Broken laptop case needs fixing.

dblaisde

This beast is an Asus X200-MA 11" notebook. A nice crack has developed. The computer works fine but won't for long like this.  I'll need glue (epoxy, acetone ???) I presume.

Is the cover ABS plastic?

Where might I find the necessary glue?

Jx9uNm7.jpg

Hp6zw5h.jpg

WqPkeSy.jpg

Edited by dblaisde

I read also epoxy with a fiberglass cloth patch (like for surfboards) would add the necessary strength to the patch. God knows where I'd get the fiberglass cloth though. Bangkok isn't a surfing Mecca. Maybe again, an autobody shop.

Apparently no electronics were damaged....laptop still working fine I assume?  

The case should just hard plastic...SuperGlue should work unless than silver looking wire is really part of the long spring-loaded hinge mechanism which would a pressing against the broken part all the time.   Then SuperGlue may not be strong enough to keep the piece in place/glued together.   If trying SuperGlue be sure to manually hold/press the piece in position for several minutes...about 5 minutes if you can. 

But to repair it properly the screen assembly plastic back plate should be removed and patched internally also, but that would probably require removal of the screen assembly from the laptop (disassembly of the laptop) in order to remove the back plate as some internal screws probably also secure the back plate in addition to plastics snaps around the edges.

I'm thinking a thick epoxy spread over a wide area with a steel backing plate sunk into the epoxy for support. The computer works fine. The problem just occurred. 

The hinge mechanism is very tight. I may have to oil or free up the hinges somehow. They are the cause of the pressure needed to open the thing. This means opening up the beast, which I probably could do but don't want to.

I'd like to get some steel backing too, luck cut away the bottom of an old pan.