Cancer Girl Shuns Extra Treatment

marshbags

The following article is courtesy of the BBC News U.K.

Wednesday, 6 December 2006, 17:38 GMT

Cancer girl shuns extra treatment

Josie Grove says she wants to enjoy spending time with her family

Josie at home

A 16-year-old leukaemia patient has decided to forego further treatment so she can enjoy the rest of her life.

Josie Grove, from Corbridge in Northumberland, has had two bone marrow transplants and a course of anti-cancer drugs which have not succeeded.

Having been told her condition is terminal, she is halting treatment which makes her feel ill, so she is able to enjoy time with her family.

Her parents say they fully approve of her decision.

Ms Grove, who enjoys art and swimming, was diagnosed with leukaemia two years ago when her family lived in Thailand.

They returned to the UK so she could be treated.

'Not frightened' Josie said: "I've had enough of hospitals.

"A course of drugs I took in September left me feeling ill, shaky and aching, and it didn't do much to fight the cancer.

"I want to get on with my life and enjoy spending time with my family."

Her father, Cliff Grove, 46, said: "She is unique to be in this situation and deal with it in such a mature way.

"The transplants were pretty tough. She has just had enough of it and she is not frightened of the future and can understand it."

He added that her strength of character had made it easier for him and his 44-year-old wife, Jacqui.

His daughter's courage has been recognised by the Brave Hearts charity, based in Hexham.

She will be honoured along with 11 other local children at a ceremony in Newcastle United's St James' Park on Thursday.

What a sad ending to an obviously courageous attempt to beat it.

May her time left be enjoyed to the full and pain free.

Please go to the following url to access a video made at her home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/6215064.stm

This article is sad while highlighting her bravery along with how heart wrenching it must be for her family.

Please offer support via your personal silent thoughts and let us hope a miracle may occur for them.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S.

If anyone is aware of any any history relating to the Thai side of things i would appreciate reading about it in more detail.....................................................please

londonthai' date='2006-12-07 12:29:58' post='1021919']

still there are herbal remedies and alternative treatments which don't have side effects

................................................................................

Get a life, Herbal treatment has never been proved as a treatment for Cancer.

still there are herbal remedies and alternative treatments which don't have side effects

To reduce this girls pain and situation to that statement is beyond disgusting. You think she wouldn't take anything if it meant she would live? I very much doubt that anything alternative could provide any effect with her situation.

Its like your saying, so what if she took some herbs she would be ok.

:D I knew this young woman a couple of years ago, she was brave then and she is brave now. She is aware that she has essentially sentanced herself to death. Such wisdom in one so young is phenomenal.

Any more details on the Thai connection, along with any other information, please, Leisurely ?

Anyone reading about this brave young woman who felt sorry for themselves over petty things must surely have been inspired by her will to enjoy whatever the future holds, in spite of such pain and adversity.

marshbags :o

londonthai' date='2006-12-07 12:29:58' post='1021919']

................................................................................

Get a life, Herbal treatment has never been proved as a treatment for Cancer.

My brother died of Cancer at the age of 25, let me tell you when you are terminal you will try anything. We tried water from lourdes, some pills made from something in sharks as they don't get cancer. Some of the things you try border on ridiculous but you never know, you have nothing to lose so you will try anything proven or not.

There have been cases where terminal people have fully recovered, no one knows why, in some of these cases perhaps it was alternative medicine.

:o I knew this young woman a couple of years ago, she was brave then and she is brave now. She is aware that she has essentially sentanced herself to death. Such wisdom in one so young is phenomenal.

I'm not sure I would consider giving up treatment to try other unproven options very wise.

:o I knew this young woman a couple of years ago, she was brave then and she is brave now. She is aware that she has essentially sentanced herself to death. Such wisdom in one so young is phenomenal.

I'm not sure I would consider giving up treatment to try other unproven options very wise.

In this girls case all treatment has failed. She has Leukemia and they have said she will die.

Her decision was based on her desire to spend her last Christmas with the family - knowing it will be her last.

The alternative was to stay in a hospital bed and die there.

I commend her for her bravery.

If you see what the treatment is really like you would understand why. Some may take the gamble and carry on with treatment to extend life, often the quality of the extended time though is so bad maybe it isn't worth it.

I can completely understand that someone would want a few happy months without feeling to sick before they pass on. By continuing treatment it means you will not have a single day left in your life where you will not be feeling extremely sick.

• 2 months later...

A SAD, YET PEACEFUL CONCLUSION

Leukaemia girl dies 'with dignity'

By Sally Peck and agencies

Last Updated: 10:01am GMT 27/02/2007

Quote:-

A 16-year-old girl, who chose to end further hospital treatment for leukaemia in order to enjoy her final days with her family, died "with grace and dignity" yesterday.

Josie was 'not frightened of the future'

Josie Grove's bravery touched the nation when she announced in December that she refused to undergo any more treatment and wanted to enjoy what remained of her young life after a series of gruelling treatments had failed.

She said: "I've had enough of hospitals.

"A course of drugs I took in September left me feeling ill, shaky and aching, and it didn't do much to fight the cancer.

"I want to get on with my life and enjoy spending time with my family."

As she had wished, she died with her family, including parents, Cliff and Jacqui, and siblings Freddie, 13, Libby, 11 and Charlie, 10 months, by her side.

The family released a statement, saying: "Josie Madeline Grove passed away peacefully with grace and dignity at home in the arms of her family after a two-and-a-half-year battle with leukaemia.

"The Grove family would like to thank all of those who gave what can only be described as overwhelming support during her final months and which helped give her strength and courage to carry on during her illness.

"It's Josie's wish that she be remembered as the girl who was always smiling.

"She will be dearly missed."

Josie's courage was recognised by the Brave Hearts charity, based in Hexham, and she was honoured with 11 other local children in a ceremony at Newcastle United's St James's Park ground in December.

She was diagnosed with leukaemia two-and-a-half years ago when her family lived in Thailand.

The Groves returned to Britain, where Josie underwent two bone marrow transplants and a course of anti-cancer drugs. She was told her condition was terminal and her parents, both jewellery designers, approved of her decision to halt treatment.

Before her death, Mr Grove said: "She has just had enough of it and she is not frightened of the future and can understand it.

"She is a strong character and has even made it easier for us."

Unquote.

There,s a photo of her on the following url if you wish to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jht...7/njosie127.xml

Such a beautiful, courageous young lady, how sad that for them all, that a miracle didn,t happen.

May she be in a safe and happy place and that she is reunited with her family in the years to come.

She deserved a better outcome for her unselfish outlook and bravery.

How trivial most of our problems are when you learn of situations like these.

We don,t realise how lucky we are until we read of such stories.

Let us respect her wishes and pay a silent tribute, followed by the smile she wants everyone to remember her by.

:D:D:D

Thank you " Josie Madeline Grove "

May you R.I.P.

marshbags :o