Mass of dead fish on Patong Beach ‘no cause for alarm’, say officials

webfact

Mass of dead fish on Patong Beach ‘no cause for alarm’, say officials

The Phuket News

1482236221_1-org.jpg

The hundreds of dead fish were reportedly left behind by fishermen at the south end of Patong. Photo: Regional Environment Office 15

PHUKET: -- Hundreds of dead fish found washed ashore Patong Beach yesterday is no cause for alarm say local officials, and not the result of toxic shock brought on by wastewater pumped into the bay.

The alarm was raised after people reported hundreds of small fish – all dead – along a one-kilometre stretch at the southern end of of Patong Beach at about 5pm to 6pm yesterday (Dec 19).

“The dead fish came from the fishermen who operate out of Klong Pakbang at the southern end of Patong,” Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup told The Phuket News today (Dec 20).

“The fishing community there use beach seines at the south end of Patong Beach. I checked with them and they explained that the small fish were discarded after the fishermen discovered they had caught bigger fish in the nets,” she explained.

“I will remind them that their actions affect people’s impressions of Patong, and that although they have legal permits to use nets to fish there, they must be responsible and take care of our environment,” Mayor Chalermluck noted.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/mass-of-dead-fish-on-patong-beach-no-cause-for-alarm-say-officials-60334.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-21

"Hundreds" of dead fish found washed ashore?

Easily well over ten thousand of little 3-5 cm fish from what I saw. Pretty much the same size that the Thai guys fishing from the beach catch with their bamboo poles and hooks baited with bits of shrimp.

When a politician says " ‘no cause for alarm"  it sets my alarm bells ringing and my hands wringing. The same can be said for Mayalasia when the ringitt dropped to a new low and the powers that be said yes you guessed it "no cause for alarm" as they pushed the panic button.