Police hand out free crash helmets in effort to save motorcyclists at New Year

webfact

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Handing out free helmets !! Great idea !!

Only thing now is to get people to use them.

Recently my wife was using the motorbike to go to work, helmet in the basket.

Put your helmet on i said, but darling it will spoil my hair.

you married her

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

The root of the problem is the " handing out of driving licences " Rather than comprehensive in-depth training and testing to a high international standard.

root of roots is the education system does not train the mind to think and "mai pen rai never mind" mentality means issues, problems are not addressed and or fixed 

They have the money,just proritise differently.

Go google the cost of a descent Helmut and then the daily wage and get back to us. No way somchai the farmer is going to buy one for himself let alone the wife and 5 kids. The only way it will really catch on is if the government subsidies them which they should considering the astronomical costs involved in long hospitalisations

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Handing out free helmets !! Great idea !!

Only thing now is to get people to use them.

Recently my wife was using the motorbike to go to work, helmet in the basket.

Put your helmet on i said, but darling it will spoil my hair.

And now you know why you love her. 

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Go google the cost of a descent Helmut and then the daily wage and get back to us. No way somchai the farmer is going to buy one for himself let alone the wife and 5 kids. The only way it will really catch on is if the government subsidies them which they should considering the astronomical costs involved in long hospitalisations

Quit talking sense your giving me a headache. If you ever watch a family of 3 on a motorbike the child is the odd one out when it comes to a helmet. The child most of all needs one. The g/f's sister lost a child that way holding him in front of her driving in the dark. 

Since the police do not uphold the law, why would we expect Thai people to obey it? As we drive along Thai streets we see drivers and riders breaking the law constantly. Why don't police arrest these people as they break these laws? We know the answer: they are afraid of being shot! Hence road blocks and safety in numbers. 

Another photo-shoot, obviously staged for the press release.  You got to be ****in joking!  Giving out free crash helmets in an effort to save motorcyclists at new year says to me that they know what the problem is.  Well, why don't they do something about solving the annual road carnage, and start upholding the current laws?  They can start with confiscating the motorcycles until the owner collects it, after buying a new crash helmet, showing the receipt from a reputable dealer (Maybe an opening for the police to go into crash helmet sales), and they can start utilizing the road blocks instead of sitting under the road-side gazebos, playing with their phones because it's too hot to actually do anything.

Any bets on the total number of road deaths this new year?

Sponsored by the Toyota head office and Toyota don't make bikes but they are using their heads.

Checkpoints will be set up to make sure that traffic rules are being obeyed. I guess if you get stopped you could always say " I was too late for free hat " In my view if you can afford a scooter you can afford a hat , same applies to those that ride at night with no back light , how much does a light bulb cost ?  My TW and I are going to Nan from Chiang Rai for new year. The visor come loose and rattles on her Index hat  , so I said take the one I use for riding about town. It has a fixed visor.  I get " No I don't like the colour "

On 21/12/2016 at 8:41 AM, anthobkk said:

These helmets are useless, I did break one with my own fist just to check if it was ok. It should be mandatory to wear certified helmets that can at least save your life. Also they should educate people about the consequences of a small motorbike crash without any safety equipment (helmet, gloves, pants and jacket)

Cheap helmet for a cheap head.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:24 PM, mcfish said:

I don't know about somchai the farmer, but lots of people living in the city do have the money for a helmet. Actually, many of them ride with a helmet, just not on their head.

On 12/21/2016 at 10:48 AM, possum1931 said:

I can see the sales of motorbike baskets going up. :cheesy:

REFER TO PHOTO:

And in the front carry basket in the photo you might notice

the first blue helmet given to the driver for his lady pillion passenger.

aiyaaaa !!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

my buddy got one of these FREE helmets! no joke. he has NO intentions to wear it, lol! he asked me if i wanted it ;-)
and as pointed out, these helmets are useless. maybe if you drive 15km/h they can help but any accident faster than that: for-get-it.

oddly i got fined 2 years ago (200thb) wearing a 4500thb bicycle helmet while driving my wave at 40km/h............... TIT

Archived