Air pollution forces Chinese slowdown as cities close factories and ban flights

webfact

Air pollution forces Chinese slowdown as cities close factories and ban flights

Robert Hackwill

606x341_352912.jpg

BEIJING: -- Factories have been closed along with schools and flights have been cancelled in China. It is not because of industrial unrest or natural disaster. It is because of atmospheric pollution, very man-made, and increasingly deadly for both the Chinese people and the economy.

This air quality red alert is just the latest of many.

“The smog here lasts almost all day every day. I have been here for eight years, and have almost never seen blue skies,” said one Beijing resident.

Although China has made strides in ending the use of dirty energy like coal 2016 has gone down as a black year in terms of health and lost production due to poor air quality.

As the economy slows China is keen to seek ways of restoring growth, and every pollution peak requiring drastic measures brings home the urgency of the country’s task.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-21

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The smog here lasts almost all day every day. I have been here for eight years, and have almost never seen blue skies,” said one Beijing resident.

My first year in China I never saw a blue sky for even one day. My second year, in a further south location, I did manage the occasional blue-sky-day.

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

economy trumps environment until the environment becomes unlivable.

The word 'unlivable' needs to be defined.  In Asia (and Africa) 'unlivable' can be a very low bar.   I was just in Africa, and saw people dwellings which were hollowed-out termite mounds.  I've seen people in Bkk waiting for buses, while thick black smoke is blown over them from passing buses and trucks.  In Asia and Africa, anything that doesn't force you to the ground in pain - is considered livable.

Hey!  China, please come  to  Canada  and take  back  our PM  he  has  the  cure  He really  believes in  the  Great  Carbon  Tax!  He  can  fix  your  problem.  No more  coal  fired  power plants  might  help  as  well.

Geezer

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Nearly 10 years after the big 2008 Beijing Olympic clean up or rather trying to hide the pollution and they are still choking away. They can only blame themselves.

But I thought China was now leading the way to combat pollution and Global Climate Change.  That's what the American media said after Trump warned them that China would not abide by the accords and only use them as part of an anti-American trade strategy.

Oz is the largest coal exporter with 35% of total exports, with China its 2nd largest customer after Japan. But they haven't built (AFAIK) built a new coal-fired station since Bayswater ~35 years ago.

In the mean time, electricity prices have risen markedly, SA has had a state-wide blackout, but our politicians feel all warm and fuzzy about saving the planet.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

As the economy slows China is keen to seek ways of restoring growth,

Ah yes ole Mother Nature was never considered in the success factor. Business slows but more must be spent to counter the damage done by unbridled growth. A real conundrum. We are trying to constantly push the expansion envelope at the expense of people's health. Is it not called the People's Republic or is that a misnomer. 

Ah yes China its amazing how far you can push people for the greater good. I guess this will put a crimp in their GNP. They are making great strides in pushing their idealism into other countries. Much like if we don't soon get off of this planet we have ruined we will be doomed. We should run an add in the Interplanetary Gazette. "Pristine Planet Wanted Not To Far From Earth. We would like to hitch hike a ride with a more advanced species if possible. We respect nature in all its forms. Please send reply to the planet that has smoke curling out from all its orifices" Sign Earthlings.  Newsflash! China will have things under control by 2030 WOW Lets  hope somebody will be left standing by then. 

Edited by elgordo38

And this is the country that the British government, despite demonstrable reservations by Ms. May, thinks should be entrusted, together with a French partner, with the development, running and maintenance of a British nuclear facility. Clean energy it might produce, but it can also pollute.

19 hours ago, Usernames said:

But I thought China was now leading the way to combat pollution and Global Climate Change.  That's what the American media said after Trump warned them that China would not abide by the accords and only use them as part of an anti-American trade strategy.

They are reopening coal mines and once again increasing coal burning.