Visa Report: Taiwan - DENIED

On 12/22/2016 at 11:18 AM, pjthefey said:

You mean Thai visa?   Last time I went to HK for a visa was 3 months ago in September and it was super easy.    Where did you hear that there was a crackdown, assuming you meant Thai visa?

I meant taiwanese visa. did you get the 3 or 6 months thai visa?

1 hour ago, chado said:

I meant taiwanese visa. did you get the 3 or 6 months thai visa?

I'm American so I don't need a Visa for HK or Taiwan.   In HK I think they gave me 30 days visa exempt entry,  in Taiwan I was given 90 days on a visa exempt entry. 

For my girlfriend who is from Laos and they gave her 10 days in Hong Kong, and 14 days in Taiwan for tourism which was more than enough for our purposes.  Each required 6 months of my bank statements, an itinerary, a signed letter from stating that I was paying for her hotel+shopping+entertainment, etc.  and a copy of my passport with her visa application.  

We got both visas in Bangkok.

As for my Thai visa history,  my first visa was year long non-imm visa, and the rest have been 2 month tourist visas (extended for 30 more days each entry).

Edited by pjthefey

29 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

My G/F who is Cambodian only gets 14 day visa exemption, when she comes to Thailand overland or flight, she has doing that for year's. The past year she gets a 60 day SETV now. Thais get 14 days visa exemption entering Cambodia.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This is good for me to hear considering that we are getting ready to go back to Thailand in a couple days.   Does she spend most of her time in Thailand, and if so, has she ever had a problem at the airport?

She has been living in Thailand with me for 4 years no problem, goes back to Cambodia every 60 or 90 days for a week then gets another visa. Never had a question asked if she goes through had lek border on her own. Flying in she's with me and never had a problem, only when immigration fails to see her SETV and gives her 14 days instead of 60, then it's a trip to Jomtien immigration and pay 500 bht to to put it right what they got wrong in the first p!ace.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

She has been living in Thailand with me for 4 years no problem, goes back to Cambodia every 60 or 90 days for a week then gets another visa. Never had a question asked if she goes through had lek border on her own. Flying in she's with me and never had a problem, only when immigration fails to see her SETV and gives her 14 days instead of 60, then it's a trip to Jomtien immigration and pay 500 bht to to put it right what they got wrong in the first p!ace.

Super.    This helps put our minds at ease a lot.  Usually when my GF goes to Laos she stays for a month, and when we fly in and out we take a 5-10 day vacation in a new country like HK, Taiwan, etc.   Singapore and Korea are next on our list, but I've heard that Singapore is nasty about giving people Thai Visas. 

Her passport is almost full of Thai visas and Thai/Laos immigration stamps save for an HK Visa, and a Taiwan visa+stamp.

Edited by pjthefey

2 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Always check your stamp before leaving the immigration desk and get any mistake fixed immediately.

Correctly filling in the arrival card with the visa number also gives the IO an indication that you have a visa.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2016 at 5:05 PM, pjthefey said:

I'm American so I don't need a Visa for HK or Taiwan.   In HK I think they gave me 30 days visa exempt entry,  in Taiwan I was given 90 days on a visa exempt entry. 

did you get the 3 or 6 months thai visa in HK?

Edited by chado

16 minutes ago, chado said:

did you get the 3 or 6 months thai visa in HK?

It would of only been a single entry tourist visa that allows one 60 day entry that is valid for 3 months.

The multiple entry tourist visa valid for 6 months would not be available to him since he is not a citizen or a legal resident of Taiwan.

• Like 1

METVs are only available in countries that are either your home country or you have legal residence in.   I don't live in Hong Kong or Taiwan and therefore can't qualify for one at either of these visa offices.     The only visa available to me is a single entry tourist visa which gives you 60 days to stay upon entering Thailand, and you have 3 months to use it after applying. 

We returned okay.  No questions at the airport, crisis averted.   The only  thing that set us back about going to Taiwan was missing a day of tourism due to standing in line for so long, and having a month less to stay in Thailand upon coming back. 

18 hours ago, buick said:

fyi - americans get 90 days via the visa exempt entry into HK.  the OP wasn't sure if he got 30 or 90 (he's american so got/will get 90).

Yup,  HK doesn't stamp your passport, so I couldn't check to see what they gave me.

• 2 weeks later...