub-discussion....  My issue is specific to where to stay temporarily while you get settled.  My issue is not with the "Nana area" but with selecting a location specifically a favourite of sex-tourists for it's convenience and access to the Nana Entertainment Plaza.  Am I wrong about the hotel's primary purpose?  It would be like going to Japan and staying in a "Love Hotel" while a company was putting you up.  It would not look that great.  Asia is very hierarchical in nature and very class oriented and thus will make judgements very quickly about your place in society and it will affect your work relationships.  I would recommend not taking any chances right at the beginning of your career locally.  If I were recommending a place for location as well as perception it would be somewhere like the Mayfair Marriott on Lang Suan as they have fairly reasonable rates (for hotels of it's type) on long stays (i.e. 30+ days) if it is within the companies budget.  

As per the comment of not knowing the area.... not exactly true since I live around the area (i.e. closest stop is BTS Nana) -- though after 7 years at my current location I am thinking of moving a little farther out.

No, my post was completely unrelated to yours. I don't disagree with your comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone finds it in the future.

Cycling or using a motorbike in Bangkok is doable. It's busy, yes. Do you have to be careful? Yes. London or Beijing is just as busy. Traffic seems to move very slowly as it's so busy so it's easier to dodge hazards for example. There are a load of motorbikes, very few cyclists. I personally would feel safer cycling (lower speeds). More time will tell.

I got an offer and have accepted it. I start on the 1st of April. :)

The accommodation search is on. The offices are in a shopping center which seems normal in Asia (was same in Beijing).

Thanks.