Most graft at local bodies

rooster59

Most graft at local bodies

By The Nation

8ed7b76fc6377f63aceea4ff974d2457.jpeg

Jirachai

LOCAL administrative organisations received the most complaints for alleged corruption at 1,496, followed by the Interior Ministry at 219 and the Education Ministry at 218, permanent secretary to the Prime Minister’s Office Jirachai Moontongroy has said.

The issues most complained about were: embezzlement of money or state property with 1,507 cases, rule breaking with 656 cases, procurement with 605 cases, bogus reimbursement for house rent with 39 cases, petrol corruption with 20 cases, and bogus reimbursement for medical treatment with 11 cases, he said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302760

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-25

At least they have nominated where the bottom of the barrel is. Now let's go to the top of the corruption pile and work down to meet the bottom. Starting at the heads of government and the RTP and the civil service.

True
A lot of money sent from Bangkok to the provinces, percolates at the local level.

For example, money for a new road or road repair.
The money from Bangkok starts with, for example, 10 million.
At the local level, a road is then built or repaired for 4 million.
6 million then seep into cousins economy and kickbacks.
Unfortunately, there is no or little control what was made with the money sent from Bangkok.

10 million would be enough to build a road with 18 cm thick cement and iron reinforcement.
The building is then actually a 5 cm thick road without iron.

And after 2 years, they are applying again for street repair, and the game starts again.
This is the scheme from local Obotors and Pujay Bans to suck public money into their private pockets.

Edited by tomacht8

13 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

True
A lot of money sent from Bangkok to the provinces, percolates at the local level.

For example, money for a new road or road repair.
The money from Bangkok starts with, for example, 10 million.
At the local level, a road is then built or repaired for 4 million.
6 million then seep into cousins economy and kickbacks.
Unfortunately, there is no or little control what was made with the money sent from Bangkok.

10 million would be enough to build a road with 18 cm thick cement and iron reinforcement.
The building is then actually a 5 cm thick road without iron.

And after 2 years, they are applying again for street repair, and the game starts again.
This is the scheme from local Obotors and Pujay Bans to suck public money into their private pockets.

And those disbursing the budget in BKK know what is going on (because they do the same), but for a moderate portion of that 10 million in cash into their back pocket means they are happy for it to continue. The more 10 million budgets they need, the more they get.

17 hours ago, Denim said:

The civil servants ......you mean the Democrat party faithful ?? Impossible ....I don't believe it....must be some mistake.:saai:

LOCAL administrative organisations

Obviously you have no familiarity with, or knowledge of local politicians at the village level in northern Thailand. The vast majority are red, they are red for a reason, Thaksin  handed out millions of baht to administer. Take a tour around my village and you will immediately be able to tell where the past and present poo yai baan and other village heads live. While they were building mansions and accumulating land for themselves and their special friends the cleaned out the budget for the office. When I went to the office to get my yellow book, the young lady asked my wife if we would buy some paper for the printer. It is customary, if not imperative to offer something if you want to access a local service. These guys accumulate their wealth at this level, which allows them to move into the big time national political scene.

4 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Obviously you have no familiarity with, or knowledge of local politicians at the village level in northern Thailand. The vast majority are red, they are red for a reason, Thaksin  handed out millions of baht to administer. Take a tour around my village and you will immediately be able to tell where the past and present poo yai baan and other village heads live. While they were building mansions and accumulating land for themselves and their special friends the cleaned out the budget for the office. When I went to the office to get my yellow book, the young lady asked my wife if we would buy some paper for the printer. It is customary, if not imperative to offer something if you want to access a local service. These guys accumulate their wealth at this level, which allows them to move into the big time national political scene.

It is exactly the same all over the country, not just Northern Thailand, and this type of system has developed way before Thaksin entered politics.

58 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

It is exactly the same all over the country, not just Northern Thailand, and this type of system has developed way before Thaksin entered politics.

I won't bother to argue with you but please don't try to ll me that local government offices in northern Thailand are full of democrats. I may start to question your veracity or sanity.

1 minute ago, ramrod711 said:

I won't bother to argue with you but please don't try to ll me that local government offices in northern Thailand are full of democrats. I may start to question your veracity or sanity.

I have no idea what you are on about. You made a point about red shirts and the north east and money being taken by Puyai's. I was simply pointing out this happens across the country, across all party affiliations and it has been happening since way before Thaksin was involved in politics. 

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I have no idea what you are on about. You made a point about red shirts and the north east and money being taken by Puyai's. I was simply pointing out this happens across the country, across all party affiliations and it has been happening since way before Thaksin was involved in politics. 

The civil servants ......you mean the Democrat party faithful ?? Impossible ....I don't believe it....must be some mistake.:saai:

The post I originally responded to, understand now?

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

And those disbursing the budget in BKK know what is going on (because they do the same), but for a moderate portion of that 10 million in cash into their back pocket means they are happy for it to continue. The more 10 million budgets they need, the more they get.

Imagine there would be an online database open to the public,
in which all approved funds are listed,
ordered according to dschangwat, district, village, amount of money, purpose and date,
the whole corruption jungle would then be visible to every citizen.

In many districts it is impossible for the normal citizen to get information about the funds.
Big secret.

5 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

As +- 70% of the  governments budget for local government is spend in BKK and adjacent provinces the value of the graft in these  provinces will be the highest. The BMA have been controlled by the Dems forever and thus they are by value the biggest graft problem. Just think back at the fire engines, the light show and now the fraudulent busses. But as you say the graft problem is not limited to one area or one political party, it is an epidemic that's fed by deep rooted cultural beliefs. There are however local administrators that really try to make a difference to the lives of their people and those should not be condemned with the rest.

In many places the salaries and expense accounts of public workers are a matter of public record and posted on the internet.  The bidding of public projects over a set amount are held in open meetings that anyone can attend.  In Thailand you can be prosecuted for exposing this sort of "Private" information.  I would like to see the country advance but with no interest in actually educating a population to be able to ask questions and then encouraging or at least allowing them to ask questions I doubt it can be accomplished.

10 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

But as you say the graft problem is not limited to one area or one political party, it is an epidemic that's fed by deep rooted cultural beliefs. There are however local administrators that really try to make a difference to the lives of their people and those should not be condemned with the rest.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.