Christmas Day walk-in lunch

DavidOxon

10 man compo in the NZ Army was great. Not so good was the lightweight or freeze dried rat (Ration) packs.

Initially the canned rat packs were pretty naff....some people mentioned that the food rating code on the side of the cans was one better than dog food! But as time moved on so did the quality of rat packs.

And the Army does March on its belly.... nowadays it's a long way from WWII and bully beef.

As a young pup one day Staff comes in and says I want someone to volunteer to do some labouring for SQMS.

Ok says I as I knew SQMS was a decent sort.

I had to move a pile of 10 man compo boxes all dated 1944 which had been found in some 'Hanger' at RAOC Depot.

They had been issued to operational units as Buckshee.

On finishing SQMS, a Cavalry type says well done son just help yourself to them opened boxes.

I found tinned Salmon and a Stewed Steak which I took home and my Ma made 'Plate' Steak Pie'

She said she could not have bought better quality down town.

john

Back in 69-70 ish.

As a young pup one day Staff comes in and says I want someone to volunteer to do some labouring for SQMS.
Ok says I as I knew SQMS was a decent sort.
I had to move a pile of 10 man compo boxes all dated 1944 which had been found in some 'Hanger' at RAOC Depot.
They had been issued to operational units as Buckshee.
On finishing SQMS, a Cavalry type says well done son just help yourself to them opened boxes.
I found tinned Salmon and a Stewed Steak which I took home and my Ma made 'Plate' Steak Pie'
She said she could not have bought better quality down town.

john
Back in 69-70 ish.

Stewed steak! Get the hexamin block burning!!!!+

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

My do they still use Hexi ?

Even I had bought a small gas burner, fitted in a webbing pouch back in the 70s/80s.

SK has a large selection of imported UK foods, Spotted Dick, Rice puds, Dumpling Mix and a dozen others, all brought from an importer down Pattaya way, comes in via Lem Chabang.

john

Understand it's all dehydrated food these days for the troops.

Archived