comparing Thailand to Namibia, SW Africa

boomerangutang

The following are some observations and doesn't try to be comprehensive.  A few days ago, I returned from a two week trip to Namibia, my first visit to Africa since a teenager. Back then, I visited Guinea.

Thailand fares better. . . . . 

>>>  more guest houses, and a bit lower price for low-end lodging

>>>  more restaurant options

>>>  less worries about locked gates

>>>  less worries about walking in cities at night.

>>>  less abject poor in rural areas.

>>>  more varied landscapes, whereas Namibia is mostly desert and dry bush.

Namibia fares better. . . . . 

>>>  A lot less noise

>>>  I didn't hear a rooster for the full two weeks!

>>>  No blaring village loudspeakers

>>>  No blaring music in stores

>>>  Radio songs are a lot more listenable than Thai pop songs.

>>>  Wild mammals can be seen every day, often alongside roads.  I saw baboons, springbok, herds of zebra, warthogs. My daughter saw a giraffe ....and all those were outside of parks.   Some non-mammals of note:  flamingos and ostriches.   In Thailand, you could drive/hike every day for 25 years, and never see a wild mammal larger than a squirrel.

>>>  better drivers

Rented car cost about same in both countries.  It seemed as though about 20% of all the vehicles on Namibian roads were off-the-road types with camping gear.  Namibians fully appreciate the wonder of their natural heritage.  Thais would rather see shopping malls from horizon to horizon.  I didn't sense a modicum of prejudice between blacks and whites there.  

kidsnamibia.JPGrocks3.JPG

spitzk2.JPG

Been there, Oranjemund, nice place to visit.

Namibia :Population : 2.3 million. Thailand 67 million.

It is also the most dangerous country in Africa to drive in: http://www.ibtimes.com/african-countries-top-list-most-dangerous-countries-drive-1556369 

Just beat out the Thais.

Namibia has more diamonds than Thailand. In Thailand, they are worn by the rich and midle class. In Namibia they are in the ground. 

De Beers are better in Namibia than in Thailand.:drunk:

Recently returned from Zimbabwe. I agree with the OP on most points, but would add . . .

^^^ Visa cost $50 for Brits valid for ONE YEAR. No Visa hassles!

^^^ No restrictions on selling alcohol at certain times.

^^^ No restrictions on buying property, as far as I know.

^^^ I love African music. I hate Asian pop.

^^^ Nearly everyone speaks English.

^^^ Very friendly locals, both white and black.

^^^ Supermarket products including booze around 20% cheaper than Thailand, but less choice.

^^^ USD as base currency. No concerns about exchange rates.

^^^ Very few tourists, except at Vic Falls.

Downsides:

*** Public transport very demanding. Packed buses etc.

*** Very corrupt police with many roadblocks extorting money. But they seem to leave tourists alone.

*** Very corrupt government and politicians.

*** Property seems surprisingly expensive. Hotels and taxis not as cheap as Thailand.

*** The economy a disaster. 90%+ unemployment rate.

=========

some added thoughts:

One of Namibia's main main newspapers has a two page section dedicated to tweets and SNM's from anyone. Around 100 brief messages per day, covering any topics.  A great way for ordinary citizens to speak up and be heard.

As for a prior poster's mention of dangerous driving.  I rented cars (two occasions, several days each) and didn't sense any danger.  

I meant to check into their visa policy for ex-pat long-stayers, but didn't get around to it.  If anyone has such info, let us know, thanks.

12 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

It is also the most dangerous country in Africa to drive in: http://www.ibtimes.com/african-countries-top-list-most-dangerous-countries-drive-1556369 

Just beat out the Thais.

Namibia has more diamonds than Thailand. In Thailand, they are worn by the rich and midle class. In Namibia they are in the ground. 

I lived in Namibia for 3 years and the biggest 2 causes of road accidents are drivers falling asleep due to the long roads (its a massive country for its population so the towns are far apart) and animals on the road. As a general rule the drivers in Namibia are angels compared to Thai drivers. If you also take the stats into context in Namibia the death rate is 45 per 100 k of the population = +-1035 deaths per year and in Thailand its +-26 000 per year. To put the death rate into perspective this +-1000 is the same that die over the festive season in a 7 day period. During a 3 week visit last year we flew into Windhoek and got a motorhome from there down to Fish river canyon, Ludritz, Betta camp, Sousse vlei/Sesriem, Swakkopmund, Estosha and back to Windhoek. On our way back we did Vic falls. During this trip we saw no vehicle accidents, no robberies, no scams, no double pricing, only friendly people. The rural poor in Namibia are very poor and plenty full but in Thailand they are just not in your face as much as in Namibia. On income inequality Namibia is the worst and Thailand is number 3 in the world. After the visit my wife wanted us to move there she is in love with the open spaces and few people. Although Thailand have more diverse scenery Namibia is clean and take care of its natural resources. Their national parks are modern compared to the Thai parks that's stuck in the 18th century. Namibia was recently rated as one of the best low cost destinations in the world.  

Thanks to the OP for this interesting report. I am sure Namibia is a great destination for holidays, and maybe for some expats too. However, do not forget that many choose Thailand for the climate.

To live in a place where I cannot swim in the sea or in an outdoor pool is a showstopper for me.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

Thanks to the OP for this interesting report. I am sure Namibia is a great destination for holidays, and maybe for some expats too. However, do not forget that many choose Thailand for the climate.

To live in a place where I cannot swim in the sea or in an outdoor pool is a showstopper for me.

The key difference is Namibia doesnt have too many asian hookers which is the draw for most white old males who choose to live in Thailand 

You really think there is no sea or outdoor pools in Namibia ?

The fact is most of the whinging old fellas on here couldnt handle Africa they struggle to handle Thailand 

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Just beat out the Thais.

At least get his name right. ??

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

speaking of climate:  Namibia has cleaner air.  half the ex-pats I've known in Thailand have split to reside at places with cleaner air - particularly for the months of March and April.

Namibia has a very long coastline, tho the water is colder than you'll find in Thailand, however, it's cleaner - both the beaches and the water.  More than a few pools in Namibia also.

Pardon me for repeating, but the lack of noise bombardment (as we get in Thailand) is the #1 attribute when comparing Namibia to Thailand.   Perhaps the #2 attribute is;  citizens and foreigners there can express their opinions on any topic without fear of dire reprisals.  In Thailand, there are several topics which are unmentionable, unless heaping praise.  Similar to N.Korea.

12 hours ago, taiping said:

Recently returned from Zimbabwe. I agree with the OP on most points, but would add . . .

Downsides:

*** Public transport very demanding. Packed buses etc.

*** Very corrupt police with many roadblocks extorting money. But they seem to leave tourists alone.

*** Very corrupt government and politicians.

*** Property seems surprisingly expensive. Hotels and taxis not as cheap as Thailand.

*** The economy a disaster. 90%+ unemployment rate.

=========

Are you suggesting that there's no corrupt police in Thailand extorting money at roadblocks (tourists included)?

That the government and politicians are not corrupt?

That property is not overpriced??

Seems like your downsides of Namibia are equally applicable to Thailand.

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Pardon me for repeating, but the lack of noise bombardment (as we get in Thailand) is the #1 attribute when comparing Namibia to Thailand.   Perhaps the #2 attribute is;  citizens and foreigners there can express their opinions on any topic without fear of dire reprisals.  In Thailand, there are several topics which are unmentionable, unless heaping praise.  Similar to N.Korea.

I travelled to Pattaya one time with a friend from Indonesia and he remarked how quiet it was in comparison, especially when driving without the constant beeping if horns.

On 12/22/2016 at 11:51 PM, boomerangutang said:

Wild mammals can be seen every day, often alongside roads.  I saw baboons, springbok, herds of zebra, warthogs. My daughter.........

Until I read further, I was very concerned with this comment

16 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Are you suggesting that there's no corrupt police in Thailand extorting money at roadblocks (tourists included)?

That the government and politicians are not corrupt?

That property is not overpriced??

Seems like your downsides of Namibia are equally applicable to Thailand.

One Swedish visitor to Zimbabwe counted 37 police roadblocks driving from the Botswana border to Bulawayo. He vowed never to return. No comparison to Thailand.

Archived